Source Members life skill/tips

Posted

here are...

With both the wisdom and the amount of years past that we members all share between us all, am sure there are many 'life skills' or 'tips' that we may have picked up over the years, which may turn out to be just about useful in some odd way to others...

get things going, one from me first off

The spelling of 'rhythm'.

I used to struggle for years with the spelling of this and it is one that does come up a lot when involved in a soul related website

a recent post by @Len showed that am not the only one who hits this mental block (and brought about this topic)

The way I now get around the spelling is to think of the north wales seaside town Rhyl and then add 'the hughes method'

rhyl - thm = rhythm

that works for me- maybe will someone else

any other members life skills/tips out there, as said they don't have to be 'world beaters'...

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 22
  • Views 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

here are... With both the wisdom and the amount of years past that we members all share between us all, am sure there are many 'life skills' or 'tips' that we may have picked up over the years, w

Having worked in the engineering/maintenance/ construction  industry all my life ( for my sins ) the saying  Measure twice - cut once is the absolute statement. 

one saying that picked up and have never stopped using it x years later, any time do anything with a hammer 'when I nod my head you hit it'

Posted
1 hour ago, Mike said:

here are...

With both the wisdom and the amount of years past that we members all share between us all, am sure there are many 'life skills' or 'tips' that we may have picked up over the years, which may turn out to be just about useful in some odd way to others...

get thinsg going, one from me first off

I used to struggle for years with the spelling of this and it is one that does come up a lot when involved in a soul related website

a recent post by @Len showed that am not the only one who hits this mental block (and brought about this topic)

The way I now get around the spelling is to think of the north wales seaside town Rhyl and then add 'the hughes method'

rhyl - thm = rhythm

any other members life skills/tips out there, as said they don't have to be 'world beaters'...

Rhythm Helps Your Two Hips Move

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

one from my mum, that worked well

teaching someone to ride a bike

if you are teaching ya kids to ride a bike then do it on a long gentle slope

that way as they are going downhill, they only have to master the balance skill at first - once they have that cracked the pedalling bit is easy

wooosh.........

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Todays obvious piece of info!😀

If you need to saw wood or metal, keep your intended cut as near to a underneath support as possible. Let the off cut hang out in midair, so it's weight keeps the cut open and saw free to move.💪

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Many years ago when I was working on building sites our foreman would say ' we're doing floors tomorrow (the old way, hammer and nails) so put plasters on your fingers before you start so we don't have to stop when you whack your fingers.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Having worked in the engineering/maintenance/ construction  industry all my life ( for my sins ) the saying  Measure twice - cut once is the absolute statement. 

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Mike said:

here are...

get thinsg going, one from me first off

rhyl - thm = rhythm

Glad it isn't just me Mike.....

@Mace DJed for me in the 80's at (The village of) 'Wollaston Rhythm and Soul Club' - My mum had painted me a White on Black banner under my 'strict' instructions, and yeh, unfortunatelly I had spelt 'Rhythm' (Still had to think about that) wrong......Many years later I bumbed in to Mace, and he relayed the miss-spelt Rhythm story to whoever was around - I had actuallty forgotten about it until that moment :D

One thing that I have learnt in life (apart from 'Measure twice - cut once), is that old saying 'There's nowt queer as folk'.  Very hard to explain, and something I wish I could teach my children (They'll just have to learn as they go).....In every situation, I always expect people's reaction to be what reaction I would give, and it blows my mind when the reaction I get is any different.  My mind still boggles that some people don't seem to see the other person's point of view / or at least is sypathetic to someone else's view (A respect thing I guess)

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

6 hours ago, Wicked said:

Many years ago when I was working on building sites our foreman would say ' we're doing floors tomorrow (the old way, hammer and nails) so put plasters on your fingers before you start so we don't have to stop when you whack your fingers.

one saying that picked up and have never stopped using it x years later, any time do anything with a hammer

'when I nod my head you hit it'

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Pga1 said:

Len, check your spelling again. Bottom line, he he, cheers

Ha ha oh dear - I had to cut and paste the whole line in to a word document to check (Will now do the same for this paragraph just in case) 

'Sympathetic'

Thanks for the head's up :D

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Before that twice measured cut- Leave as long as you can for as long as you can. 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Top tip: bicarbonate of soda is one of the most amazing and versatile compounds to be found on this planet of ours. 

Got stinky shoes? Put bicarb in them.

Got a grimy comb? Soak it overnight in bicarb.

Athlete's foot? Use bicarb.

Whites not washing white enough? Add bicarb to your wash.

Pots and pans not as clean as they should be? Use bicarb.

The list of uses goes on and on...

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
21 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Top tip: bicarbonate of soda is one of the most amazing and versatile compounds to be found on this planet of ours. 

if you want to fill a gap, grab the baking soda and fill that gap, if you want you can build up layer by layer. Then apply the super glue on top of the baking soda, you will notice that the small grains of the baking soda will soak super fast the glue and also cure making a rock solid bond.

Like a mini version of Araldite® . Anyone got  a knackered, cracked record to try it on?

Edited by Simon T
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
12 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

My Dad used to drink Bicarb to ease his indigestion.

I like another old saying (To be honest, I wish I had taken heed of this looking back) 'Keep your own council'. Very wise to do so I recon.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 minutes ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Tip for anglers that use hemp.  Teaspoon of bicarb in when your boiling the hemp turns the shell  black and makes the white kernel stand out.  

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Now that the sun has been out, here's one for the car washers.....

All that dull grey exterior car trim that was once black - well forget the 'Back to Black' type products that require a bit of buffing up and elbow grease to achieve a half decent result. I use a Meguiars (Maguires) product from Halfords. Not their vinyl blacking cream, but their Tyre Gel. It works brilliantly and is effortless. Use it very sparingly, just a few drops on a cloth or sponge, and just wipe it on. I do all my black plastic grille and trim, rubber edging to windows, metal windscreen wiper stalks etc, etc. Any excess smears on the bodywork can be wiped off with a dry cloth.

All of my neighbours and family now use the same method. A friend who had a very tired looking Land Rover Discovery, with vast amounts of greying plastic to the wheel arches and huge front and rear bumpers, transformed it to forecourt condition in 30 minutes. Although it doesn't last forever, the effect seems to be far longer lasting than other products which are sold specifically for this purpose. I do my car probably at 2 or 3 monthly intervals. My bottle of Tyre Gel is still 2/3 full after 3 years, despite lending it out.

Due to the odours from this product I strongly recommend it for EXTERNAL use only.

- Kev

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Kevinkent said:

Now that the sun has been out, here's one for the car washers.....

All that dull grey exterior car trim that was once black - well forget the 'Back to Black' type products that require a bit of buffing up and elbow grease to achieve a half decent result. I use a Meguiars (Maguires) product from Halfords. Not their vinyl blacking cream, but their Tyre Gel. It works brilliantly and is effortless. Use it very sparingly, just a few drops on a cloth or sponge, and just wipe it on. I do all my black plastic grille and trim, rubber edging to windows, metal windscreen wiper stalks etc, etc. Any excess smears on the bodywork can be wiped off with a dry cloth.

All of my neighbours and family now use the same method. A friend who had a very tired looking Land Rover Discovery, with vast amounts of greying plastic to the wheel arches and huge front and rear bumpers, transformed it to forecourt condition in 30 minutes. Although it doesn't last forever, the effect seems to be far longer lasting than other products which are sold specifically for this purpose. I do my car probably at 2 or 3 monthly intervals. My bottle of Tyre Gel is still 2/3 full after 3 years, despite lending it out.

Due to the odours from this product I strongly recommend it for EXTERNAL use only.

- Kev

Kev. I use the Maguires alloy wheels cleaner that you spray on your alloys, it actually changes colour to purple when it's working.  Highly recommended.  Never tried the gel mate. 

Ste

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Kev. I use the Maguires alloy wheels cleaner that you spray on your alloys, it actually changes colour to purple when it's working.  Highly recommended.  Never tried the gel mate. 

Ste

Cheers Steve, will have to give that a go when I've used up the purple Demon Wheels spray that I'm not very impressed with at the moment.

- Kev

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 24/02/2021 at 15:07, Mike said:

one from my mum, that worked well

teaching someone to ride a bike

if you are teaching ya kids to ride a bike then do it on a long gentle slope

that way as they are going downhill, they only have to master the balance skill at first - once they have that cracked the pedalling bit is easy

wooosh.........

Lend a child a bike and they can cycle for a day - give a child a pair of bolt cutters and they'll never be short of a ride home. Dx

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

if your dog, cat etc damages a claw, particularly if the nail come off or broken, put some FLUORIDE toothpaste on keep it clean and infection free. A lot cheaper than the vet!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

if it's sore, try some of that aesthetics gel you put on babies gums - owt with something in the ingredients that ends in 'caine' usually benzocaine.  Never put anything that's not water based like Vasalene

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

a getting old one that's helped me

put your coffee/tea supply on the top shelf

the regularly stretching may help avoid/treat shoulder type problems 💪

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!