Mary Wilson, the supreme Supreme

I was disappointed that no mention was made of the sad passing of the great Mary Wilson. Mary made such an important contribution to the success of the Supremes and Motown. She had a great smoky sexy voice that was criminally underused during the Diana Ross years. Her contribution to maintaining the Supremes legacy, fighting for the rights of original group members of classic Soul/R&B bands who were being ripped off by fake performers posing as the official version of the band. The Supremes were at the pop end of the spectrum but they certainly opened lots of doors for fellow performers who gained greater acceptance and success. It's easy to forget that in 1964 when Where Did Our Love Go was released in the UK the Supremes were "hip" and the record was regarded as being too raw and soulful to be a mainstream pop hit (see the reviews in Record Mirror, Melody Maker & NME)- a UK pop band covered the track and was expected to win the race to for a chart placing. The rest... is history! 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

On 01/03/2021 at 13:50, Drew3 said:

If you mean no mention on here (SS), there was a thread started in this section on February 9th!!

Don't know how to merge the threads so maybe Mods will.

Regards.

Drew.    

Thanks Drew, don't know how I missed it, did seem kinda strange!

On 01/03/2021 at 15:26, Soulstrutter said:

Here:

Thanks, don't know how I missed it!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!