Jump to content

Top 50...Newly played out in the last 5 years


Recommended Posts

Posted (edited)

Which tunes played out at venues in the last 5 years would make your top 50?

Could be a new release, taken off a new found master tape, or incredibly an old tune just discovered. 

Some of the 100 club anniversary cuts for example.

Ed

Edited by Tomangoes
Spello
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 72
  • Views 3.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Here's my 'dirty' dozen - a mix of Ns ,XO & Modern Ernest Ernie & The Sincerities- Do Something [2018] Michelle David – Yes I Am [2020] Michelle David & the Gospel Sessions - Good

Again originally a CD comp in 2012 but when it was finally released on 45 it was one that has crossed over to the venues and stayed.  It even saw a second release on Kent Town due to demand and rightl

Posted
On 10/02/2021 at 09:44, Tomangoes said:

Which tunes played out at venues in the last 5 years would make your top 50?

Could be a new release, taken off a new found master tape, or incredibly an old tune just discovered. 

Some of the 100 club anniversary cuts for example.

Ed

looks like your topics going nowhere

maybe try posting up your selections,  that may get some talk going... ?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I really enjoyed the selection posted under Soul Media by The Jan on the 22nd Jan titled 'Northern Soul Floorshakers Part2 – previously unreleased'.  Great track list from the likes of Kent, Hayley etc. Well worth listening to.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

Edited by Geeselad
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Probably Benjamin is the one that I've enjoyed the most. Not sure about top 50 of all time though 

 

  • Up vote 8
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

Volumes is 30 odd years and it definitely been hammered to death for the last 20, Hytones must be 15 years or so now?  Still a good record though but wouldn't care if I never heard the Volumes again.

 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Bit longer than five years but paramount four- sorry ain't the word takes some beating, cheers

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
18 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

You might be right Sir

Here is a couple to kick things off.

Ed

What year is the Dean Parrish? Nice that. Was it released on a 45?

EDIT: Found it, Acid Jazz 2021. Thanks.

Edited by Soul-slider
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Soul-slider said:

What year is the Dean Parrish? Nice that. Was it released on a 45?

EDIT: Found it, Acid Jazz 2021. Thanks.

Think its the flip...

Less words, more driving beat.

Ed

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
20 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

 

Edited by Geeselad
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
21 hours ago, Geeselad said:

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

'Hermon hitson-  bad girl ' . Fab version imo also . 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 12/02/2021 at 15:14, Geeselad said:

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

Billy Hawks was hammered at least 20 years ago .. either by Gary Dennis or Gavin Page or both .... can't quite remember but think it was Gary.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Here's my 'dirty' dozen - a mix of Ns ,XO & Modern

Ernest Ernie & The Sincerities- Do Something [2018]
Michelle David – Yes I Am [2020]
Michelle David & the Gospel Sessions - Good Good Good [2020]
The Regime – Never Gonna Stop [2020]
Big Lee Dowell & the Cannonballs - What I Done Wrong [2016]
Cookin' On 3 Burners Feat. Kylie Auldist ‎– This Girl [2016]
John Edwards – We Always Come Back Strong [2020]
Brenda Boykin - Love Is in Town [2020]
Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon [2018]
Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That You Love (Is Loving You) [2018]
El Count Executives ‎– I Want To Thank You [2017]
Mark Johnson - Daydream [2020] - vinyl issue of 1995 CD only track

  • Up vote 11
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
25 minutes ago, Soulstrutter said:

Here's my 'dirty' dozen - a mix of Ns ,XO & Modern

Ernest Ernie & The Sincerities- Do Something [2018]
Michelle David – Yes I Am [2020]
Michelle David & the Gospel Sessions - Good Good Good [2020]
The Regime – Never Gonna Stop [2020]
Big Lee Dowell & the Cannonballs - What I Done Wrong [2016]
Cookin' On 3 Burners Feat. Kylie Auldist ‎– This Girl [2016]
John Edwards – We Always Come Back Strong [2020]
Brenda Boykin - Love Is in Town [2020]
Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon [2018]
Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That You Love (Is Loving You) [2018]
El Count Executives ‎– I Want To Thank You [2017]
Mark Johnson - Daydream [2020] - vinyl issue of 1995 CD only track

Best selection yet

Good good good...

That 3 burners is awesome.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 12/02/2021 at 18:18, Chalky said:

Volumes is 30 odd years and it definitely been hammered to death for the last 20, Hytones must be 15 years or so now?  Still a good record though but wouldn't care if I never heard the Volumes again.

 

Billy Hawks was hammered at Dingwalls in 1987 (Gilles Peterson was playing it) ......i found a copy on 45 in France in 1988.......I sold it to Rob Bailey around 1990  ....it was then hammered on the mod scene for years .....the soul scene was really late to this record.

Edited by Wiggyflat
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
26 minutes ago, Wiggyflat said:

Billy Hawks was hammered at Dingwalls in 1987 (Gilles Peterson was playing it) ......i found a copy on 45 in France in 1988.......I sold it to Rob Bailey around 1990  ....it was then hammered on the mod scene for years .....the soul scene was really late to this record.

Yeah .. as I said above I knew it was played before 2000 but hadn't realised it was as early as 87!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Wiggyflat said:

Billy Hawks was hammered at Dingwalls in 1987 (Gilles Peterson was playing it) ......i found a copy on 45 in France in 1988.......I sold it to Rob Bailey around 1990  ....it was then hammered on the mod scene for years .....the soul scene was really late to this record.

Changing demographics of the soul scene, lots of old scooter people on scene nowadays, one reason not enough 70's and 80's material is given the chance imo. 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
11 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Yeah .. as I said above I knew it was played before 2000 but hadn't realised it was as early as 87!

It was played off the lp....it was a really big record. Jon Lucien Would You Believe in Me was played off the lp too....i also found a copy of that shortly after on an ep .It was an lp cut scene really. Elsie Mae Do You Really Want to Rescue Me on King another big record that i haven't  heard anywhere else since.I wish I had kept that Billy Hawks pic cvr.I found it in Port De Clingancourt flea market in France but when i sold it i thought it had been played out too much and was on the wane.I have been busy buying all those jazzy cuts on 45's in the last few years.

Edited by Wiggyflat
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Here's my 'dirty' dozen - a mix of Ns ,XO & Modern

Ernest Ernie & The Sincerities- Do Something [2018]
Michelle David – Yes I Am [2020]
Michelle David & the Gospel Sessions - Good Good Good [2020]
The Regime – Never Gonna Stop [2020]
Big Lee Dowell & the Cannonballs - What I Done Wrong [2016]
Cookin' On 3 Burners Feat. Kylie Auldist ‎– This Girl [2016]
John Edwards – We Always Come Back Strong [2020]
Brenda Boykin - Love Is in Town [2020]
Darrow Fletcher - (Love Is My) Secret Weapon [2018]
Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That You Love (Is Loving You) [2018]
El Count Executives ‎– I Want To Thank You [2017]
Mark Johnson - Daydream [2020] - vinyl issue of 1995 CD only track

Some good tunes there. Cookin' on 3 Burners came out in 2009.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

as I said above I knew it was played before 2000 but hadn't realised it was as early as 87!

It was comped on the album Dance Juice Vol 2 in 1988 by the label BGP (Baz Fe Jazz & Gilles Peterson). This was at a time when London's dance jazz scene was in full swing and it was getting heavy plays at places like Dingwalls (as Wiggyflat has pointed out) and the World's End in Camden.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
Klaritee
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It was comped on the album Dance Juice Vol 2 in 1988 by the label BGP (Baz Fe Jazz & Gilles Peterson). This was at a time when London's dance jazz scene was in full swing and it was getting heavy plays like Dingwalls (as Wiggyflat has pointed out), the World's End in Camden.

Used to hear amazing things about dingwalls at the 100 club.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
13 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Yeah .. as I said above I knew it was played before 2000 but hadn't realised it was as early as 87!

It also came out on a (Gilles / Baz Fe Jazz) jazz dance compilation LP in 1988 and the Billy Hawks 'Heavy Soul' LP was reissued around the same time.

(Edit: I see someone else just posted this too🙃)

Edited by Joesoap
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 hours ago, Soulstrutter said:

Here's my 'dirty' dozen - a mix of Ns ,XO & Modern

Peggy Gaines - When The Boy That You Love (Is Loving You) [2018]
 

Great record. Was in fact, 100 Club anniversary 7" in 1998 and I think, played there before that.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
24 minutes ago, Geeselad said:

Used to hear amazing things about dingwalls at the 100 club.

I actually went straight to Dingwalls after The 100 Club a few times...i  went from the Wag Monday night sessions to Dingwalls.I went to the first until the last one. I only missed it if Southport Soul Weekender was on. It was an amazing place. 

  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Geeselad said:

Used to hear amazing things about dingwalls at the 100 club.

Although I must admit I was very much on the outer edge of the jazz dance scene, musically it was an incredibly vibrant time. Happy days, indeed!

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There has been some fantastic releases over the last few years, I've done several mixes highlighting many aimed at our scene BUT very few seem to crossover to the mainstream all-nighter venues.  

Is it a case of snobbery towards new releases and the need to swing one's dick proudly showing off yer new £5000 acquisition? is it because they are in the main limited presses and therefore depriving many of owning and hearing a release more often?  Is it because promoters will not book Djs who program new releases?  

Many aren't good enough that is for sure or too far removed from what we grew up dancing too.

 

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There has been some fantastic releases over the last few years, I've done several mixes highlighting many aimed at our scene BUT very few seem to crossover to the mainstream all-nighter venues.  

Is it a case of snobbery towards new releases and the need to swing one's dick proudly showing off yer new £5000 acquisition? is it because they are in the main limited presses and therefore depriving many of owning and hearing a release more often?  Is it because promoters will not book Djs who program new releases?  

It's less about the Djs playing "newies" and more about a certain type of punter who only wants to hear "oldies".

Several years back, at one of the soul nights I had in a tiny backroom of an Amsterdam cafe, a group of British "Northern Soul" fans came in right at the start.

I always used the warm-up slot to play new or recent soul releases, When doing so, one of the entourage - a friendly lady, I must admit - came up to me and commented that the music was great, but might there be the chance that she would hear some "Northern "soul" during the night.

While being British myself, my experience of "Northern Soul" fans when organising nights in Amsterdam is that "oldies" are strictly the order of the day. As a small-time promoter in a "foreign land", I eternally find that closed-minded attitude to be terribly sad.

Regardless, playing "newies" at a venue is - to my mind - absolutely essential.

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's less about the Djs playing "newies" and more about a certain type of punter who only wants to hear "oldies".

Several years back, at one of the soul nights I had in a tiny backroom of an Amsterdam cafe, a group of British "Northern Soul" fans came in right at the start.

I always used the warm-up slot to play new or recent soul releases, When doing so, one of the entourage - a friendly lady, I must admit - came up to me and commented that the music was great, but might there be the chance that she would hear some "Northern "soul" during the night.

While being British myself, my experience of "Northern Soul" fans when organising nights in Amsterdam is that "oldies" are strictly the order of the day. As a small-time promoter in a "foreign land", I eternally find that closed-minded attitude to be terribly sad.

Regardless, playing "newies" at a venue is - to my mind - absolutely essential.

Fully agree bit out isn't just the punter, Dj and promoters seem afraid to program music and Djs that isn't what the kind of punter you mention expects.  It isn't just the classic venues either, many who play a more progressive sound, not that there are any today will not play many of the new releases.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Here's a traditional 60's Northern dancer, one that's been doing the rounds recently (before lockdown!)..

It's from 1966 and only came out in Canada (Quality Records) until last year when it got a release in the UK on 'Moustrap' due to regular plays.

 

Edited by Soul-slider
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

getting some non 'newly played in the last 5 years' posted

 

if ya not sure on a 45s history then our site search can always give ya a few pointers before posting 👍

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
58 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Fully agree bit out isn't just the punter, Dj and promoters seem afraid to program music and Djs that isn't what the kind of punter you mention expects.  It isn't just the classic venues either, many who play a more progressive sound, not that there are any today will not play many of the new releases.

By the same token, look at the DJ and punter reaction to and demand for a couple of stand-out "newies" in recent years, namely "What I done wrong" by Big Lee Dowell (Cannonball), and Ben Pirani's "Light of my life" (Palmetto St). Both went huge, and rightly so.

I could name one premier league UK collector/DJ who offered me (at the time) a princely sum after I played Ben's 45 out to a great reception in Amsterdam. But, 1) I have way too much respect and admiration for that person to name them, and 2), I declined to sell - simply on the basis that I loved the tune too much to part with it. 

My point is that there are UK DJs out there with an ear for the new. Over here in this foreign land, playing new releases to a local crowd is not an issue in the slightest. Mind you, that crowd doesn't come with UK "Northern Soul" baggage.

Anyway, to head back to the actual topic, here's another of my fave releases from recent years - and it's one that serves as something of a contradiction to what I've said as it's a cover of what will forever be a Top 500 sound. Must admit I am somewhat biased as this is by a Dutch band; I'm friends with a couple of members, and I was privileged to be the first ever to play it out anywhere. That aside, even a few years later, I think it a truly fantastic take on a classic and still awe inspiring tune!



 

 

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
klaritee
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thats not a bad take....but in their wildest dreams do they think they will make any money from it? Or are they like that Aussie band who make these tribute versions just out of respect?

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Thats not a bad take....but in their wildest dreams do they think they will make any money from it? Or are they like that Aussie band who make these tribute versions just out of respect?

Ed

It sold out - very swiftly. Demand was - and is - high. Check Discogs or wherever. 

All bands are making music simply for profit and fame? Think again. You've reminded me of an old and very dated joke that goes along the lines of...

"Did you here about the Irish* jazz musician? He was only in it for the money."

 

 

* I apologise if anyone should be offended by the identification of any race/culture/birth or creed in what is an outdated trope, but it is used retrospectively - undoubtedly in bad taste nowadays - to emphasise a point made decades ago.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I know this was originally released on a comp some years ago but it recently saw release on a 45 for the first time.  It has had some action on live feeds and mixes, be interesting to see if it transgresses to venues when this is all over?

 

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

It's less about the Djs playing "newies" and more about a certain type of punter who only wants to hear "oldies".

Several years back, at one of the soul nights I had in a tiny backroom of an Amsterdam cafe, a group of British "Northern Soul" fans came in right at the start.

I always used the warm-up slot to play new or recent soul releases, When doing so, one of the entourage - a friendly lady, I must admit - came up to me and commented that the music was great, but might there be the chance that she would hear some "Northern "soul" during the night.

While being British myself, my experience of "Northern Soul" fans when organising nights in Amsterdam is that "oldies" are strictly the order of the day. As a small-time promoter in a "foreign land", I eternally find that closed-minded attitude to be terribly sad.

Regardless, playing "newies" at a venue is - to my mind - absolutely essential.

Wasn’t that the night I was playing and they ended up walking out? 

  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Both sides of the Mighty Typhoons are pretty decent covers and noticeably different to the originals. One on Discogs at £80 courtesy of Anglo American

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 16/02/2021 at 21:31, Wiggyflat said:

Billy Hawks was hammered at Dingwalls in 1987 (Gilles Peterson was playing it) ......i found a copy on 45 in France in 1988.......I sold it to Rob Bailey around 1990  ....it was then hammered on the mod scene for years .....the soul scene was really late to this record.

It was hammered on the Mod Scene from 88 off reissue

 

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 17/02/2021 at 11:17, Wiggyflat said:

I actually went straight to Dingwalls after The 100 Club a few times...i  went from the Wag Monday night sessions to Dingwalls.I went to the first until the last one. I only missed it if Southport Soul Weekender was on. It was an amazing place. 

I missed the last one because there was no way I was queuing up with all those who had hardly ever been.

I stuck to drinks with the crew in Soul Jazz Records upstairs!😄

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
15 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I know this was originally released on a comp some years ago but it recently saw release on a 45 for the first time.  It has had some action on live feeds and mixes, be interesting to see if it transgresses to venues when this is all over?

 

Superb. This one likewise - also previously originally on a comp and out shortly (due I think, week after next) on a 7"...

 

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
42 minutes ago, Girdwoodinc said:

Wasn’t that the night I was playing and they ended up walking out?

Not on this occasion. These were actually nice people. The crowd you're talking about came from Essex, stood outside the door and demanded "classics".

"My wife loves Frank Wilson. I want that f*ckin Frank Wilson. Have you got the f*ckin Snake?Hope you're not playing any of that f*ckin 100 Club type of sh*t."

With me politely saying such sounds wouldn't be heard, they loitered outside the door without coming in. Later in the night - and after numerous beers out of tins that they'd snuck in themselves – they asked for a discount on the door price. We (Pete) offered a small concession, but that still wasn't sufficient for them. They left rather miffed - and good riddance! :ohmy: :thumbsup:

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
16 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Not on this occasion. These were actually nice people. The crowd you're talking about came from Essex, stood outside the door and demanded "classics".

"My wife loves Frank Wilson. I want that f*ckin Frank Wilson. Have you got the f*ckin Snake?Hope you're not playing any of that f*ckin 100 Club type of sh*t."

With me politely saying such sounds wouldn't be heard, they loitered outside the door without coming in. Later in the night - and after numerous beers out of tins that they'd snuck in themselves – they asked for a discount on the door price. We (Pete) offered a small concession, but that still wasn't sufficient for them. They left rather miffed - and good riddance! :ohmy: :thumbsup:

Did they have baggies, patches, beer towels, talc and holdalls by any chance?🤣

Edited by Soulstrutter
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Again originally a CD comp in 2012 but when it was finally released on 45 it was one that has crossed over to the venues and stayed.  It even saw a second release on Kent Town due to demand and rightly so.

 

  • Up vote 9
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
Just now, Soulstrutter said:

Did they have baggies, patches, beer towels, talc and holdalls?🤣

On numerous occasions our visitors from the UK have had all of those! 

But don't get me wrong. I recall one guy (clearly a seasoned old-timer) wearing a "Wigan" vest at one of our nights. I was sure he wouldn't enjoy our tiny backroom pub set-up, but he danced all night to the varied selections we played and made a point of letting us know at the end that he'd had one of the best nights of his life.

It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbup:

  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. 1977...top Sounds Played Or Recorde In This Year..help
    All About The Soul by Eddies on Fri 25 May 2012
    • 20 / 1822
    • Eddies on 03 Jun 2012
  2. Top Tunes For Sale Not Played
    Record Sales by lemonde on Mon 16 Mar 2009
    • 2 / 1001
    • Johnny Sheffield on 18 Mar 2009
  3. La Lupe Fever 45 On Mercury Top Price Played :)
    Record Wants by chickenbucket on Mon 12 Sep 2011
    • 2 / 756
    • ashleysoul on 13 Sep 2011
  4. Top Records Fore Sale Not Played For 18years
    Record Sales by lemonde on Sun 01 Mar 2009
    • 1 / 1355
    • lemonde on 01 Mar 2009
  5. Top R&b Tunes Played In The Main Room
    All About The Soul by donkit on Thu 30 Apr 2009
    • 72 / 2846
    • hermanthegerman on 02 May 2009
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.