Top 50...Newly played out in the last 5 years

Tomangoes

On 10/02/2021 at 09:44, Tomangoes said:

Which tunes played out at venues in the last 5 years would make your top 50?

Could be a new release, taken off a new found master tape, or incredibly an old tune just discovered. 

Some of the 100 club anniversary cuts for example.

Ed

I don't get out that much (good prep for this past year!), so apologies if some of these actually didn't get much play, and of course some of these came out during the pandemic so unless they got on the turntable at the Covid Arms then they probably didn't get played out anyway! Taking a leaf out of @Soulstrutter's book, here's a few that made it to my turntable:

Durand Jones & the Indications 'Morning in America' on Colemine 2019

Jr Thomas & the Volcanos 'What a shame' on Colemine 2017

The Love Rights 'Talk of the town' on Kimberlite 2019

Broken Hearts Inc 'Please don't walk away' & 'Heartache (is all you get) on Kimberlite 2018

Lay Biggz Lemons 'You the glory' on Tesla Groove 2020

Bobby Burn 'I'm a lonely man' on Diggin' Deep 2020

Jerry Williams 'Oh Lord, what are you doing to me' on Soul For Real 2020

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 20/02/2021 at 09:55, Soul-slider said:

Here's a traditional 60's Northern dancer, one that's been doing the rounds recently (before lockdown!)..

It's from 1966 and only came out in Canada (Quality Records) until last year when it got a release in the UK on 'Moustrap' due to regular plays.

Carl Fortnum spin whom I got my copy off when I did the Capitol soul Club early noughties  .Dave Flynn spin as well 

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 20/02/2021 at 18:39, Halogen said:

This is excellent, really like it.

Although the backing track reminds me of "Bet you never thought about it" by the Newsounds in places.

Great sound but whats the story with it

I Actually posted this up in "New Releases" Post back in January around The 19th And didn't get ONE Bite, Not a Nibble

This was a 7" Single Put out by The Preservation Project Record Label in the USA on a 7" Single and was supposed to be unavailable for sale outside the USA although some made it to the uk but disappeared almost Immediately.

Both sides Un-Released Before and Both Sides Artists unknown 

Top Side 'Suddenly' - 'B' side 'Just Another' (which is a very good ballad)

Cost me Grand Total of £17.49 with p&p In UK

Sound Quality not the best but Hey... A Great Tune 

I Put in My Original Post that 'Suddenly' Put me in mind of 'Set Me Free' By Ralph "soul" Jackson

Hope This Has All Been of Some Help

Rick

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The other one I really like is Bill Brown & the Soul Injection - Time after Time,  again the others by Bill Brown Disco edits put out were ok, but no where near this. 

I had that Soul Injection - Stay off the Moon on Accent some years back, ten dollars off ebay, absolutely dreadful record, actually out of tune in the beginning, promptly sold it for 50 quid to somebody on here... crap track and I think I dropped a bollock on the price  😕

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Just listening to 'The Impressions - Rhythm'  above here, great track, and thought GOD!
I forgot the The Dontells - Move On Down The Line /  There Goes A Fool.
How good are these tracks...  not 'Norven' and all that, just brilliant Chicago Soul...

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

On 20/02/2021 at 18:39, Halogen said:

This is excellent, really like it.

Although the backing track reminds me of "Bet you never thought about it" by the Newsounds in places.

Great sound but whats the story with it?

I think they get unreleased acetates that are near to being trashed, cut a few 45’s  and sell them on that’s why the sound quality is ropy on most. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/02/2021 at 12:43, Chalky said:

I know this was originally released on a comp some years ago but it recently saw release on a 45 for the first time.  It has had some action on live feeds and mixes, be interesting to see if it transgresses to venues when this is all over?

Great tune, I used to play it out on an acetate I got from an LP.

Social source share

On 20/02/2021 at 16:51, Soulstrutter said:

What about this one literally 'hot off the press' on Alan Kitchenr's Soul Direction: Eddie Holman Virtue acetate

That is a right bobby dazzler and ready willing and able to be played out of my box anytime! I predict big things for this disc.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 12/02/2021 at 15:14, Geeselad said:

Top 5 for me, maybe more like last ten years, haven't got out much in last five. 

Billy hawks- o' baby

Hytones- good news

Volumes - ain't going to give you up

Black sugar- too late

Hermon hitson-  bad girl, (yeah I know you all like the other version, but I prefer this!)

On 20/02/2021 at 12:56, Amsterdam Russ said:

On numerous occasions our visitors from the UK have had all of those! 

But don't get me wrong. I recall one guy (clearly a seasoned old-timer) wearing a "Wigan" vest at one of our nights. I was sure he wouldn't enjoy our tiny backroom pub set-up, but he danced all night to the varied selections we played and made a point of letting us know at the end that he'd had one of the best nights of his life.

It doesn't get any better than that! :thumbup:

I quite line country boy by billy young heard at soul shack last year, and something played as an ender to fhe  boxing day bury all nighter by matt snesth darrel banks knocking at your heart.  ironnie hanley always comes up with some delight to finish the nights at swinton, and i fost heard him play  i cant get enough by mr percolator at tue polish club in bolton, keeping the nuns awake next doo,  it sounds familiar but god knows wuere i might have heard it before! Joe mattyews b side to aing nothing you can do , “ check yourself maybe has been played quite a bit linger tuan five uears ago at burnley bit it still seems completely new to me. . Theres been a couple of others id heard terry westhead play at my first visit to soul shack  which put me in the mood to keep visiting that cracking venue at the gemini centre  but my cognitive decline is such these days tuat id be provaly be desd before i could recall what the hell they were , and last one probably not remotely recent to many but , sean harden again playing  tue vontels ta hula hoop gives me the  vapours ! Oh sye there is one more , and its lucille mathis , im not your regular woman .which is somethibg ive only headd gamekeeper jones ! Though to he fair  hes been playing it since the firdt chemistry lane(sn*****) steve thomas put on! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Reissue55 said:

I quite line country boy by billy young heard at soul shack last year, and something played as an ender to fhe  boxing day bury all nighter by matt snesth darrel banks knocking at your heart.  ironnie hanley always comes up with some delight to finish the nights at swinton, and i fost heard him play  i cant get enough by mr percolator at tue polish club in bolton, keeping the nuns awake next doo,  it sounds familiar but god knows wuere i might have heard it before! Joe mattyews b side to aing nothing you can do , “ check yourself maybe has been played quite a bit linger tuan five uears ago at burnley bit it still seems completely new to me. . Theres been a couple of others id heard terry westhead play at my first visit to soul shack  which put me in the mood to keep visiting that cracking venue at the gemini centre  but my cognitive decline is such these days tuat id be provaly be desd before i could recall what the hell they were , and last one probably not remotely recent to many but , sean harden again playing  tue vontels ta hula hoop gives me the  vapours ! Oh sye there is one more , and its lucille mathis , im not your regular woman .which is somethibg ive only headd gamekeeper jones ! Though to he fair  hes been playing it since the firdt chemistry lane(sn*****) steve thomas put on! 

Country boy hadn't had the attention it deserves yet, possibly due to how big his others have been.

Social source share

On 18/03/2021 at 23:13, Joesoap said:

Don't get out much so I don't know if this ones ever been played out much or been and gone or whatever. On a CD-only comp about 20 years ago and on vinyl I believe for the first time, couple of years ago. Absolutely top drawer. Love this:

Quality!  love that...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

This topic looks to be turning into a list of records released in the last 5 years rather than records played at (Northern) soul venues.  Truth is very few new or recent get plays at mainstream venues.  Promoters will not book Djs who play these releases. Its a shame as it is a scene crying out for new sounds.  99% of these mentioned will not or have not got played. Little niche events maybe. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

10 minutes ago, Chalky said:

This topic looks to be turning into a list of records released in the last 5 years rather than records played at (Northern) soul venues.  Truth is very few new or recent get plays at mainstream venues.  Promoters will not book Djs who play these releases. Its a shame as it is a scene crying out for new sounds.  99% of these mentioned will not or have not got played. Little niche events maybe. 

Definitely a few places I go play these things but as you say Chalky a very small amount compared to the number of events on 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 minutes ago, Girdwoodinc said:

Definitely a few places I go play these things but as you say Chalky a very small amount compared to the number of events on 

Yes I know you do but they are the more niche kinda venue I mention.  I have always tried to play and always support new releases, particularly those I thing will suit a northern style event.  But I do more “other” rooms than anything and can get away with a bit more.

These kinda releases are still frowned upon, mainly by the cheque book DJs. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I guess the bigger events with a modern room would be the place to go to hear the newer sounds. The best filter into the main room.

Been like that since at least 1980.

The modern room was always a smaller affair.

Modern soul nights again have been niche but will survive, have to survive.

Ed

Social source share

1 hour ago, Tomangoes said:

I guess the bigger events with a modern room would be the place to go to hear the newer sounds. The best filter into the main room.

Been like that since at least 1980.

The modern room was always a smaller affair.

Modern soul nights again have been niche but will survive, have to survive.

Ed

where's that viewpoint coming from, own personal experience?

which sounds listed above have you heard via 'modern soul' rooms?

Social source share

46 minutes ago, Girdwoodinc said:

Should be one music, in one room under one roof - events with more than one room that aren't weekenders annoy the shite out of me - half empty rooms, DJ clashes and same the type of music all night (this may just be me though)

a good point

sack second rooms could be a good topic?

fancy giving it a go

• Up vote 3
Social source share

3 hours ago, Chalky said:

Yes I know you do but they are the more niche kinda venue I mention.  I have always tried to play and always support new releases, particularly those I thing will suit a northern style event.  But I do more “other” rooms than anything and can get away with a bit more.

These kinda releases are still frowned upon, mainly by the cheque book DJs. 

Karl. On my one and only visit to Stafford rangers the week before lockdown I actually asked for the Kevin Fingier collective.  Don't wanna cry no more. Guess what . Played without batting a eyelid, dance floor reaction was good considering most people would never have heard it. As its a totally across the board music policy venue it fitted in seamlessly . Hats off to the promoters.  Can't wait to return in July when it re opens

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!