Jessie Smith (Ikettes/Mirettes) RIP

Michael V

Have just learned of the sad passing of Jessie Smith of The Ikettes and The Mirettes at the age of 79. Jessie passed away on February 4th but her death has'nt t been widely reported. Lovely  and talented (as singer and dancer) Jessie,who went to school with Luther Ingram in Alton,Illinois, began her  recording career in 1961 as Little Miss Jessie  with a nice R&B 45' on Mel in Chicago and went on to join the  Ikettes  -sometimes overlooked as a recording act-with Robbie Montgomery and Vanetta Fields,singing on their classic 60's hits like 'Peaches & Cream' and the sublime 'I'm So Thankful' as well as all their non-hit gems  and ,with their metamorphosis into the The Mirettes ,sang on those great Mirwood  classics 'Now That I've Found You,Baby' and He' s Alright With Me' and their fine,also overlooked period on Revue/ Uni (MCA here in the UK) with two really nice LP's with tracks like the lovely 'First Love' to commend them.They also made a sterling contribution to the soundtrack LP of the Sidney Poitier/Joanna Shimkus film 'The Lost Man'(1969).Jessie  and the other Mirettes went on to utilise their  considerable vocal talents as session/back up singers through the 70's and beyond but Jessie's sides with the Ikettes and Mirettes have rightly been played and enjoyed on the  UK /Worldwide Soul Scene   for many years and will be for many more.

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• Replies 0
  • Views 462
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!