Posted

Any favourites? 

Fairly new to the pleasures of a good Scotch, though have given it my best attention - have recently enjoyed:-

Arran 10
Arran 14
Arran Sherry Cask
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Glasgow 1770 Peated Release No 1
Bunnahabhain 12
Scallywag Blended
Bladnoch 10
Johnnie Walker Green 
Glen Elgin 12
Glendronach 12
Oban 14
Royal Lochnagar 12

Have a bottle of Springbank 10 on order, and eyeing up a Clynelish 14, among others

All good but particularly like all the Arrans, Ardbegs, Glasgow 1770, Bladnoch and Bunnah

Some have taken a bit of tracking down - getting slightly obsessive, a bit like with the records 😄 Arran 14 I could only find two bottles left anywhere and they were in Italy, well worth it though. Similarly Bladnoch 10, not many around

All around the £40 - £50 mark though so not silly money

Any recommendations appreciated 

Cheers, Chris

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 19
  • Views 656
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

You could give me a glass of the most expensive single malt in the world and it would have to be in a tumbler full of lemonade to even think about it.  Sorry guys not for me. But enjoy the moment is w

Thanks Russ, like the sound of that - been gravitating towards the more peaty end recently, Ardbeg etc and will give that a try  Lol Steve, would have said the same six months ago but love it now

Any favourites?  Fairly new to the pleasures of a good Scotch, though have given it my best attention - have recently enjoyed:- Arran 10 Arran 14 Arran Sherry Cask Ardbeg 10 Ardbeg U

Posted Images

Posted

Lagavulin 16-yr-old from Islay gets my vote. Less peaty than its island counterpart Laphroaig, which is a good thing, but still with that salty, smokey intensity.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

You could give me a glass of the most expensive single malt in the world and it would have to be in a tumbler full of lemonade to even think about it.  Sorry guys not for me. But enjoy the moment is what I say. 

Ste

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
2 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Lagavulin 16-yr-old from Islay gets my vote. Less peaty than its island counterpart Laphroaig, which is a good thing, but still with that salty, smokey intensity.

Thanks Russ, like the sound of that - been gravitating towards the more peaty end recently, Ardbeg etc and will give that a try 

35 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

You could give me a glass of the most expensive single malt in the world and it would have to be in a tumbler full of lemonade to even think about it.  Sorry guys not for me. But enjoy the moment is what I say. 

Ste

Lol Steve, would have said the same six months ago but love it now - just need a few good ones to kick off with and you might be surprised 

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 minutes ago, Chris Turnbull said:

Thanks Russ, like the sound of that - been gravitating towards the more peaty end recently, Ardbeg etc and will give that a try 

Lol Steve, would have said the same six months ago but love it now - just need a few good ones to kick off with and you might be surprised 

Chris.  I really enjoy Southern Comfort yet can't stand Jack Daniels or anything like it. Strange man I am. 🤣. Never really been a shorts drinker of any sorts apart from Vodka which I have now gone off,  can't remember the last time I even had a drink.

I had a bottle of nordic berries cider at Christmas I've just remembered mate 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Got paralytic once on chivas.

Never again. Spewed for England.

Good luck to those that can stand the smell or stomach the taste.

Ed

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
20 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Got paralytic once on chivas.

Never again. Spewed for England.

Good luck to those that can stand the smell or stomach the taste.

Ed

I’ll avoid that one then 😂

One hit, two misses so far - I am surprised 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Jura

Take one glass

add two ice cubes 

Cover with Jura of choice

Leave for 2 mins - then sip 

Goes well with a Fosters / Bud Light as a chaser 👍🏻👍🏻👍🏻

1C821F27-112C-4F81-9D67-959714341FB6.jpeg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 05/03/2021 at 15:21, Chris Turnbull said:

Any favourites? 

Fairly new to the pleasures of a good Scotch, though have given it my best attention - have recently enjoyed:-

Arran 10
Arran 14
Arran Sherry Cask
Ardbeg 10
Ardbeg Uigeadail
Glasgow 1770 Peated Release No 1
Bunnahabhain 12
Scallywag Blended
Bladnoch 10
Johnnie Walker Green 
Glen Elgin 12
Glendronach 12
Oban 14
Royal Lochnagar 12

Have a bottle of Springbank 10 on order, and eyeing up a Clynelish 14, among others

All good but particularly like all the Arrans, Ardbegs, Glasgow 1770, Bladnoch and Bunnah

Some have taken a bit of tracking down - getting slightly obsessive, a bit like with the records 😄 Arran 14 I could only find two bottles left anywhere and they were in Italy, well worth it though. Similarly Bladnoch 10, not many around

All around the £40 - £50 mark though so not silly money

Any recommendations appreciated 

Cheers, Chris

Some nice drams in that list.

Worth trying private bottlings too.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
On 06/03/2021 at 22:49, Johnny Heist said:

Some nice drams in that list.

Worth trying private bottlings too.

Thanks - any recommendations?

Edited by Chris Turnbull
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

There are a number of independent bottlings covering the full spectrum of whisky.

Independent bottlers can provide good quality whiskies at good value.

It can be hit and miss but its also a unique way of experiencing whisky, many are single casks so cant be replicated.

Some well kent and lesser known, from traditional to newer boutique indy bottlers include:

Cadenheads

Signatory

Berry Bros & Rudd

Scotch Malt Whisky Society (Membership only)

North Star

Compass Box

The Bottlers

Gordon & McPhail

James Eadie

Weymss Malts

Hunter Laing

Adelphi

Recommend this site: https://www.malt-whisky-madness.com/maltmadness/

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I've been off the whisky this past year and back on the real ales. My weight seems to be edging up on the ales so i might get myself a bottle from my favourite distillery Glengoyne.

They don't use peat smoke in any of their whisky. Marks & Spencer had a unique 14 year old single malt by them that is really nice. I've tried quite a few Glengoynes, all recommended but they get pricey as you go up the years.

"NOTHING IS RUSHED AND EVERY STAGE OF OUR WHISKY MAKING PROCESS IS GIVEN AS LONG AS IT NEEDS. UNIQUELY-SHAPED STILLS NURSE THE SIMMERING WASH DURING THE LONGEST DISTILLATION OF ANY SCOTTISH WHISKY, PROLONGED CONTACT WITH THE COPPER COAXING SWEET AND FRUITY NOTES FROM THE GENTLY ROLLING VAPOURS. THAT'S WHY OUR BARLEY IS ONLY EVER DRIED BY AIR, ALLOWING THE TRUE GLENGOYNE SPIRIT TO SHINE THROUGH"

1110637147_GW.jpg.f5ef11f9f91a9fcdc83c54ec06ddd111.jpg

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I like my soul rare but when it comes to scotch / whiskey I’m easily pleased. As long as it’s got ice and coke then it will do for me. I’ve been told that adding coke is a sin, not to me. Started drinking it about eight years ago and quickly realised that my preferred drinks were all Irish (Thanks Dad) then I had Haig scotch and loved it - turns out that the Haig’s daughter was married to Mr Jameson and that is my favourite. 
Had many brands including Japanese and enjoyed them all. 

Enjoy your tipple - Mick 

Edited by Mick Boyle
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I used to drink Famous Grouse, but it seemed to be a bit 'sickly'. I've tried all sorts including the cheap supermarket own brand Whiskey's when I needed more for my buck.

I've actually settled on Bells Whiskey as my regular drink (A bit too regular at times) But when I can afford to treat myself, I buy Chivas Regal.

I visited Oban Distillery a few years ago which was great - On the tasting, they showed that adding a little bit of water actually makes the taste stronger.

Len :thumbsup:

P.s - With Diet Coke :facepalm: :D

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 05/03/2021 at 18:23, Winsford Soul said:

Chris.  I really enjoy Southern Comfort yet can't stand Jack Daniels or anything like it. Strange man I am. 🤣. Never really been a shorts drinker of any sorts apart from Vodka which I have now gone off,  can't remember the last time I even had a drink.

I had a bottle of nordic berries cider at Christmas I've just remembered mate 

Agree - Jack Daniels is awful (And the 'Strange Man' bit) :D

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Len said:

Agree - Jack Daniels is awful (And the 'Strange Man' bit) :D

Gentleman jack is worth a try len. Couple of ice cubes and no mixer.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Dandy - One Scotch One Bourbon One Beer
    Record Wants by on Sun 09 Jan 2011