Event Promotion - Points

Just a thought as things start to unlock regarding the promotion of events, can all promoters advertise what they intend playing on the night, Northern, crossover, disco or modern this way people will not be disappointed if they go to what is advertised as Northern  and an hour of crossover, or modern is played out as this seems to be happening a lot. At least people will know what to expect when planning to go to a gig, as you can probably gather Im a pure norther soul addict and hate all disco crossover and modern thats being played out at gigs advertised as Northern soul, maybe I should try and move on but unfortunately I can't, I'm beginning to hate  listening to all the other stuff thats being played out as northern soul which is nothing like.

Thanks,

Keith

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Hi Keith,

I think promoters mainly rely on people generally getting to know what events play, and you return to those events that suit you, building a kinda 'personal circuit'.  

Before there were so many events, there was just one 'circuit' where you would see many of the same faces at every event, but it's different now of course.

You also get to recognise what each DJ plays, and that influences your decision making - Failing that, contact the promoter before trying somewhere that you haven't been before, and ask them what their music policy is.

I get your point though.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 07/03/2021 at 19:35, Len said:

Hi Keith,

I think promoters mainly rely on people generally getting to know what events play, and you return to those events that suit you, building a kinda 'personal circuit'.  

Before there were so many events, there was just one 'circuit' where you would see many of the same faces at every event, but it's different now of course.

You also get to recognise what each DJ plays, and that influences your decision making - Failing that, contact the promoter before trying somewhere that you haven't been before, and ask them what their music policy is.

I get your point though.

Len :thumbsup:

Hi Len, 

one event thats on every month I some times go to, I won't mention where, is advertised as Norther soul and Motown (2 rooms one for each,) I normally stay in the Northern room all night but on this occasion a guest DJ came and played modern and crossover for a full hour even though the dance floor started to empty, eventually the room also started to empty but the music stayed the same for the full hour, it was only when the next DJ came on that the room started to fill up again. thank god there was the Motown room to go into or we would of gone home, point being that if it had been put on the flyers that crossover and modern would be played in the northern room we would of had a choice whether to go or find somewhere else to go.

Keith KTF

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Think the use of the term, Northern soul, is ambiguous in this case, it should be straight forward but isn't. 😁. For me Northern soul has always included a healthy element of sounds from at least the 70's, if your talking rare soul or oldies. Are you asking people to state if it's an oldies night where only 60's are played? Honestly don't think you'd find many, unless it was a wheel revival. Because as stated initially, 70's, what I assume you're referring to, as modern, has been played since the torch. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

On 08/03/2021 at 21:01, soul nut said:

Hi Len, 

one event thats on every month I some times go to, I won't mention where, is advertised as Norther soul and Motown (2 rooms one for each,) I normally stay in the Northern room all night but on this occasion a guest DJ came and played modern and crossover for a full hour even though the dance floor started to empty, eventually the room also started to empty but the music stayed the same for the full hour, it was only when the next DJ came on that the room started to fill up again. thank god there was the Motown room to go into or we would of gone home, point being that if it had been put on the flyers that crossover and modern would be played in the northern room we would of had a choice whether to go or find somewhere else to go.

Keith KTF

I sympathise but the phrase Northern Soul does now cover quite a broad spectrum. Depending on the venue it's not unusual to get maybe one DJ who does an hour of modern and crossover. There's something to do with geography too - round Birmingham and the Black Country it's pretty standard, up Nottingham and the East Midlands it tends to be a bit more pure "Northern", further south there's a bit more early R&B. As Len says you have to do your own research and DJs like birds tend to flock together so once you know a few names you can sort of tell what is going to be the style.

Social source share

modern soul has been part of Northern Soul for decades.  FFS we haven't even got out yet and we have some dinosaurs moaning already.

Modern soul has been part of and played at Northern Soul events for decades, much of what is termed modern is Northern.

Have a word with the promoter if you are not happy.

Edited by Chalky
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

28 minutes ago, Chalky said:

modern soul has been part of Northern Soul for decades.  FFS we haven't even got out yet and we have some dinosaurs moaning already.

Modern soul has been part of and played at Northern Soul events for decades, much of what is termed modern is Northern.

I often wonder what Dave Godin (RIP) would think and say to all this nonsense 

How many souls are there ?

Northern Soul / Boogie Soul / Modern Soul / 70's Soul / 60's Soul / R&B Soul / Motown Soul  / Jazz Soul / Southern Soul / Funk Soul / Across The Board Soul.

Did I forget any to add to the flyer 😀

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I often wonder what Dave Godin (RIP) would think and say to all this nonsense 

How many souls are there ?

Northern Soul / Boogie Soul / Modern Soul / 70's Soul / 60's Soul / R&B Soul / Motown Soul  / Jazz Soul / Southern Soul / Funk Soul / Across The Board Soul.

Did I forget any to add to the flyer 😀

Nu Soul / Rare Soul / Latin Soul / Philly Soul. Maybe promoters should be rationed to just 3 or 4 types each? 😁

Social source share

2 hours ago, Chalky said:

Although a lover of oldies, i fully enjoy modern and have been to rare soul events and haven't heard a single record before and throughly enjoyed the experience, we are a broad church and room for all tastes. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!