Popsike, is it still a valid guide?

About as much use as a chocolate teapot when it comes to pricing. The range of prices thrown up over a long period of time can confuse both sellers and buyers. Useful for estimating the scarcity of a particular record or the ratio of demos:issues. Interesting to analyse the bidding history to track major finds, heightened demand etc. Totally misleading to sellers who think they will achieve maximum prices for their records. Of some use in suggesting what to bid to win an auction. Like price-guide books, Popsike is of interest to us collectors but must be used with an open mind.

Social source share

I still use it to get a flavour for what’s going on but it’s not much use if the last time a tune sold was 3+ years ago. 

Discogs is much less useful. May as well read Tolkien but all the info adds up to something if you look at both I guess. 

Social source share

4 minutes ago, Midnight Drifter said:

I normally apply a combination of all of the aforementioned to get a feeling about a possible price, i.e. a bit of popsike (sorting new->old and high-> low), a pinch of discogs (sales history) and to round it up I check some of the UK websites.. 

Only issue with discogs sales history is it never shows grading. They should change that really - it's kinda important.

Social source share

The issue I've found with Popsike and (especially) Discogs as a UK buyer is UK sellers have seemed to hike a lot of prices up in accordance with the raise of US shipping. So if a records is, say, $4 the P&P will be circa $15. So suddenly if a record was going for £5, it's now £15 to match the US total cost. It's frustrating.

Social source share

51 minutes ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Actually, it does show it, just click on the 'Last Sold' and then you will see everything:

Screenshot 2021-02-01 111754.png

Well I never thanks for that! 

Not used it to buy or sell for six or seven years so that’s quite the revelation. 

Social source share

Popsike just reports on the prices paid on each transaction or sale, some years back I picked up a Motown record one of only 6 copies, the listing on Ebay was mispelt and I got it with no other bids for £50. As no other copies have ever been for sale on line before,  the irony is then if anyone searches on popsike for the same record  it's last sale was at £50!

It is not a site that values a record it just records the sale prices or provides an indication over time. As a particular record suddenly becomes popular and it's not rare then you can see the trend. It's unlikely a super rarity needs to be put on Ebay.

It's just a useful indicative tool for how many sold over a period and the prices paid at a point in time.

Social source share

26 minutes ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Plus popsike doesn't show all ebay auctions for whatever reason.. over the years, I have witnessed a couple of rarities successfully being sold on ebay that never showed up on popsike. It's a mystery box..

Could that be because of how the seller lists it ? Their information gathering tool might not pick it up if its got "Wigan Monster !!!" (or the like) as a pre-fix ?

Social source share

7 hours ago, Midnight Drifter said:

Could be an explanation but the ones I have in mind had title and label listed if I recall correctly.. 

Typos could be another explanation but pure guessing here from my side..

Guessing here too mate ! The prices are all over the place these days wherever you look.

Social source share

Popsike has never bern a valid guide, too man anomalies and variables, the green eyed monster descending when bidding etc.

Your fillers have mostly remained constant price wise but anything of interest to many, any guide is out of date. You see a record sell for £200, the next seller adds £50 to that, they aren’t happy with the £200 even if 10 copies have sold at that. Having said that recent set sale history, be that list or dealer to collector, or the shop floor as we say when allowed again is about the best guide you will get.

Best thing to do is look at as many sources as possible, gather as much sales history as possible, take out the anomalies  

Any guide is good for reference though.

Social source share

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Bill-Cosby-Little-Ole-Man-Don-Cha-Know-45-rpm-Northern-Soul-Vinyl-Single/233812556553?hash=item3670507b09:g:fqcAAOSwOA9fzmcu

someone should show this clown a guide....any guide off this planet,cos the guide this chap is using must be from planet have someone’s arse out!😂

Social source share

Popsike has made a lot of improvements such as archiving BIN sales (they didn’t do this until like 2 years ago) and preserving sound clips to try to compete with the other eBay sales history archive, Gripsweat. I still think their site is clunky and I despise the autocomplete feature on their search bar, but it’s an important historical reference as it goes back to the early 2000s.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!