Something Stinks

Guest Jamie

Right, something is definately afoot here......

Just logged into Ovenchips 'Live Auction' as being nosey, noticed that Walter Wilson on Wand had jumped up massively.

When I looked at the 2 'Big Hitters' lining up for a famous collector bidding war, I noticed that one of the guys had retaliated with a higher bid within 1 SECOND.

Now, I'm no expert. But that's some serious dealer if he can anticipate a bid, type, and respond with a counter-attack within that time period.

A flurry of further bids followed, and the record hiked from £1258 to £3072 in about 2 mins then stopped abruptly.

Surely this cannot be right? every counter bid was within seconds, and then it stops?

I'd be interested to see what anyone else thinks, although I probably already know.......

Jamie

Social source share

• Replies 16
  • Views 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Maybe the second guy had already bid 3000 but it only showed up whenever he was outbid, so say it was at 1200, then another guy bid 1250, it would keep increasing automatically every time until it got to guy number 2's 3000 bid.

Thing with those auctions though, instead of having a closing time, every time someone bids it stays open for a number of minutes.

Social source share

Maybe the second guy had already bid 3000 but it only showed up whenever he was outbid, so say it was at 1200, then another guy bid 1250, it would keep increasing automatically every time until it got to guy number 2's 3000 bid.

Thing with those auctions though, instead of having a closing time, every time someone bids it stays open for a number of minutes.

link

Thats exactly how it works

Social source share

link

You're right I think there Pete, but if it was automatically done by proxy, then why are there longer intervals between the counter bid and not immediate?.

Some are 15/20 secs. Surely the computer wasn't on a go-slow????

I'm sure some computer-type will explain it to me.

J

Social source share

Panic over, Silly sausage has sussed it.

The longer intervals is when the other guy is re-bidding.

Dang, can I delete this thread and go back to free-basing????

:thumbsup::D:):D

I'll save you the hassle Pete, I'm a complete wanker.gif

Social source share

You're right I think there Pete, but if it was automatically done by proxy, then why are there longer intervals between the counter bid and not immediate?.

Some are 15/20 secs. Surely the computer wasn't on a go-slow????

I'm sure some computer-type will explain it to me.

J

link

Jamie you enter your max bid, then it will automatically up date until you hit the max. As for the time differences Manship's site does have a tendency to slow down now and then

Social source share

Jamie you enter your max bid, then it will automatically up date until you hit the max. As for the time differences Manship's site does have a tendency to slow down now and then

link

Sussed it Andy, engage brain before sinister conspriracy theory fingers.

I did make it sound very exciting though didn't I??

For a few brief seconds....

Social source share

Sussed it Andy, engage brain before sinister conspriracy theory fingers.

I did make it sound very exciting though didn't I??

link

No :thumbsup:

Social source share

I did make it very exciting though didn't I??

That's what your lovely lady said after Northern Light the other week :D:)

link

Social source share

Right, something is definately afoot here......

Just logged into Ovenchips 'Live Auction' as being nosey, noticed that Walter Wilson on Wand had jumped up massively.

When I looked at the 2 'Big Hitters' lining up for a famous collector bidding war, I noticed that one of the guys had retaliated with a higher bid within 1 SECOND.

Now, I'm no expert. But that's some serious dealer if he can anticipate a bid, type, and respond with a counter-attack within that time period.

A flurry of further bids followed, and the record hiked from £1258 to £3072 in about 2 mins then stopped abruptly.

Surely this cannot be right? every counter bid was within seconds, and then it stops?

I'd be interested to see what anyone else thinks, although I probably already know.......

Jamie

link

I think if John put up the list of bidders like it is on ebay it might dispel the obvious worry of nepatistic bidding if you get what I mean :D

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!