Trying to dance

Shirebrook School disco in 1978. I’d never seen anything like it. A young, small kid called John Sankey was brilliant. Don’t know if he stayed on the scene.

Me and my mates decided in a split second that were were officially into Northern Soul.

We all met up the next day at my mate Dale Wilkinson’s house and practiced the moves as best we could.

What times!

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

My first all-niter at The Twisted Wheel in 1966 - didn't call it Northern Soul - it was just "soul music" to us back then. I was sold on it all as soon as I walked in the door.........the music.......the crowd........the atmosphere.......the chemical assistance......the whole shebang! We used to joke  "......can you just see us all still doing all this when we're in our 60s...........?" We used to joke about being on the dance floor with a zimmer frame each lol 🤣

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Kathryn Magson said:

My first all-niter at The Twisted Wheel in 1966 - didn't call it Northern Soul - it was just "soul music" to us back then. I was sold on it all as soon as I walked in the door.........the music.......the crowd........the atmosphere.......the chemical assistance......the whole shebang! We used to joke  "......can you just see us all still doing all this when we're in our 60s...........?" We used to joke about being on the dance floor with a zimmer frame each lol 🤣

We said exactly the same in 75 as 16 year olds at Wigan. Imagine still doing this in our 40,s never mind now we,re in our 60,s 🤣

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 07/03/2021 at 11:36, Len said:

I sat there (in my parka) gazing out at the lovely dance floor and this guy who looked like Mick Hucknal from Simply Red was dancing on his own early on.  I was absolutely memorised by it I really was - He was twisting his arms, sometimes he was not just bent double as he was dancing away, but his hands nearly touched the floor.  His facial expressions were also showing that he was really ‘feeling it’

Len :thumbsup:

Sounds like Crip from Rushden/Wellingborough way - He looked a bit like Mick Hucknal & was very expressive. Perhaps him. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Local youth club "Pendragon" Alsager 1971 a couple of guys from the Torch ( one was the Dj for the night). Me and my mate just stood there amazed. Went out next day and bought a couple of records we had heard played  from blood LLoyd records Hanley, one of which was The Shakers " one wonderful moment".....It still has pride of place in me record case and the rest as they say..... is history.

Roll on July, fingers crossed , Kings H around 3am, Andy Dyson on the decks ..... and the magic continues.

Social source share

Summer 1973 Conanby Disc youthy.

As a 12 year old wannabe 15 year old, we used to hang around with the bigger boys and look through the windows at these weird folks dancing.

Jimmy Radcliffe and Jerry Williams would belt out every week.

Not until 1975 did I get to give it a go at Donny Baileys nappy night. Big sound was reaching for the best. Thanks IL for introducing me to man made norvun!

Happy days.

Ed

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!