Mike Raven

Pete S

Someone mentioned him just now. This chap I met a few years ago gave me a reel to reel tape recorder plus a box of about 20 reel to reel tapes, all of which contain Mike Raven's soul show from radio circa 1969-70, plus a handwritten notebook where he's written down every track played. I've played three or four but only one had the dj intact, the rest had been paused and restarted just to get the music.

Is this sort of thing of interest to anyone? I could probably set it up to record off the tape onto cd. Honestly, I've only listened to the first few cos I moved at that time and never got them out again.

Social source share

Is the same Mike Raven who use to be resident at the Blue Room in Sale in the early seventies,approx 71/2.The one responsible for getting me into this music????

Social source share

I'd be interested Pete, used to listen to him on pirate radio (390?) which if I recall correctly was on an old fort in the mouth of the Thames, then he was on Radio 1 when it started. On pirate radio he did a show every evening, playing R&B/soul and on Saturday it was rock'n'roll.

He did a residency at Bluesville, Manor House, north London and it was always a great night. He often had American imports well before they were issued here, and usually ended the evening by playing rock'n'roll tracks and dancing with his blonde wife Mandy who always wore a rather short mini skirt.

Funny what you remember when your mind is jogged by something.

Social source share

Is the same Mike Raven who use to be resident at the Blue Room in Sale in the early seventies,approx 71/2.The one responsible for getting me into this music????

link

No.

This Mike Raven is the guy who also starred in a few low budget Briish Horror films

Blue Rooms early 70's

you must know Alan Kenyon and Hutchie an all that crowd eh?

Tony

Social source share

Mike Raven, the oldest teenager in captivity started at Radio Atlanta in 1964 with the R&B-programme All systems go!

How he landed at the camp Radio 390-station is anyone's guess. What he did on Radio 1 I do not know.

But I can hold him responsable for getting me interested to this music, thanks to those few months on 201m MW.

Is he still alive & the oldest living teenager in captivity or... ? I think he was 37 at the time (which looks awfully young to me now) :D

Social source share

Mike Raven, the oldest teenager in captivity started at Radio Atlanta in 1964 with the R&B-programme All systems go!

How he landed at the camp Radio 390-station is anyone's guess. What he did on Radio 1 I do not know.

But I can hold him responsable for getting me interested to this music, thanks to those few months on 201m MW.

Is he still alive & the oldest living teenager in captivity or... ? I think he was 37 at the time (which looks awfully young to me now)  :D

link

He died a few years ago. Had a farm in Devon or Cornwall.

Social source share

In the soul starved seventies wasteland of radio Mike Raven's show was an absolute must listen for devotees. His taste in soul was sometimes odd and it was obvious his deep love was reserved for the Blues, but the mearest chance of hearing the latest JayBoy or Mojo release was enough to keep us glued on those early Saturday evenings.

Rosko was the only other guy who came close to being a radio soul champ in those days.

Quick trivia question; anyone remember Mike Raven's theme tune? Title and artist....

Social source share

Well, it was"Soul Serenade", and he used to talk over bits of the intro, was it Mike Cotton Sounds version he used ?

Jerry.

link

Oddly enough, I was talking to mike cotton at the 100 club a few years back and he told me Mike Raven said if they did a version of SS he'd use it as his theme tune, I asked him if he still had it, he replied "Nah, not a patch on Willie Mitchell"

Social source share

In synch with the intro as well - sort of what us radio types call a "Doughnut" - don't ask! Well, Dayo might explain if you ask nicely :thumbsup:

Jerry

link

Nobody has asked and I'm sure no-one cares, but...

A doughnut has a hole in the middle. Mike Raven used the "holes" in the track to deliver his standard greeting...

Ding, da ding, ding, ding "Hi I'm Mike Raven" Ding, da ding, ding, ding This is my R and B show" Ding, da ding, ding, ding

Oh I give up!

Social source share

Mike Raven's theme tunes:

a) LIVERPOOL DRIVE - Chuck Berry  Pye Int'. 7N 25242. (1964). The flipside of "No particular place to go". Did Raven have a theme on Radio Atlanta?.

cool.gif SOUL SERENADE - Lucas (& Mike Cotton Sound) MGM 1398 (UK. 1968) An almost note for note re-working of the version by Lonnie Mack issued as Beau Dollar & the Coins Fraternity 960 (USA. 1966). Mike Raven, who was managing Mike Cotton at the time, used this track as the theme for his Radio 390 R & B show.

Source: https://www.offshoreechos.com/offshorethemes/index.htm

My answer to question a) is: yes he had, but I would not know what it was. Not a guitar-dominated number, with some subtle female vocals and probably the necessary doughnut - in my remembrance. (The "doughnut" in radio terms refers to the hole, oddly).

So he did not like the Mike Cotton Sound after all? But he did not mention King Curtis? ranting_1.gif

And talking about deejay heaven - which we were not: John Peel played Beau Dollar etc. some time ago, "album out", and I immediately tried to find it - but as usual the record trade let me down. This is off the thread - but if anyone knows about it...

Social source share

• 18 years later...
  • 3 weeks later...
On 16/12/2004 at 20:04, Pete S said:

He died a few years ago. Had a farm in Devon or Cornwall.

Churton Fairman aka Mike Raven passed on 4th April 1997 in Blissland, Cornwall aged 72. In later years he was a commercial artist, mainly sculptures - a committed Christian his art was primarily religious. He seems to have fitted a great deal into his life . His obituary is fascinating.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-churton-fairman-1270037.html

http://www.bodminmoor.co.uk/churtonfairman/obit.html

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...
13 minutes ago, Sceneman said:

he appeared in a horror film cant remember the name 

A quick check at IMDB shows he appeared in four horror movies during 71-72: Lust for a vampire; I, Monster; Crucible of Terror, and Disciple of Death.

According to the biog of him on that site:

The unique Disciple of Death is so incoherent that it comes across as a Dada nightmare and was produced and written by Raven under clipped versions of his real name. However it remains obscure and was murdered by the critics, after which Raven never made another film and retired from the spotlight.

Source: https://www.imdb.com/name/nm0265631/

Social source share

On 19/02/2023 at 21:40, Dukeofburgundy said:

Churton Fairman aka Mike Raven passed on 4th April 1997 in Blissland, Cornwall aged 72. In later years he was a commercial artist, mainly sculptures - a committed Christian his art was primarily religious. He seems to have fitted a great deal into his life . His obituary is fascinating.

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/people/obituary-churton-fairman-1270037.html

http://www.bodminmoor.co.uk/churtonfairman/obit.html

image.png.6fcb445fb2feb4c0d956e51f45f964f6.png

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!