Memphis Nomads

Blake H

post-2596-1170017041_thumb.jpg

I've just aquired a load of old soul fanzines and whilst looking at "Movin' Uptown" No2 (Oct 86) saw a review of this 45, Memphis Nomads...Dont Pass Your Judgment...Stax 243. The review sound great so has anyone got a sound clip of both sides??

"An organ intro pave's the way for this stormer, the backtrack is very fast using a rambling organ. The vocal's are a far cry from Stax legends like Otis, Eddie Floyd etc. Infact on hearing you would never believe it was on Stax as it sounds far too northern. The flip is a 60s version of "I Wanna Be" covered by The Pretenders on Carnival"

Books @ £75

Just curious :lol:

PS sorry about quality of scan orig' was not too good

BH

Social source share

• Replies 10
  • Views 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Posted Images

I've got this on the Stax boxed cd set and will put on a clip when I can find it. This was a charity single by a blue eyed band.

This, The Hawg by Eddie Kirk on Volt, Frog Stomp by Floyd Newman on Stax and I'm Going Home by Prince Conley on Satelite I think you'll find are the hardest Stax related singles. Memphis Nomands is the only one I've never owned. Have only seen it for sale a couple of times and when I did I was always skint :lol:

Edited by richard
Social source share

It's pretty good but it's not that rare, I had one for months and could never shift it, think it went for about £25 in the end

Sold mine on Ebay a couple of months ago at auction for £8.50.

A couple of weeks later the buyer put it up at buy it now at £35.00 which it sold for which pissed me off.

Social source share

post-2596-1170017041_thumb.jpg

I've just aquired a load of old soul fanzines and whilst looking at "Movin' Uptown" No2 (Oct 86) saw a review of this 45, Memphis Nomads...Dont Pass Your Judgment...Stax 243. The review sound great so has anyone got a sound clip of both sides??

"An organ intro pave's the way for this stormer, the backtrack is very fast using a rambling organ. The vocal's are a far cry from Stax legends like Otis, Eddie Floyd etc. Infact on hearing you would never believe it was on Stax as it sounds far too northern. The flip is a 60s version of "I Wanna Be" covered by The Pretenders on Carnival"

Books @ £75

Just curious :wicked:

PS sorry about quality of scan orig' was not too good

BH

Big money or not, it's one of the rarest blue Stax's behind the Astors surfing record (which I still don't have), Eddie Jefferson, David Porter, and Gorgeous George. I remember when I got it I was quite disappointed with it and filed it straight away in the gap between 242 and 244.....The other side is called something like "March of the dimes" or something to do with a charity walk. As others have said Memphis white group. How it got onto Stax heaven only knows...Steve

Social source share

Guest Johnny Mack

I'm pretty sure I've seen a copy of the Memphis Nomads in Johnny Beggs sales box in the not too distant past. One of those records which looks a lot better than it actually is ........more of an appeal to the completist Stax collector than lovers of Memphis soul !!!

Steve - I have a copy of the Astors "Just enough to hurt you" on Blue Stax which I may be prepared to sell - its a real toughie and rarely if ever turns up in any condition. pm me if that's the one you need.

John

Big money or not, it's one of the rarest blue Stax's behind the Astors surfing record (which I still don't have), Eddie Jefferson, David Porter, and Gorgeous George. I remember when I got it I was quite disappointed with it and filed it straight away in the gap between 242 and 244.....The other side is called something like "March of the dimes" or something to do with a charity walk. As others have said Memphis white group. How it got onto Stax heaven only knows...Steve
Social source share

Sold mine on Ebay a couple of months ago at auction for £8.50.

A couple of weeks later the buyer put it up at buy it now at £35.00 which it sold for which pissed me off.

If you're 'Beaconsoul' on Ebay, it was me who bought it and I still have it!!!

I wouldn't part with it, no way! Been after it for ages and couldn't believe my luck when I got it for £8.17

Edited by Soul-Slider
Social source share

If you're 'Beaconsoul' on Ebay, it was me who bought it and I still have it!!!

I wouldn't part with it, no way! Been after it for ages and couldn't believe my luck when I got it for £8.17

I sold one on eBay a couple of weeks ago for £35 on Buy It Now but I didn't buy it from eBay, came to me as part of a collection. Personally I thought its not up to much but is very hard to find. Given it's rarity imagine how much it would sell for if was a quality tune!

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!