Jump to content

JMAuction - 24/02/2021 - Results!


Recommended Posts

Posted

fyi

*1st Click On The Attached .png To Enlarge!

*Click Once More

*It Will Start In A New Tab

*Click Again To Enlarge

--- --- --- --- ---

*To Download - Right Click On The .png - Save Image As

 

screencapture-raresoulman-co-uk-auction-soul-auction-soul-auction-ending-this-wednesday-html-2021-02-24-19_00_11.png

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 33
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Thank you for sharing as always 😊 Silhouettes.  Investment time. That statement really takes the piss.  Wtf. You buy a  record because you like it or love it.  Esther Phillips.  £650. OMG. A

I agree with Frankie C Johns is the only transparent auction and i proved that to myself as when he was selling the rare 1002 Joe Hicks i couldn't bid on line so put a telephone bid in of £1100 saying

Glenn Miller, £1600 plus, Esther £650, Silhouettes over 2k, lunatics have certainly been let out of the asylum tonight.

Posted Images

Posted

and this weeks numb nuts  auction result goes to..........

1 minute ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Isonics - finished at £543

Esther Phillips -WOW

Silhouettes - the 45 might have fetched this price on its own perhaps?

no i dont think silhouettes has ever gone over 2k on its own

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
6 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

and this weeks numb nuts  auction result goes to..........

no i dont think silhouettes has ever gone over 2k on its own

But given recent price surges on massive tunes, I wonder if it could have? To what extent was the buyer smitten by the LP - were they just after the single? I also wonder if the records might have made more money had they had been auctioned separately QED.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I like Esther Phillips Just Say Goodbye, but £650 is really an amazing high price for it!  

Edited by Halogen
  • Listening 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thank you for sharing as always 😊

Silhouettes.  Investment time. That statement really takes the piss.  Wtf. You buy a  record because you like it or love it. 

Esther Phillips.  £650. OMG. Are people stupid.  I've just answered my own question.  YES. 

Ste

  • Up vote 6
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Glenn Miller, £1600 plus, Esther £650, Silhouettes over 2k, lunatics have certainly been let out of the asylum tonight.

  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

But given recent price surges on massive tunes, I wonder if it could have? To what extent was the buyer smitten by the LP - were they just after the single? I also wonder if the records might have made more money had they had been auctioned separately QED.

my numbnuts comment was aimed at only esther phillips.. i think the silhouettes as a set and glen miller are a little heavy but ok.. when i posted my second comment the automated moderator merged my comments into the same post

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
12 minutes ago, Dave Pinch said:

my numbnuts comment was aimed at only esther phillips.. i think the silhouettes as a set and glen miller are a little heavy but ok.. when i posted my second comment the automated moderator merged my comments into the same post

The last two copies of the silhouettes have sold for just short of 2k,Pat Brady sold one for £1995 and another one sold a few weeks ago for about the same. If whoever paid what they did for Esther Philips had looked on Johns site,they could have bought a uk black stock copy for £200. 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Halogen said:

I like Esther Phillips Just Say Goodbye, but £650 is really an amazing high price for it!  

Especially when the issue goes for £100-125...

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Chalky said:

Glenn Miller, £1600 plus, Esther £650, Silhouettes over 2k, lunatics have certainly been let out of the asylum tonight.

The buyer must’ve been ‘In The Mood’...😂😂😂

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 hours ago, Winsford Soul said:

Thank you for sharing as always 😊

Silhouettes.  Investment time. That statement really takes the piss.  Wtf. You buy a  record because you like it or love it. 

Esther Phillips.  £650. OMG. Are people stupid.  I've just answered my own question.  YES. 

Ste

pick up E/PHILLIPS  few weeks ago  vg  30 pounds 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It is Amazing how some prices are  now. When I sold my UK copy of Glen Miller for £400  about 5 years ago I thought I'd got a good price. 

What we must remember is "our little soul world" has expanded so much in the last 10 years or so. Far quicker than when we were young, in terms of number of collectors, record buyers, events etc and the need for old original records has increased beyond anybodies projections. 

One over riding factor is the number of old Soul records, whether a 100 run or a 10,000 run cannot be increased (unless reissued or booted), and by that fact alone the desirability of a particular 45/LP wanted by more people increases in price by whatever. 

Desire is one thing, willing to pay more than the next person is another. Put 2 people together with both those factors and a desirable 45 then hey presto. 

The prices they are fetching does my collection no harm at all and even if I sell at below todays prices I will be well in profit, if that was my motivation.

It is only a downer if you want something and you are watching it soar. 

If everybody collected records under £20, it wouldn't be long before most records would be £21 and above and your in the same boat again. 

Rejoice in the fact that there's avid collectors or investors willing to buy that "old ship ballast"  stuff off you. 

Dave H. 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 hours ago, Chalky said:

Glenn Miller, £1600 plus, Esther £650, Silhouettes over 2k, lunatics have certainly been let out of the asylum tonight.

I think the lunatics are running the asylum mate😂

11 hours ago, Davey S said:

Talking of madness Larry Clinton on Pat Bradys site £7555 6 days to go .

Id want the red one for that!

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Its the old adage "rarity is not always linked to price:.

All you need is demand and someone with deep pockets willing to pay an inflated price , but if you want it bad enough and you have the cash good luck to you.

Trouble is none of that does the "poor" any good as I am unwilling or unable to pay the high prices that anything desirable seems to be going for nowadays. 

😪😪😪😪😪

Dave.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
11 hours ago, Dobber said:

I think the lunatics are running the asylum mate😂

Id want the red one for that!

There are 2 red ones residing a few hundred yards from here!

Trouble is, they don't appear to be leaving their current home.

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
22 hours ago, Davey S said:

Talking of madness Larry Clinton on Pat Bradys site £7555 6 days to go .

 But the record’s wanted in more than three States...

This is what happens in a sealed bid auction. Prices do not rise incrementally so the winner is the person with most money in the bank.

John Manship’s auction method is by far and away the best.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
13 minutes ago, Julianb said:

There are 2 red ones residing a few hundred yards from here!

Trouble is, they don't appear to be leaving their current home.

Yeah i know mate😉

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

 But the record’s wanted in more than three States...

This is what happens in a sealed bid auction. Prices do not rise incrementally so the winner is the person with most money in the bank.

John Manship’s auction method is by far and away the best.

The end result of John’s is the same as any other auction, the one with the most money wins. 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

The end result of John’s is the same as any other auction, the one with the most money wins. 

Ah but, the winner of John’s auction pays a small increment more than the second bidder. The winner of Pat’s auction may pay £2,500 more than the underbidder - now that’s great for the seller but unfortunate for the buyer.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
6 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Ah but, the winner of John’s auction pays a small increment more than the second bidder. The winner of Pat’s auction may pay £2,500 more than the underbidder - now that’s great for the seller but unfortunate for the buyer.

That may be the case but the one with the most money will keep paying the incremental bid.  The method matters little,  the outcome is the same, the one with more money wins.

These days the winner should only pay a quid more than the next best bid no matter who is auctioning the record. 

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 minutes ago, Chalky said:

That may be the case but the one with the most money will keep paying the incremental bid.  The method matters little,  the outcome is the same, the one with more money wins.

These days the winner should only pay a quid more than the next best bid no matter who is auctioning the record. 

But with sealed bid auctions, price inflation is rampant. It endorses the one big bid only approach, but pay a stupidly high amount.

Incremental bidding encourages more measured bids and potentially less expensive records.

Sealed bid auctions are for very rich bidders. Incremental bid auctions are for the masses who can not afford to pay through the nose.

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
9 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

But with sealed bid auctions, price inflation is rampant. It endorses the one big bid only approach, but pay a stupidly high amount.

Incremental bidding encourages more measured bids and potentially less expensive records.

Sealed bid auctions are for very rich bidders. Incremental bid auctions are for the masses who can not afford to pay through the nose.

What, and price inflation isn’t rampant on John’s? 😂🤣 Take another look at this weeks winning bids 😂 his sales by auction seem to be fetching more money than the others so that argument falls a little flat, thats not John’s fault nor a dig at anyone auctioning records, totally down to the buyer. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Chalky said:

What, and price inflation isn’t rampant on John’s? 😂🤣 Take another look at this weeks winning bids 😂 his sales by auction seem to be fetching more money than the others so that argument falls a little flat, thats not John’s fault nor a dig at anyone auctioning records, totally down to the buyer. 

Ah, but some of John’s records are flops, others go for the book price or market rate, whilst a few, the ones we are speculating on, go for stupidly high prices. Yes, these do contribute to rampant price inflation but remember, John's auctions have more of a global reach and way more bidders.

Tim Brown’s auctions have high minimum bids so they can fetch high prices if anyone starts bidding in the first place. His copy of Sherri Taylor is at a higher price than John’s went for this week.

John’s auctions are the fairest and best around despite the emergence if rogue values that we like to pontificate on. As you say, the person with the most money trumps all comers... 

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I agree with Frankie C Johns is the only transparent auction and i proved that to myself as when he was selling the rare 1002 Joe Hicks i couldn't bid on line so put a telephone bid in of £1100 saying if it goes higher im out, i got it for for around £875. At least with Johns auction you can see what the bids are  

  • Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
4 hours ago, Ted Massey said:

I agree with Frankie C Johns is the only transparent auction and i proved that to myself as when he was selling the rare 1002 Joe Hicks i couldn't bid on line so put a telephone bid in of £1100 saying if it goes higher im out, i got it for for around £875. At least with Johns auction you can see what the bids are  

I'm not saying for one minute John isn't transparent, I know he is, neither am I saying his auction isn't the fairest or the best. But you both seem to be missing the point, when in demand records are auctioned the one with the most money will win on any platform, John, Tim'se bay, sotherby's. 

Edited by Chalky
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
36 minutes ago, Chalky said:

I'm not saying for pone minute John isn't transparent, I know he is, neither am I saying his auction isn't the fairest or the best. But you both seem to be missing the point, when in demand records are auctioned the one with the most money will win on any platform, John, Tim'se bay, sotherby's. 

thats right chalky! And the knock on affect is down the pecking order when us poor saps end up paying 3 times what it was going for the week before! Cos a lot of the time the auction price dictates the set sale too! I dont blame any seller for this,but we see it all the time “sold on jms auction £1000” “i will take £800” whereas the week before you may have been happy with £400! 

  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There are two records i would probably raid the pension for Jock Mitchell Chance in a Million and Karmello Brooks. 

All the rest the millionaire's can have .

Dave.

  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Don’t have the Silhouettes 45 sadly (do have Jock Mitchell though 😉), but here is a copy of their agency promotional pic I found in NY. 

E88F9A79-346E-4348-9ADC-3E99270A4354.jpeg

Edited by Rictic66
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Have the Silhouettes LP paid not very much for it its a prize possession. 

Think Jock Mitchell is just a perfect Northern Soul record .

  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Log in to Soul Source

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Jmauction - 18/11/2020 - Results
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 18 Nov 2020
    • 11 / 851
    • Winsford Soul on 19 Nov 2020
  2. Jmauction - 04/12/2019 - Results
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 04 Dec 2019
    • 1 / 478
    • Zanetti on 04 Dec 2019
  3. Jmauction - 27/01/2021 - Results!
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 27 Jan 2021
    • 14 / 962
    • Martyn Pitt on 28 Jan 2021
  4. Jmauction - 28/10/2020 - Results
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 28 Oct 2020
    • 4 / 421
    • Winsford Soul on 28 Oct 2020
  5. Jmauction - 13/11/2019 - Results
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 13 Nov 2019
    • 8 / 1214
    • Modernsoulsucks on 09 Dec 2019
  6. Jmauction - 06/01/2021 - Results
    All About The Soul by Zanetti on Wed 06 Jan 2021
    • 27 / 1330
    • Frankie Crocker on 07 Jan 2021
  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.




×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.