Bringin' Home The Soul - Travelling With Records

Hey all, looking to get people's thoughts, opinions and experiences of bringing home records from abroad, more specifically from the US to the UK. 

Everyone here is well aware of the Ian Levine haul stories but just wondering whether anything like this is even remotely achievable nowadays with all the airport checks, scans, baggage limits etc. 

I'm not sure on the legalities of bringing home suitcases full of records, whether there are additional taxes to pay or anything like that. Just wanted to see whether people here have tried it and whether a trip to the States would be worth it, purely to grab a bunch of records for much cheaper compared to UK sellers.

Any thoughts appreciated!

James 

Social source share

Got to agree with Frankie on this. Went to Chicago, Milwaukee & St Louis & all points in between in November 2019 & although picked up a nice lot of doubles cheap most of the stores looked like they'd been picked over.

Best part of trip was record shows on the last saturday & sunday in Chicago where I picked up some nice minty tunes. I always take a cabin size suitcase which will fit inside my big suitcase for outward flight & then take it onboard & put in overhead locker for inbound to UK.

Only been stopped once & that was flying back from Austin when they checked my small suitcase & the Homeland security guys were discussing where I'd bought my vinyl. Seems they were collectors but couldn't get to the Austin show.

Dave

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Leaving aside whether you'll find a lot or a few, my advice is either to send them to yourself before you come home if too many to carry. Some seller over there will give you an invoice. 100 45s at 10 cents say or whatever amount cutting down charges [if any] at this end. From experience charges can be random. I didn't pay anything on my last lot from USA.

Similarly if you bring some back get an invoice too to present to customs at the airport.

I'm not sure what value you can bring back without being liable for charges.

Social source share

1 hour ago, Halogen said:

Some of these USA record stores have been picked totally clean these days!

I have been through hundreds and hundreds of records and found nothing worth buying!

UK price guides don't help, as the USA sellers know what to pick out  to put on ebay!

When the early Price Guides appeared, some record dealers were motivated to dig deeper into their basements and attics unearthing nice stock - that was a short, but sweet period. Later Price Guides contributed to price inflation but some US dealers stuck with early editions so buyers had bargains. Nowadays, Popsike and Collectorsfrenzy mean there are no bargains, but savvy dealers stockpile the rarer stuff - these are the stores to visit and revisit, trip after trip. It’s always worth taking a Price Guide such as Manship #5 or 6, so if you find a record that’s not in the book, it could be worth keeping hold of.

Social source share

5 hours ago, Dave Pinch said:

i brought around 300 back from the usa last time i was there around 18 months ago.. bought a cheap holdall to put them in and took them on as hand luggage as we had only paid for one suitcase to go in the hold.. i did get stopped and taken to one side.. a young girl checked my bag for drugs and had a look at the contents.. she didnt even know what they were so called her superviser over who was a guy around my age to come take a look.. he just rolled his eyes at her told her just to swab doen the sides and if ok send me on my way.. didnt get charged anything but i did have a bit of a sweat on for a while

Haven't been over since 2009, but we used to go to New York to stay with my cousin who moved over there for 9 years. I always took my messenger stye over the shoulder bag, and would put all the records in that to carry on as I was always worried they'd get cracked chucked around in the hold. I don't think I ever brought more than around 100 back in one go.

The only time I got stopped for the records (got stopped on the way in nearly every trip!) was when a security dog took an interest. The guard checked my bag out and told me that 2nd hand records and sleeves do often seem to trigger the drugs dogs' interest....

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Thanks for everyone's thoughts on this, appreciate it! Seems like there aren't any charges for bringing them in which is good, been stung a few times with customs etc. With a bit of planning it may well work, not this year though... 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Seano said:

Haven't been over since 2009, but we used to go to New York to stay with my cousin who moved over there for 9 years. I always took my messenger stye over the shoulder bag, and would put all the records in that to carry on as I was always worried they'd get cracked chucked around in the hold. I don't think I ever brought more than around 100 back in one go.

The only time I got stopped for the records (got stopped on the way in nearly every trip!) was when a security dog took an interest. The guard checked my bag out and told me that 2nd hand records and sleeves do often seem to trigger the drugs dogs' interest....

i always wanted to go.. first time i went was 2002 and brought back around 100 that time..been 13 times all told now tho

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Dave Pinch said:

i always wanted to go.. first time i went was 2002 and brought back around 100 that time..been 13 times all told now tho

Where do you tend to fly in to? Assuming you hire a car to get around to all the shops? 

Social source share

Luckily I get to travel over for work a couple of times a year, but I must say I've been finding less and less each time I go...still it breaks up the time between meetings...I always take mine as carry on due to one year losing my luggage for nearly a week with 100 45s in it

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!