SOS please help !!!

Blackpoolsoul

I am sorry if this has been covered before, please direct me if I missed it

I always wondered about the artists featured here and the label (there is another release but I won't list it) was it connected to Mr Wiggles (Alexander Randolph) as he had a label in NY called Sound Of Soul (Sebastian Williams, Little Tommy, Larry Saunders, Dickie Wonder etc.)

Was E.M. Gray the same Eddie Gray (Edward James Zgoreck) from Tommy And The Shondells ? How did Sandy get to Wand (or the other way round)

Love them or hate them they were played on the Scene, Kev Roberts used Destiny for The EJ Chandler

They turned up at Nottingham shops a lot.

EJ .jpg

EJ.jpg

Sandy.jpg

Sandy yellow 11.22.33 am.jpg

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Sorry I can't answer the original post question, but does anybody know the story on the E.J. Chandler release on Sound Of Soul.

I remember it first being played in Wigan about the time Pat Brady was djing there 78/79?

The record was very expensive in the first few weeks then it dropped down to about £3 and there was lots of copies for sale.

Was this record released about that time 1978/79 on  the yellow Sound Of Soul, from an old master tape? Or was it a current recording but sounded like a 60's record?

Because the EJ Chandler vinyl does is not look/feel 1960's!  The red S.o.S Sandy Waddy vinyl does look 60's!

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

29 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Thanks I remember the red one as well, may I ask how you know it is an original for sure ?

I bought from the Soul Bowl as an original.    It feels and looks like 1960's vinyl plastic.  Heavy vinyl, but a slightly brittle feel to it. A bit like a vinyl Gordy or Soul label record.

It wasn't much money because common oldies were right out of fashion in the early 1980s' when I bought it. Mostly everyone wanted 60's newies or newly discovered semi-knows at that time. (A lot of which later became the classics of today!)

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

Ah..yes i did have a copy on SOS in the late 70s when it was being played at Wigan as mentioned but it was on the red label, it was the yellow label that threw me, also on vinyl, pretty sure it was original, dont think it was ever booted or seen a styrene copy.

Social source share

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Eddie M. Gray is'nt Eddie Gray,guitarist of Tommy James and The Shondells.Possibly the 'M' in the 'Eddie M.Gray' writing credit on the Wand issue was used to distinguish the two,as Tommy James & the Shondells were  a top U.S. chart group at that time

Social source share

35 minutes ago, Michael V said:

Could be wrong but I'm pretty sure Eddie M. Gray is'nt Eddie Gray,guitarist of Tommy James and The Shondells.Possibly the 'M' in the 'Eddie M.Gray' writing credit on the Wand issue was used to distinguish the two,as Tommy James & the Shondells were  a top U.S. chart group at that time

I wondered too and thought perhaps it came from the Kama Sutra credit which came up a lot on Roulette label

Social source share

Thanks for that link-really interesting; 'Tom Swift's Electric Ping-Pong Balls'- even by US Garage Band standards that's an amazing name! One of the best group names ever!

So it seems our Eddie Gray was from Brooklyn (Eddie Gray of  Tommy James & the Shondells was from Greensburg,Pennsylvania)  and sounds very much like an older guy,as he was a manager

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!