Carlton Club. Warrington

https://www.warringtonguardian.co.uk/news/19101161.new-cafe-bistro-named-warringtons-carlton-club/

This was one of the most iconic soul clubs in the country and is being remembered.  

It was a trip into enemy territory  ( Rugby league rivals ) for me and the many Widnes soulies that made the 7 mile journey on a weekly basis. Had some special nights there and made lifelong friends.  

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Lionelonthevinyl said:

Interesting stuff Steve... Who were the dj,s?? Good records??......Rob

Rob. The DJ, s where Brian Rae , Keith Brady  ( rip  ) Biff ( rip ) Dave Langley  ( rip ) among others for the northern nights plus they used to have a jazz funk / modern soul night on Sundays run by a fella who,s name escapes me at the moment. ( Kev somebody who used to run Newton cricket club nights. ) They also had artists on. Only went a few of those because it clashed with a fantastic soul night in Widnes at the navy club.  The last time it was decorated they removed some plasterboard walls and behind them was original posters from when the likes of Jackie Wilson appeared at the club. That would have been amazing to see them.  Don't know what happened to them. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

I have a very vague memory of going to the Carlton Club,to see Jackie Wilson,only to get there and find the show cancelled,due to illness.This would have been around 1970/71 .I think this was a Sunday night. The club was a comfortable walk from the railway station and was upstairs,if I remember rightly.I think I went on several more occasions,around that period but never saw any other live acts there.It seems such a long time ago,I hope I haven’t dreamt it all!,

Clive.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

The entrance to the club was indeed up a steep staircase after going through what looked like a normal  front door in-between two shops. Clive your memories are correct about the Sunday night as the soul night's where on different nights over the years and only a 5 minute walk from either Bank Quay or Central  train stations. 

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

16 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

The entrance to the club was indeed up a steep staircase after going through what looked like a normal  front door in-between two shops. Clive your memories are correct about the Sunday night as the soul night's where on different nights over the years and only a 5 minute walk from either Bank Quay or Central  train stations. 

There's some fantastic stuff here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2730553478/

• Thanks 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

There's some fantastic stuff here

https://www.facebook.com/groups/2730553478/

Just had a look on Lou,s Facebook page. Some brilliant pictures and memories.  The DJ I couldn't remember his name was Kev Edwards. , and it also reminded me of Friar Tuck DJ . Who I had completely forgotten about.  Thank you 🙏

Had even forgotten about these dayers. Just downloaded this from the Carlton club Facebook page 

Ste

20210220_125234.jpg

Edited by Winsford Soul
Social source share

• 1 month later...

A venue I fondly remember attending with Keith bless him. A small dance floor and bar that got full really quickly and the dj in a small booth. Had some good nights there late 70's plus got some nice records of Keith too! I think the last time I attended Nick Cowen was the guest and I went running up to him after he played Terry Callier Look At Me Now to ask him what it was and what label.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

First went to Carlton in July 69 mid week if I can remember possibly Wednesday night packed to rafters playing Tamla  Stax and what later became NS an old friend of mine was working the door Walter o Malley who later became Mr World DJing  that night was Kev Edwards who was in the same class as me at school, it’s amazing how mid week venues did so well as opposed to today not withstanding COVID  different times then maybe better Rose tinted glasses come to mind. 
Stay Safe

ML

Social source share

I attended this place in the late 80s on my scooter from north wales.

It was in the week (cant remember which day)

That club had a fab sound system, I remember hearing Freddie Houston being played, totally spectacular on that system. 

Riding back half cut at midnight and still getting to work on time.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!