Mary Wilson RIP

RIP Mary Wilson who was one of a trio who made all our lives better. A remarkable pop group with a legacy way beyond comprehension.

However, strange comment from Roburt in my opinion. The much maligned BG proved time and time again that he knew what he was doing. Would he have sold more 45’s if he had shared the leads as Roburt suggests?

No! 

It was a business for goodness sakes!

Finally, hopefully Mary will be buried in Woodlawn rather than Detroit Memorial Park.

Mary Wilson will never be forgotten as will Florence.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

59 minutes ago, Roburt said:

If Diana hadn't had such an influence on Berry G, who knows what great leads Mary & Florence could have delivered for the group ... certainly we would have gotten a few more meaty outings from them .. 

R.I.P. Mary ... 

SupremesShMusicMont.jpg

Totaly agree with you,more soul and a little less pop. Rip Mary. 

Social source share

5 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

Very sad, RIP.

Legend status as a primette and supreme and a fair crack at some solo work.

Just read she was lead singer on this early recording.

Ed

RIP Mary .Yes, nice track and, for me, better than the A-side,the Diana (or Diane,as she was then known,I believe) Ross-led 'Tears Of Sorrow' Although Mary does'nt speak very fondly of her Lupine debut in her autobiography, I think she's being a little harsh-she and the group made a pretty good first record.The only other lead Mary sang was  the fine 'Baby, Don't Go' on ' Meet The Supremes' (US version-not on the UK Stateside issue) I think.Shame she did'nt do more. With Barbara Martin's death last year and  Mary's sad passing, Diana is now  the sole survivor of The Primettes and early Supremes days.

Social source share

1 hour ago, The Yank said:

R.I.P. Mary !! 

A recent interview from within the last week - 

Yeah I saw that ... posted only 2 days before ... and she seemed really excited to be releasing new material .. and looked pretty healthy and vibrant especially for 76 ... so def. wasn't Covid before the rumours start! 

I posted a tribute here earlier today after hearing it on Good Morning Britain.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Such sad news,Mary Wilson was my favourite Motown Female Artist.

A founder member of the Supremes,who as part of an incredible trio supplied 

the world with fantastic legendary Motown tracks and more.

Rest In Peace dear Mary,thank you for your beautiful music.

458101766_MaryWilson.jpg.ed3b5ec253bb5fb418b28f193579efb0.jpg

Edited by Mustang
Social source share

Hea hear to all comments and this thread, I believe she came to Lincoln UK a few times, and dropped into Jim Penistan's shop, Back to Mono.

She had a boyfriend in England? No sure.

However I thoroughly enjoyed reading about this grand lady in Detroit 67 and obviously the music over the years. A very charming talented lady. 

Rest in Peace. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!