JMAuction - 10/02/2021 - Results!

Zanetti

47 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thank you for sharing as always.  Really appreciate it 🙏..

I must live in a parallel universe to some.  Bottom & Co. £600 FFS. 

It does seem a little on the pricey side Steve, even considering general pricing trends and the results JM tends to get.

Thought it was a £250 - £300 record generally.  Have a feeling that Darren Brown sold one last year for around that value.

Social source share

1 minute ago, Scooterboy said:

It does seem a little on the pricey side Steve, even considering general pricing trends and the results JM tends to get.

Thought it was a £250 - £300 record generally.  Have a feeling that Darren Brown sold one last year for around that value.

Chris.  I will listen to your voice of reason my friend.  I would have thought £150. 

Social source share

7 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Chris.  I will listen to your voice of reason my friend.  I would have thought £150. 

£150😮..its not been that price in a long time.. list it at that and youd get 40 messages for it 20 of them just buying to sell it on..250 even 300 is nearer the mark. 600... well i think we can all agree that is just downright lunacy

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Billy Jo Jim Bob said:

Nope £438.....the poster is from Europe so he probably means €600.

image.thumb.png.fad02a08141eb9ae534bef872cb18731.png

Perhaps it did go for £600?  The screen shot does indeed show £438, but it looks like the auction was extended as there is still the option to 'Start Bidding' (and the time is 18:02).

A quick Google suggests £438 is just under €500 at today's rates, so £600 may indeed be the result.

Unfortunately this item is no longer showing on JM's site (some of those finishing yesterday are still shown), so I can't confirm.

Incidentally I'm after a copy if anyone wants to sell one in EX/M- for a more realistic value...PM me please

Social source share

47 minutes ago, Scooterboy said:

Perhaps it did go for £600?  The screen shot does indeed show £438, but it looks like the auction was extended as there is still the option to 'Start Bidding' (and the time is 18:02).

A quick Google suggests £438 is just under €500 at today's rates, so £600 may indeed be the result.

Unfortunately this item is no longer showing on JM's site (some of those finishing yesterday are still shown), so I can't confirm.

Incidentally I'm after a copy if anyone wants to sell one in EX/M- for a more realistic value...PM me please

33 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

The Bottom & Co went on past the 6.00 end time, John has a system in place to stop snipe bids, where if a last minute bid is made the auction software automatically adds a few minutes, if another bid is made time is added again.

Zanetti takes a screen grab at 6.00 ish so that he can capture all the items (they can disappear off the page pretty quickly) then manually notes the actually finishing prices for the extra time records.

Zanetti always quotes the prices in pound sterling

15 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

Probably right. I've never used his auction. But 438 or 613 is just bonkers in my book at either price. 🤑

• Up vote 1
Social source share

I'm sort of thinking that maybe...people buy and pay these prices from places where they don't have the abundance of soul do,s and massive access to records that we have?? If as Dobber says Japan for instance, the logistics of getting expensive vinyl over there would be/is a nightmare. They know Manships is established and reliable so pay the prices...just a thought....thank you...Rob

• Up vote 2
Social source share

12 minutes ago, Richard Free said:

One thing I would say is that there is no shortage of great soul records in Japan .There are quite a few guys that I know with killer collections .Not just northern but great sweet soul and funk etc 

I wouldn't be surprised if they are a second to us Brits for the amount of soul records over there ??

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Seriously... If you think the Japanese buyers (or a lot of the buyers in mainland Europe) are less hip to today’s prices/marketplace than your average UK buyer, maybe it’s time to think again.

Edit: Not saying the Bottom & Co price (or a fair few other JM auction finishing prices) is anything other than insane. Who knows who buys these items at these prices?:)

Edited by Ladymidnight
Clarification
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Ficklefingers said:

I wouldn't be surprised if they are a second to us Brits for the amount of soul records over there ??

I remember Garry Cape telling me many years ago when i first started collecting,that the reason so many records were difficult to get hold of was that while we were chasing them for the northern side the Japanese wanted the same record for the deep soul flip. Chris. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

4 hours ago, Woodbutcher said:

Why does everyone get all knicker-twisted about John's auction results every bloody week ... ?

Seems that most folk are stuck in 1992 as far as prices are concerned and get a real twist on when someone with deeper pockets than them outbids them in 2021 , it's a bloody auction for Pete's sake , no matter what auction you attend whether it be books , racehorses , cars , records , antiques , etc ,etc , there will always be someone in the room with more cash than you and if they want an item they'll get it .

Simple answer ... if you have decent items to sell in tip-top condition then chuck 'em John's way and he'll get top dollar for them generally ... but if you're looking to buy on a budget or are stuck in the timewarp then stick to fleabay or other set sale sites.

Ah, but it’s not just about the prices. Some of the final values are ludicrous for the discs in question as they are not scarce and/or lacking in quality. Many of the items are simply not auction items. Just lately, some of the records have not been in ‘tip-top’ condition - more than a few have sold for less than top dollar. Some of the records, presumably sold on commission, will have realised less than the owner was hoping for. Some of John’s hype exaggerates the merits of records up for grabs but is always worth reading. Each stupidly sky-high price distorts the market and encourages greedy sellers to up their prices. John’s weekly auction is still way more interesting than others around - that’s what prompts discussion.

Social source share

9 hours ago, Martyn Pitt said:

The Bottom & Co went on past the 6.00 end time, John has a system in place to stop snipe bids, where if a last minute bid is made the auction software automatically adds a few minutes, if another bid is made time is added again.

Zanetti takes a screen grab at 6.00 ish so that he can capture all the items (they can disappear off the page pretty quickly) then manually notes the actually finishing prices for the extra time records.

Zanetti always quotes the prices in pound sterling

id disagree with snipe bids ,,if an auction ends at 6pm it should end at 6pm...ill never bid on an auction like this ever again

Social source share

11 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

I remember Garry Cape telling me many years ago when i first started collecting,that the reason so many records were difficult to get hold of was that while we were chasing them for the northern side the Japanese wanted the same record for the deep soul flip. Chris. 

Exactly. That's what i mean, too.

Best example: A few years ago a collector from Japan asked me about my "Cleveland Robinson - Let It Be Me" via Discogs. He asked me if I would be willing to trade or sell it. The usual.

It took a few short chats until I understood that this is the flip of the 1006 Nosnibor "Boy" record ...

Deep soul is very big in Japan - sirshambling, the luminary in this field, once wrote that he knows very crazy, enthusiastic collectors.

... and I also suspect that the necessary small change is a little looser there.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!