The Norfolk Village, London - Terry Jones

Guest marion

Yet another blast from the past - The Norfolk Village, London. Hosted by Terry Jones with numerous support acts and not forgetting the 'Norfolk Village Chior'. Say so much to say about this night out - so many, many toons, so many friendly faces, and always well worth the travelling to get to. Loved every minute of it!

Social source share

• Replies 13
  • Views 5.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Yet another blast from the past - The Norfolk Village, London. Hosted by Terry Jones with numerous support acts and not forgetting the 'Norfolk Village Chior'. Say so much to say about this night out - so many, many toons, so many friendly faces, and always well worth the travelling to get to. Loved every minute of it!

Terry dj'ed at the Norfolk then took over as manager of The Spread Eagle in Shorditch, when he gave up the managership of the Spread he went back to dj at the Norfolk. I had my 21st party in the Spread which was August 1986, he'd had the Spread at least two years before then and at least two years after. The Norfolk I believe has now been demolished and the guy who used to own it (can't remember his name for the life of me) was running the Old Blue Last, where Soul In The City ran for quite some time.

Social source share

Terry dj'ed at the Norfolk then took over as manager of The Spread Eagle in Shorditch, when he gave up the managership of the Spread he went back to dj at the Norfolk. I had my 21st party in the Spread which was August 1986, he'd had the Spread at least two years before then and at least two years after. The Norfolk I believe has now been demolished and the guy who used to own it (can't remember his name for the life of me) was running the Old Blue Last, where Soul In The City ran for quite some time.

Spread eagle;Them were the days,i think we used to go on a wednsday or thirsday i still could shuffle then,there would Pete Lawson,Brian Rae,Val Palmer everybody really,it still looks the same now.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hi Richard,

It was Tommy who ran it and had the Old Blue Last (he now runs a pub a couple of minutes from mine called The Plaza).

Had so many great times at the "Village" .It`s sorely missed.

Mark Houghton

Social source share

Spread eagle;Them were the days,i think we used to go on a wednsday or thirsday i still could shuffle then,there would Pete Lawson,Brian Rae,Val Palmer everybody really,it still looks the same now.

Yes Ken, the Spread is still there. There was talk that they were going to convert it to a house/flats at one point.

I must have known you back then I was always in there, it was on Thursday he used to play Northern :thumbsup: I only used to live about 1/2 mile away in Old Bethnal Green Road

That's right Mark, Tommy. Ever such a nice fella :wicked:

Edited by richard
Social source share

Hi Rich,

I went to the Norfolk Village a few times in my early 20's as well - lived in Chambord Street in Bethnal Green (just off the flower market). I remember getting a copy of the Terry Callier 12 'dont wanna see myself', took it along and Terry playing it in one of his spots. He also remember his JFM radio show in the early 80's, think it was on a Monday night and used to play an hour of Northern soul alongside lots of 70's and classic soul. Probably still got some TDK's of these shows somewhere!!!! Great days

Jon

Social source share

Guest sharona

OOh yes!! Lots of happy memories. Including cars broken in to and being towed and away! Good times singing with the 'choir'.

Also belated Happy Bithday - will email you properly.

Shaz xxx

Social source share

Hi Rich,

I went to the Norfolk Village a few times in my early 20's as well - lived in Chambord Street in Bethnal Green (just off the flower market). I remember getting a copy of the Terry Callier 12 'dont wanna see myself', took it along and Terry playing it in one of his spots. He also remember his JFM radio show in the early 80's, think it was on a Monday night and used to play an hour of Northern soul alongside lots of 70's and classic soul. Probably still got some TDK's of these shows somewhere!!!! Great days

Jon

Jon

Didn't know you were from Bethnal Green originally :wicked:

amazing how paths cross and you didn't know it at the time

Social source share

I had forgotten about the cars Sharon, never had it happen to me though. I got photos at home somewhere of the masses singing with the Village Chior, one day i'll post them up. In the words of Mark Houghton 'it's definately sorely missed!'

Social source share

Thursdays it was, I used to DJ with Terry alternating with Danny Everard, great way to kick off the weekend!!

Social source share

Guest Gavin Page

I had forgotten about the cars Sharon, never had it happen to me though. I got photos at home somewhere of the masses singing with the Village Chior, one day i'll post them up. In the words of Mark Houghton 'it's definately sorely missed!'

Still have my Chior Badge - Tee Hee, good times thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!