NICK ALLEN -HARD WAY TO GO

Rick Scott

1 hour ago, Rick Scott said:

I dug this of my shelf  a day or two back and put up in the Favourites 2021 Thread and a Fellow Member

recommended i put it up here so, here it is, quite a hard single to come by by all accounts 

Enjoy a Wonderful Slab of Soul Music Of the Highest Order..... Rick 

Nice one and so perhaps someone can shout out about Nick, I believe his son (Junior) was in The Modulations

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Psamsara said:

Aha. It seemed rather odd. Why are you UK chaps using ton for 100? :D

The original usage of ton referring to £100 appears to be from Cockney Rhyming Slang, a word construction which relied both on phonetic but also on semantic links between words “in which case the person coining the slang term sees a semantic link, sometimes jocular, between the Cockney expression and its referent”.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/417176/how-did-a-ton-come-to-mean-one-hundred-of-something

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

40 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

The original usage of ton referring to £100 appears to be from Cockney Rhyming Slang, a word construction which relied both on phonetic but also on semantic links between words “in which case the person coining the slang term sees a semantic link, sometimes jocular, between the Cockney expression and its referent”.

https://english.stackexchange.com/questions/417176/how-did-a-ton-come-to-mean-one-hundred-of-something

Cheers for that :hatsoff2:

Social source share

1 hour ago, Shinehead said:

As much as I respect the people's above views to me this record is poor to my cloth ears ., the backing singers sound as though they were on mogodon.

But it's all about opinions mine is no better or worse than anyone's else's . 

And That's the nice thing about Record Collecting, being Honest about How you hear a record and how other people may hear them are two different things, we can't all have the same taste which is the way it should be,

And As The Saying Goes, One persons Junk Can be Another Persons Treasure 😃

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 14/02/2021 at 09:44, Blackpoolsoul said:

Nice one and so perhaps someone can shout out about Nick, I believe his son (Junior) was in The Modulations

According to discogs, Nick was a member of the Four Internes (aka Internes) who recorded for Federal and Vee Jay in the 50's. 

4.jpg

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Jnixon said:

Nice enough mix tape tune for the car or home pleasure. 

Not worth anywhere near a long un in my view which is why I sold the copies I had as soon as they reached over that. 

Did seem very popular a decade or so ago though.

It was big in the mid 80s and then had a revival 10 years ago, give or take a year or two

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Great, super deep version of Lee Moses' "What You Don't Want Me To Be" on the flipside.

Strange that Moses version is credited to himself as songwriter and the Nick Allen version is credited to Bobby Dixon though. :g:

I just assume that Moses was first, but might be the other way around?

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 15/02/2021 at 12:53, Rick Scott said:

And That's the nice thing about Record Collecting, being Honest about How you hear a record and how other people may hear them are two different things, we can't all have the same taste which is the way it should be,

And As The Saying Goes, One persons Junk Can be Another Persons Treasure 😃

Aha, he was a barber William “Nick” Allen, Sr. and I was correct (for once)

https://www.bullcitysoul.org/nick-allen.html

• Up vote 2
Social source share

9 hours ago, Sebastian said:

Great, super deep version of Lee Moses' "What You Don't Want Me To Be" on the flipside.

Strange that Moses version is credited to himself as songwriter and the Nick Allen version is credited to Bobby Dixon though. :g:

I

The album version credits Gibson. Where does it show Moses as the writer? 

Lee.jpg

Social source share

14 hours ago, The Yank said:

The album version credits Gibson. Where does it show Moses as the writer? 

Lee.jpg

You're right! I should've checked that more thoroughly...

When I did my previous post I just had a quick glance at my Castle label Lee Moses compilation from 2007, and it credits Moses, seemingly incorrectly:

moses.jpg

Social source share

41 minutes ago, Sebastian said:

That's why Castle did it wrong (they probs did same as you 😀 or vice versa)........ BMI sometimes (like me) is way out wrong

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Thanks Guys for ALL your comments, interesting info gleamed along the way and a few laughs thrown in also. 
What i love about records like this and has me going back to them time and time again is Nick went into the Studio and recorded the Song the way He Felt it needed to be, Raw Honest To Goodness Soul, Warts and All  Lets face it i would rather have it That Way, Not All Spit And Polish, Great records Don't Have To Be Perfect but just has that something to Grab You, 

It makes me think about records like Little Richies "Just Another Heartache"  With That "Duff" Trumpet Note

that Everyone Joked about at the time , Yea we all Knew it was coming while we were on the dance floor, and yes Richie could have asked for a Re-Take but Hey, we would have been Robed of a Great Talking Point. On Top Of That Makes you wonder how Much Leg Pulling the Horn Player got for that Famous 'Bum Note', this is just what music is all about. Rick 🎺😱

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

37 minutes ago, Rick Scott said:

Thanks Guys for ALL your comments, interesting info gleamed along the way and a few laughs thrown in also. 
What i love about records like this and has me going back to them time and time again is Nick went into the Studio and recorded the Song the way He Felt it needed to be, Raw Honest To Goodness Soul, Warts and All  Lets face it i would rather have it That Way, Not All Spit And Polish, Great records Don't Have To Be Perfect but just has that something to Grab You, 

It makes me think about records like Little Richies "Just Another Heartache"  With That "Duff" Trumpet Note

that Everyone Joked about at the time , Yea we all Knew it was coming while we were on the dance floor, and yes Richie could have asked for a Re-Take but Hey, we would have been Robed of a Great Talking Point. On Top Of That Makes you wonder how Much Leg Pulling the Horn Player got for that Famous 'Bum Note', this is just what music is all about. Rick 🎺😱

Through your opening post I have listened to this often and it has now got me singing the chorus in my head at  regular intervals .

I can do without the backing singers though , they are dire 👍

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 months later...
On 27/02/2021 at 04:11, Weingarden said:

I think most Americans who like this one prefer the deep side. (At least that's why I have it.)

Yes, the Deep Side IS Wonderful Too Which makes it such a great Double Sider and  wanted Item the more people get to hear it 🙂

• Up vote 2
Social source share

On 14/02/2021 at 14:39, Rick Scott said:

I dug this of my shelf  a day or two back and put up in the Favourites 2021 Thread and a Fellow Member

recommended i put it up here so, here it is, quite a hard single to come by by all accounts 

Enjoy a Wonderful Slab of Soul Music Of the Highest Order..... Rick 

Still have my copy from the 80ts and still love it👍

Edited by Bossfourpart1
Missing word
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!