Millie Jackson - My Man Is A Sweet Man

Pete S

• Replies 10
  • Views 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Saw her live, by accident just after this was released in '73. A few of us went to Wigan Rugby Club for the soul night(pre allnighter days) I think it was around May time. They Let us pay to get in, but as some of us were under 18(I was 15!) we very quickly got kicked out. Not being down hearted we remembered that Millie Jackson was on at Preston Top Rank, so it was off to the station, I think it was Andy Handley and Possibly Levine DJing as it was an International Soul Club Do, Millie was fantastic, and a good night was had by all, until we were threatened by the local Preston Lot, and chased out. Still a memorable night. And probably my first proper northern Soul Do.

Paul

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Paul

I have her on a tape from the top rank in Hanley 1973 with Oscar Toney jnr on the other side when he appeared there......On the tape you can hear 'COEY' and a few others talking on it....remember 'COEY' paul

mel

Social source share

Paul

I have her on a tape from the top rank in Hanley 1973 with Oscar Toney jnr on the other side when he appeared there......On the tape you can hear 'COEY' and a few others talking on it....remember 'COEY' paul

mel

Yeh, I remember . At the time I had just moved from Southport to Burscough, and the crowd that went on to that night out were not the usual suspects that I got involved with a bit later on, but Barry & Keith who lived in the Greyhound pub, & a couple of lads from Burscough. Not the future allnighter goers, although Keith & his girlfriend I think only went to Wigan once, to the first anniversay, and are the main people in one of the most used Wigan photos ever. I never got fame like that :angry: .

Have you seen the photos in My Gallery, a few Southport & Ormskirk crowd Including Tommy Allinson & Pete Simpson.

Paul

Social source share

Guest melandthensome

Paul

I know exactly where your coming from mate.......

take it easy

and keep the god damn faith bro'

yeah seen your pics

ol' simmo lurkin in the background........LOL

Mel

Edited by melandthensome
Social source share

• 11 months later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!