Bernie Williams of Harold Melvin & The Bluenotes R.I.P.

https://www.inquirer.com/philly/obituaries/20101228_Bernie_Wilson__baritone_with_Blue_Notes__dies_at_64.html

Another sad passing from the golden era. I have a question about Bernard Williams. Was he part of the duo Blues Bros No.1 who recorded 'Letter of Regret' for the Eclipse / Quadrant labels in the mid 70s?  

I've only just realised that this is not current news. I was confused by the date in the left hand corner. 

Edited by DukeBurgundy
clarification.
Social source share

If you're talking about Bernie Wilson of HM & Blue Notes he died on Boxing Day in 2010 - the same day as Teena Marie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernard_Wilson_(singer)

Bernard (Bernie) Williams was also a member of the original Blue Notes but left before PIR era .. and I 'think' it's the same Bernie Williams who did the classic Ever Again and the double sider on Harthon.

Edited by Soulstrutter
Social source share

18 hours ago, DukeBurgundy said:

I am indeed confused between Wilson & Williams for which I apologise.

I recently came across a UK LP of the duo Blues Brothers no 1 ‘Live in London’ on Nereida.

I found one reference of a connexion to The Blue Notes. Anyone know if it’s true or speculation?

From what I can gather they released 2 45's: first in 1976 on Eclipse (New Jersey) and the other, if its the same group, on Quadrant (year unknown on Discogs) is a Peurto Rican label!

UPDATE YT clip has different label without address so could have been a US release as well/before ... and also gives date as 1976

The album was on Nereida and states 'a product of N.L.S. records England' again no date but from the tracklist must have been 1973 at the earliest going by Love Train, Best Thing, You Are Everything, I Can See Clearly etc.

There's one for sale on ebay for $1,800 if your feeling flush but no international postage!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Northern-Soul-Record-Blues-Brothers-No-1-Recorded-Live-In-London-VERY-RARE-/322433167229

The seller says:

"Blues Brothers No. 1" Recorded Live In London VERY RARE. According to my research, singles by this duo fetch around 120-190 USD, but I can't find any info on this album -- it's clearly extremely rare. I saw an old ad in my research which stated that the guys used to be in Harold Melvin And The Blue Notes, so that would explain their performing Gamble / Huff songs and the fact that I found this locally (Philly area)."

... which is a bit of a contradiction as it was an English pressing!! ... but perhaps they brought some home? 

There is a photo of Bernard Williams on Discogs and there is a similarity between that photo and the sleeve of the album (the guy on the right) .. so you could be right!

Bernard Williams.jpg

album.jpg

Edited by Soulstrutter
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!