• Replies 10
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Guest Stuart T

Mike

Thanks for asking. Sadly it was an absolutely appalling turnout, there was enough space to drive a bus to the bar :thumbsup:

There may have been a few casualties from TOS the night before but various people who said they'd be going didn't show (thanks guys, you bastards! :D ). Shame really as its a fantastic venue but we'll have to see whether the management will be prepared to let us keep using it.

Anyhow thanks to those that did show up. I think we had quite a good time laughing in the face of adversity, and thanks to Arthur who was blinding as usual.

Stuart

Edited by Stuart T

Mike

Thanks for asking.  Sadly it was an absolutely appalling turnout, there was enough space to drive a bus to the bar :thumbsup:

There may have been a few casualties from TOS the night before but various people who said they'd be going didn't show (thanks guys, you bastards! :D ).  Shame really as its a fantastic venue but we'll have to see whether the management will be prepared to let us keep using it.

Anyhow thanks to those that did show up.  I think we had quite a good time laughing in the face of adversity, and thanks to Arthur who was blinding as usual.

Stuart

link

I guess it was another 'busy' weekend around, yes TOS on Friday, there were other do's in and not too far outside London on the Sat, and there were two dayers on the Sunday. Add this to people having works Xmas parties, saving for Xmas etc. etc. and I suppose you're left with the level of support we got. Unfortunately it was the only Saturday we could get for Solid Hit in mid-to-late December so we didn't have much of an option but there you go. The people I spoke to who came along reckoned it was brilliant music in a brilliant venue. So did we. Also, Arthur, as Stuart said, was absolutely superb. Hope we didn't keep anyone up in the City area with the sound of four heads collectively banging against walls.

Anyways, for the record here a playlist from me for Solid Hit:

Roosevelt matthews - You got me digging you (King)

Sea Shells- Quiet home (Villige)

Marquee Review- what good tomorrow (Pacific Revue)

Athens Rogues - She could love me (Stop)

Theresa Lindsey- Prepared to love you (Magic City)

The Contacts- You gonna pay (Quadran)

The Charades- I don't want to lose you (MGM)

Ike and Tina Turner - can't chance a breakup (Sue)

Ella Thomas and the Dollets- Thing called love (GD&L)

Lyn Johnson - Wicked woman (My Time)

Regina Sherard- A woman's work is never done (King)

Betty Lavette- What condition my condition is in (Karen)

Explosive Dynamiks- Whole lotta loving (Lemco)

John Andrews - It's just love (UK Parlphone)

Turley Richards- I need to fall in love (20th Century)

Marie Knight- You lie so well (Musicor)

Bobby Taylor- There are roses somewhere in this world (Sunflower)

Jeanette Williams- Something good's gotta hold on me (Backbeat)

Sandy Wynns - I'll give that to you (Simco)

Bobby Lee Timberlake - You hurt me (Mirwood)

Billy Woods- I don't want to lose your love (Verve)

Sisters Three - You can forget it (Early Bird)

Margie Hendrix- One room paradise (Mercury)

Pat Brown - The good gotta suffer for the bad (Seven cool.gif

Gracie Darnell - The bad guys (Ruth)

The Stingers _ I refuse to be lonely (Stax)

Ray Scott- Love piled on top of love (Decca)

hopefully I'll be able to rustle up similar from the other guys (and hopefully Arthur)

and lest I be accused of repeating from the night before (if you'll excuse the expression), here's what I played at the last These Old Shoes on the Friday (over two half hour sets):

Brilliant Korners- Three lonely guys (Modern)

Tony Clarke- (They call call me) a wrong man (M-S)

Clarence Hill - a lot of loving going around (Mainstream)

Sugar and Spices- Have faith in me (Swan)

Chubby & The Turnpikes - I didn't try (Capitol)

Sandpipers- Lonely too long (Giant)

Willie McDougal- Don't turn away (Kinard)

Sweethearts- beauty is just skin deep (Kent)

Betty Turner- The winds kept laughing (Crescent)

Flirtations- Stronger than her love (festival)

Dickie Wonder - Nobody knows (Golden Triangle)

Syl Johnson- Do you know what love is (Special Agent)

Charades- Key to my happiness (MGM)

Silky Hargreaves - Keep loving me like you do (Dearborn)

Superiors- I'd rather die (Sue)

Tammy Wayne- Have a good time (Boom)

Linda Jones - You hit me like TNT (Blue Cat)

Betty Lloyd- I'm catching on (BSC)

Marie Knight- That's no way to treat a girl (Musicor)

Kenny Carter- Lost and found (Blue Rock)

Chants - Baby I don't need your love (UK RCA)

Larry Santos- You got me where you want me (Evolution)

Honey and the bees - Why do you always hurt the one you love (Artic)

Duke and Leonard - Just do the best you can (Stomp Town)

Tommy Navarro - I cried my life away (De Jac)

Jimmy Castor - It's OK (Jet Set)

Karmello Brooks- Tell me baby (Milestone)

Bob and Fred- I'll be on my way (Big Mack)

I couldn't make it for several reasons but don't you think every other month would make more sense? Capitol proved that was the ideal time span for a London club and it would make each one more special.

link

a perfectly sensible suggestion Ady, especially in the current climate, and one we will consider though much depends on the venue management (and specifically whether or not they will have us back at all :thumbsup: )

Martin

Guest in town Mikey

Good to see Bobby Taylor getting as few spins in the capital Martin.

I remember Warren trying to prise my copy off me. :thumbsup:

How is this kind of tune received? I thought it might be a little mecca-ish for many London tastes??

Good to see Bobby Taylor getting as few spins in the capital Martin.

I remember Warren trying to prise my copy off me. :)

How is this kind of tune received? I thought it might be a little mecca-ish for many London tastes??

link

well I can't comment in relation to Saturday for reasons outlined above, other than I think I saw the bar man tapping his foot :thumbsup: (though he could have been kicking a small animal to death in order to cheer himself up).

Generally I think it goes down OK Mike, goes well with something equally twangy like the Limitations on Bacone or similar to soften the shock :D

Martin

Mike

Thanks for asking.  Sadly it was an absolutely appalling turnout, there was enough space to drive a bus to the bar :thumbsup:

There may have been a few casualties from TOS the night before but various people who said they'd be going didn't show (thanks guys, you bastards! :) ).  Shame really as its a fantastic venue but we'll have to see whether the management will be prepared to let us keep using it.

Anyhow thanks to those that did show up.  I think we had quite a good time laughing in the face of adversity, and thanks to Arthur who was blinding as usual.

Stuart

link

I enjoyed it, thought it was a good night. Nice mix of sounds.

Perhaps you should think about membership. :D

See you at the next one. :D

Guest Stuart T

I enjoyed it, thought it was a good night. Nice mix of sounds.

Perhaps you should think about membership.  :thumbsup:

See you at the next one.  :D

link

Touche! :)

Thanks Ady.

I reckon it was a great night. Although Lesley and I were really tired after TOS we wanted to come along to support our mates and to hear Arthur, who is a fine DJ imo.

In the end the evening was really good musically and socially, so nice to see our friends. But it is not the same when the place is empty. Not quite got the atmosphere, but the silver lining is that there was plenty of room to dance. Not such a good idea actually because it exacerbated a ankle injury, and I'm typing this at home. But it is difficult not to dance when you hear a track you love.

I hope the guys can hang on in there, and that support generally picks up in the new year. Would it be possible for all the promoters to get together and try to avoid clashes?

I'm pleased to be able to announce that following discussions with the management, who are very supportive, we will be making Solid Hit a bi-monthly night from next year, skipping January and starting afresh on the third Saturday of every other month starting on February 19th 2005.

Special guest TBA very soon, but pleeeeeeeeease put it in your diaries!

Martin

:good: :good: