Philly International - The Rare & The Good

Richard

• Replies 445
  • Views 30.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hello, "Philly Devotions"!!

I am a catalonian (from Tarragona, Spain) symphonic soul lover from my teens in the 70's. I allways loved the orchestrated soul of Chicago from Curtis to The Chi-lites and, of course, those lush and classical string arranged tracks by the green label PIR.

I'm not a DJ an not a musician. Simply a soul lover (despite the fact I do a Radio program of Soul Music betwen 1983-1985 in a local radio-station).

Here's a brief track list of my PIR-TSOP favourites (not necesarily "rare" items). I never stop to heard it from the firts time i got it:

-"Bitter Sweet" - MFSB (I likes the mellow trumpet notes!)

-"Don't Call Me Brother" - O'Jays (I think this is Eddie Levert at his best: bluesy, gospel, jazzy... and the nice vibes by Vincent Montana!)

-"The Big Hurt" - People's Choice (one of the tracks where Frank Brunson is richer)

-"Opus de Funk" - People's Choice (simply fantastic, mellow and a good sax by Sam Peak)

-"Soncere" - Michael Pedicin, Jr. (sax and wesmontgomerian guitar are simply delicious)

-"Bumpin' Boogie" - Talk Of The Town (the horn section at the intro is dynamite)

-"Virgin Girl" - Soul Survivors (my favorite by them, with the spanisg guitar and Neil Larsen at keyboards. Is a sweet but not corny or "bland" ballad)

-"I'm Searching For A Love" - Sharon Paige (and H. Melvin & The Blue Notes). I don't have words to describe this nice female voice and the pure poetry of this song.

-"Spring Again" - Lou Rawls (one of my Lou PIR favorites of all time from 77 on)

I'll post again for comment rarities and other Philly favorites (on PIR, Salsoul and other labels). I'm not a collector but, from the seventies there are some Philly rarities, specially the more jazzy - fusion catalogue I'm reaching for: "Half & Half" (Cleveland Eaton); "Poutpurri" (Thad Jones & Mel Lewis); "Bicentennial Poet" (Jean Claude T), Eloise Law's and Dee Dee Bridgewater Thom Bell produced stuff and Nancy Wilson's Gamble & Huff productions,...

A great and friendly salute from a phillyspaniard!!
Nice selection manny......................ole!!!
:D

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Many thanks for your comments, Paul.

I have read ALL the comments in those 9 pages and experimented a "revival" of these days in the 70's. Questions as the color of the first labels, the chronology of the differnet labels Thom Bell, Gamble & Huff, Norman Harris were involved... Buff! What interesting and -for me- emotive stuff!

The first vinyl I purchased was "Ship Ahoy" album by The O'Jays. Little before I got a Epic yellow color-label 45, "Brown Baby" w/b "It's Too Late" by Billy Paul. Also, a cassette, "Live In London" by The O'Jays, with the label green-yellow lemon and PIR logo black and the "Love Train" w/b "Who Am I" also on Epic yellow label... Curiously, here in spanish market some stuff originally on TSOP, got the "TSOP" heart "O" logo in the sleeve and the PIR logo on the label (as Soul Survivors and People's Choice stuff). There was only O'Jays and Stylistics 1980 albums ("The Year 2000" and "Hurry Up This Way Again" respectively) edited in Spain with the TSOP logo in both places, sleeve and label.

Also many spanish PIR-CBS compilations edited some Tommy and Golden Fleece tracks under the PIR logo (Trammps and Derek & Cyndi ). Until 1979, all the credits, song-titles, etc. where traduced to spanish in teh labels and sleeves. I got singles like "Paseo por el centro de la ciudad" (Soul City Walk) in great characters in the 45 sleeve art... Hope some day I can post some curious stuff previously scanned.

About the different labels question, i'm impressed by the quantity (and diversity) of the artists who recorded (or were distributed by) Gamble label in the 60's: from Bob Crewe (!!) to Jaggerz passing trough Intruders, Dee Dee Sharp, Bobby Marchan... Were interesting to do an exhaustive list of the artists who recording for those labels. Recently I discovered that Ronnie "The Hawk" Walker guitarist recorded one album for PIR. And Raquel Welch have a inussued album also on the green label...

A great salute & Soul Food

Social source share

Until 1979, all the credits, song-titles, etc. where traduced to spanish in teh labels and sleeves. I got singles like "Paseo por el centro de la ciudad" (Soul City Walk) in great characters in the 45 sleeve art... Hope some day I can post some curious stuff previously scanned.

Hi manny

I've got "Amor es el mensaje"- MFSB,

"Viviendo para el fin semana"-O"Jays

"Tengamos un hijo" -Billy Paul

"Ciudad del amor fraterno"- Soul Survivors

and "Hazlo como guieras"-Peoples Choice but thats Mexican so don't really count
:boxing:

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Hi manny

I've got "Amor es el mensaje"- MFSB,

"Viviendo para el fin semana"-O"Jays

"Tengamos un hijo" -Billy Paul

"Ciudad del amor fraterno"- Soul Survivors

and "Hazlo como guieras"-Peoples Choice but thats Mexican so don't really count
:boxing:

Cheers Paul

Hi again, Paul.

Here in Spain ALL these titles were traduced exactly in the same way. I have all the titles on different LP's ("El sonido de Filadelfia" was the sapnish LP title for original "Love Is The Message" MFSB album, something out of context according to the sleeve illustration against war and racism!; "When Love Is New" by Billy or "Family Reunion" by The O'Jays. The album titles were usually "respected" in the original english version). Some others on single as People's Choice "Hazlo como quieras" / "La gran herida" ("The Big Hurt") and Soul Survivor's "Ciudad del amor fraterno" / "La mejor vez fue la ºltima" ("The Best time was last time").

Also I have saw in the stores the single "Por amor al dinero" ("For The Love Of Money") with the graphic desgn totally "spanished" a 1.000 Pesetas note from Isidoro de Sevilla with the title adaptated in and the USA flag with the usual legend "The Philadelphia Sound".

Changing of subject, the only rarities I got from PIR label is the original Ebony's album (printed in USA) a Epic re-edition of Spiritual Concept selftitled album (with PIR logo in the cover and Epic logo in the label), a not-for sale USA edition of "Ebony Woman" album by Billy Paul. And recently I purchased an UK CD re-edition of "The Harris Machine" by Norman Harris with "Here To Create Music" by L. Huff wich I got previously on vynil. In other labels i got some not-for sale singles by Stylistics (H & L), Salsoul Orchestra and Bunny Sigler originally printed in USA LP's (on Salsoul) and Roullette recors 45's by Ecstassy Passion & Pain, distributed here by Carnaby records...

Cheers and Soul Food

Manny

Social source share

[quote name='manny' date='Apr 21 2007, 06:37 PM' post

Also I have saw in the stores the single "Por amor al dinero" ("For The Love Of Money") with the graphic desgn totally "spanished" a 1.000 Pesetas note from Isidoro de Sevilla with the title adaptated in and the USA flag with the usual legend "The Philadelphia Sound".

Manny

Edited by soul shrews
Social source share

And here's a little size and black and white reproduction un the back cover sleeve of the same single (adversiting info of three other PIR singles, by Three Degrees and O'Jays "Por Amor al Dinero"). Is hard to read the traduced at spanish title in the above rectangle in the mil pesetas note

post-8354-1177239678_thumb.jpg

Social source share

:)

Yep mines the same except it doesn"t have the sticker(?) in the top right corner

Never noticed the O"Jays picture on the back
:unsure:
:fool:

Hi, Paul. You're right. It is a sticker from "Club Interlaken" (Sicilia Street, Barcelona), a discotheque. I found the 45 at a second-hand store after search the "Soul Survivors" TSOP album unfructuously. I have a funny anecdoct about this. Really I "found" this LP in a second hand store (nice photo in the back cover with the mebers of the group playing at the country with a not well remeber if a Wolkswagen furgon or a roulotte (??!)... But in the inner of the sleeve, there was a Fausto Papetti album!! (something "frequent" in some second-hand stores! :angry:

Here's the complete back-cover art. Surely CBS mexican and CBS spanish had a different strategy on adversiting info in the sleeves.

post-8354-1177246084_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Other back cover singles have a different graphic design and contents. Her's the one of "Ya nada nos detendr¡" w/b "Consegu­ amor" with the "Ain't No Stoppin' Us Now" lyrics and the LP track list

post-8354-1177246359_thumb.jpg

Social source share

And finally (by now), here's the spanish single of "Soul City Walkin"

(I'm at my studio working and have some singles here. I got the albums and 45's at home. Here I only can heard CD's at the I-Tunes in the Mac)

Cheers and Soul Food. Manny

post-8354-1177246597_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Yesterday I was in HMV in Oxford Street and walked passed a young fella who had a pile of records he was listening to and what looked like a 12" with the TSOP label so I started chatting to him about the single, it ended up it's actually the Defected label and the TSOP on it turned out to be TSOD (The Sound Of Defected). Anyway the single was by Ron Hall & The Munthafunaz Feat Mark Evan and is called The Way You Love Me.

Anyhow I asked him what it sounds like so he handed over the headphones and said to have a listen - it's great. To me it sounds like what Philly International could have been putting out now. It's got a nice Philly sound but just a bit more up to date. Heres a little snippet 

Some might say its nice others might not

It says strings arranged & conducted by Vince Montana and recorded at The Studio, Philadelphia. Dunno is it was all recorded in Philly as it also mentions something about France on the label

By the way I believe there are a couple of mixes this one is Dim's T.S.O.P. Version

Blimey just found that Crazybeat have 7" copies of this

post-642-1177260353_thumb.jpg

Social source share

Hi, Peter 99

This is for to pedal at 45 rpm!

Perhaps there are someone who knows a very rare PIR vynil I saw one time in a music store. Not sure if is a LP or EP. Is Intruder's vynil entitled "Mother & Child Reunion" (like the track on "Save The Children" album track), but the art cover is a present box colour gold and in the back cover there was a message writen by K. Gamble. I don't well remember but I think there was only 4 0 5 titles in the track-list and I got practically all. As I buyed two other Philly Intl. vynil before in this same shop both printed in Holland, I think perhaps is a Holland PIR-CBS rare EP (or 12'') ...??

Cheers & Soul Food

Social source share

And about inner-sleeves design and info here's a "Earthwake in Phllly"... (really, in these days there was a "terremoto" in Spain with the smash hits from PIR...)

post-8354-1177770814_thumb.jpg

Social source share

manny said:
And about inner-sleeves design and info here's a "Earthwake in Phllly"... (really, in these days there was a "terremoto" in Spain with the smash hits from PIR...)

Anda, curiosamente ayer, paseando por la calle Tallers, entre por curiosidad en una tienda de discos y me hice con el LP de MFSB de 1975, "Amor Universal" (Universal Love). [PIR 80410]

Aparte de esto vi poca cosa de PIR, sabes alguna tienda en concreto donde haya mas cosa?

Social source share

Solsoul said:

Anda, curiosamente ayer, paseando por la calle Tallers, entre por curiosidad en una tienda de discos y me hice con el LP de MFSB de 1975, "Amor Universal" (Universal Love). [PIR 80410]

Aparte de esto vi poca cosa de PIR, sabes alguna tienda en concreto donde haya mas cosa?

Gu¡rdalo como oro en pa±o! Debe ser de la misma edici³n que el m­o (la carpeta se abre y, las nubes dibujan la frase "I Love You").

Tengo ganas de volver a la calle Riera Baixa a ver las tiendas Edison's (un mes o a±o de estos).

Saludos.

PD: el primer inner-sleeve enviado es de mi copia del elep de MFSB "Philadelphia Freedom" (PIR 81104)

Social source share

Hi again!

Here's a incomplete list of PIR singles and 12'' betwen 1971 and 1979. There are numbers unknown (with "??"). This is for the posibility somebody of you knows this ones. Also there are PIR singles published until the mid-to late 80's. Any adition to this list is welcome. Thanks.

Note: I knows in theUK many TSOP, Gamble and Golden Fleece were published under the PIR logo, like in Spain.

PHILADELPHIA INTERNATIONAL U.S. SINGLES LISTING 1971-1979

FIRST 200 RELEASES.

17 "Unknown" 3507, 3508, 3511, 3549, 3555, 3564, 3603, 3609, 3612, 3617, 3618, 3619, 3620, 3660, 3667, 3687, 3688

3501 : GIDEON SMITH - "Arkansas Life"/"When Two Worlds Can Successfully Collide"

3502 : JOHNNY WILLIAMS - "Its So Wonderful"/"Love Don't Rub Off"

3503 : EBONYS - "You're The Reason Why"/"Sexy Ways"

3504 : DICK JENSEN - "Three Cheers For Love"/"Going Up On The Mountain".

3505 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Everybody Needs Good Loving" Pt I/Pt II

3506 : BOBBY BENNETT - "Days Go by"/"Bumble Bee"

3507 : ???????

3508 : ???????

3509 : BILLY PAUL- "Love Buddies"/"Magic Carpet Ride"

3510 : EBONYS - "Do It"/"Determination"

3511 : ???????

3512 : DAVID SIGLER & DEE DEE SHARP - "Conquer The World Together"/"We Got a Good Thing Going"

3513 : EBONYS - "Without The One You Love Pt I"/PT II

3514 : EBONYS - "Do You Like The Way I Love You"/"I'm So Glad I'm Me"

3515 : BILLY PAUL- "I Wish It Were Yesterday"/"This Is Your Life"

3516 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "I Miss You Pt I"/Pt II

3517 : O'JAYS - "Backstabbers"/"Sunshine"

3518 : JOHNNY WILLIAMS - "Slow Motion"/"Shall We Gather By The Water"

3519 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Regina"/"Heaven Knows I Changed"

3520 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "If You Don't Know Me By Now"/"Let Me Into Your World"

3521 : BILLY PAUL - "Me and Mrs Jones"/"Your Song"

3522 : O'JAYS - "992 Arguments"/"Listen To The Clock On The Wall"

3523 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Picture Us"/"Tossing and Turning"

3524 : O'JAYS - "Love Train"/"Who Am I"

3525 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Yesterday I Had The Blues"/"Ebony Woman"

3526 : BILLY PAUL- "Am I Black Enough For You"/"I'm Gonna Make It This Time"

3527 : DICK JENSEN - "Penny For Your Thoughts"/"Tamika"

3528 : MFSB - "Family Affair"/"Laying Low"

3529 : EBONYS - "Its Forever"/"Sexy Ways"

3530 : JOHNNY WILLIAMS - "Its So Wonderfiul"/"Put it in Motion"

3531 : O'JAYS - "Time to get down"/"Shiftless Shady Jealous Kind Of People"

3532 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Five Fingers of Death"/"Regina"

3533 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "The Love I Lost Pt I"/Pt II

3534 : THREE DEGREES - "Dirty Old Man"/"Can't You See What You're Doing To Me"

3535 : O'JAYS - "Put Your Hands Together"/"You've Got Your Hooks In Me"

3536 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Thats How Long I'll Be Loving You"/"Heaven Knows I've Changed"

3537 : O'JAYS - "Christmas Just Ain't Christmas"/"Just Can't Get Enough"

3538 : BILLY PAUL- "Thanks For Saving My Life"/"I Was Married"

3539 : THREE DEGREES - "Year Of Decision"/"A Woman Needs A Good Man"

3540 : MFSB - "TSOP"/"Something For Nothing"

3541 : EBONYS - "Nation Time"/"I Believe"

3542 : DICK JENSEN - "New York's a Lonely Town"/"Peace of Mind"

3543 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Satisfaction Guaranteed"/"I'm Weak for You"

3544 : O'JAYS - "For the Love of Money"/"People Keep Telling Me"

3545 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Love Train Pt I"/"Love Train Pt II"

3546 : SPIRITUAL CONCEPT - Lets Take It All"/"Bull Do Do"

3547 : MFSB - "Love Is The Message"/"My One And Only Love"

3548 : EBONYS - "Hook Up and Get Down"/"Life in the Country"

3549 : ???????

3550 : THREE DEGREES - "When Will I See You Again"/"Year of Decision"

3551 : BILLY PAUL- "Be Truthful To Me"/"I Wish It Were Yesterday"

3552 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Where Are All My Friends"/"Let It Be You"

3553 : CAROLYN CRAWFORD - "Just Got To Be More Careful"/"Saving All The Love I Got For You"

3554 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Keep Smiling"/"Somebody Free"

3555 : ???????

3556 : THAD JONES & MEL LEWIS - "All My Yesterdays"/"Don't You Worry About Anything"

3557 : MONK MONTGOMERY - "Bump de Bump"/"Reality"

3558 : O'JAYS - "Sunshine (Live) Pt I"/Pt II

3559 : LENNY PAKULA - "Dont Let It Get You Down"/"Mr Record Company Man"

3560 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Shake Your Booty"/"Your Love is Good"

3561 : THREE DEGREES - "I Didn't Know"/"Dirty Old Man"

3562 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Bad Luck Pt I"/"Pt II

3563 : BILLY PAUL- "Billys Back Home"/"I've Got So Much To Live For"

3564 : ???????

3565 : O'JAYS - "Give The People What They Want"/"What Am I Waiting For"

3566 : ANTHONY WHITE - "Hey Baby"/"There Will Never Be Another"

3567 : MFSB - "Sexy"/"Human Machine"

3568 : THREE DEGREES - "Take Good Care of Yourself"/"Here I am"

3569 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Hope That We Can Be Together Soon"/"Be For Real"

3570 : CAROLYN CRAWFORD - "It Takes Two To Make One"/"No Matter How Bad Things Are I Still Love You"

3571 : BT & TB - "I Can't Quit Your Love"/"Queen of the Ghetto"

3572 : BILLY PAUL- "July July July July"/"When Its Your Time To Go"

3573 : O'JAYS - "Let Me Make Love To You"/"Survival"

3574 : ANTHONY WHITE - "Never Repay Your Love"/"Never Let You Get Away From Me"

3575 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Somebody Free"/"Thats How Long I'll Be Loving You"

3576 : MFSB - "Love Has No Time Or Place"/"TLC"

3577 : O'JAYS - "I Love Music Pt I"/Pt II

3578 : MFSB - "My Mood"/"The Zip"

3579 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Wake Up Everybody Pt I"/Pt II

3580 : CAROLYN CRAWFORD - "Good and Plenty"/"If You Move You Lose"

3581 : O'JAYS - "Christmas Just Ain't Christmas"/"Just Can't Get Enough"

3582 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Jingle Bells Pt I"/Pt II

3583 : MFSB - "Smile Happy"/"When Your Love Is Gone"

3584 : BILLY PAUL- "Lets Make a Baby"/"My Heads On Straight"

3585 : THREE DEGREES - "Free Ride"/"Loving Cup"

3586 : FORCE OF NATURE - "Baby I'm Yours(And Im So Glad)"/"Do It(Like You Ain't Got No Backbone)"

3587 : O'JAYS - "Living For The Weekend"/"Stairway To Heaven"

3588 : HAROLD MELVIN & BLUE NOTES - "Tell The World How I Feel About You"/"You Know How To Make Me Feel So Good"

3589 : MFSB - "Philadelphia Freedom"/"South Philly"

3590 : ANTHONY WHITE - "Im So Much In Love With You"/"Yes You Need Love"

3591 : ANTHONY WHITE - "Im So Much In Love With You"/"Yes You Need Love" 12"

3592 : LOU RAWLS - "Youll Never Find Another Love Like Mine"/"Lets Fall In Love All Over Again"

3593 : BILLY PAUL- "People Power"/"I Wantcha Baby"

3594 : DON COVEY - "No Tell Motel"/"Right Time for Love"

3595 : SOUL SURVIVORS - "Happy Birthday America Pt I"/Pt II

3596 : O'JAYS - "Unity"/"Family Reunion"

3597 : BUNNY SIGLER - "I Can't Believe That You Love Me"/"My Music"

3598 : DAP SUGAR - "Willie Big Jam"/"Groovin' In North Philly"

3599 : DEXTER WANSELL - "Life on Mars Pt I"/Pt II

3600 : MFSB - "Hot Summer Night"/"Summertime And I'm Feeling Mellow"

3601 : O'JAYS - "Message In Our Music"/"Shes Only A Woman"

3602 : DON COVEY - "Travelling In Heavy Traffic"/"Once You Have It"

3603 : ???????

3604 : LOU RAWLS - "Groovy People"/"This Song Will Last For Ever"

3605 : ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - "Nothing Comes Easy"/"Right Here Is Where I Want To Be"

3606 : DEXTER WANSELL - "One Million Miles From The Ground"/"Stargazer"

3607 : MFSB - "We Got The Time"

3608 : BUNNY SIGLER - "Somebody Loves You"/"Woman Woman"

3609 : ???????

3610 : O'JAYS - "Darling Darling Baby"/"A prayer"

3611 : DEXTER WANSELL - "Together Once Again"/"You Can Be What You Want To Be"

3612 : ???????

3613 : BILLY PAUL - "How Good Is Your Game"/"I Think Ill Stay Home Today"

3614 : JEAN CARN - "Free Love"/"Where Did You Ever Go"

3615 : ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - "Everybody Have A Good Time"/"I Bet You Can't Do That Dance Your Doing"

3616 : DEXTER WANSELL - "Disco Lights"/"Ad infinitum"

3617 : ???????

3618 : ???????

3619 : ???????

3620 : ???????

3621 : BILLY PAUL - "Let Em In"/"We All Got A Mission"

3622 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "I Dont Love You Anymore"/"Somebody Told Me"

3623 : LOU RAWLS - "See You When I Get There"/"Spring Again"

3624 : INTRUDERS - "I'll Always Love My Mama Pt I"/Pt II

3625 : DEE DEE SHARP GAMBLE - "Nobody Could Ever Take Your Place"/"Flashback"

3626 : MFSB - "Im On Your Side"/"Picnic In The Park"

3627 : PHILADELPHIA ALL STARS - "Lets Clean Up The Ghetto Pt I"/Pt II

3628 : JEAN CARN - "If You Wanna Go Back"/"You Are All I Need"

3629 : DEXTER WANSELL - "Dance With Me Tonight"/"Holding On"

3630 : BILLY PAUL - "I Trust You"/"Love Won't Come Easy"

3631 : O'JAYS - "Work On Me"/"Lets Spend Some Time Together"

3632 : ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - "Glad You Could Make It"/"Theres Noone Like You"

3633 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "The Whole Towns Laughing At Me"/"The More I Get The More I Want"

3634 : LOU RAWLS - "Lady Love"/"Not The Staying Kind"

3635 : BILLY PAUL - "Only The Strong Survive"/"Where I belong"

3636 : DEE DEE SHARP GAMBLE - "I'd Really Love To See You Tonight"/"What Color Is Love"

3637 : ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - "Its Hard Not To Like You"/ "I've Been Missing You"

3638 : DEE DEE SHARP GAMBLE - "Just As Long As I Know Your Mine"/"I Believe In Love"

3639 : BILLY PAUL - "Everybodys Breaking Up"/"Sooner or Later"

3640 : DEXTER WANSELL - "All Night Long"/"What The World Is Coming To"

3641 : MFSB - "K-Jee"/"My Mood"

3642 : O'JAYS - "Use Ta Be My Girl"/"This Time Baby"

3643 : LOU RAWLS - "One Life to Live"/"If I Coulda Woulda Shoulda"

3644 : DEE DEE SHARP GAMBLE - "I Wanna Be Your Woman"/"Trying To Get The Feeling Again"

3645 : BILLY PAUL - "One Mans Junk"/"Don't Give Up On Us"

3646 : JEAN CARN - "Happy To Be With You"/"Together Once Again"

3647 : DEXTER WANSELL - "Solutions"/"I'm In Love"

3648 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Close the Door"/"Get Up Get Down Get Funky Get Loose"

3649 : PEOPLES CHOICE - "Turn Me Loose"/"Soft and Tender"

3650 : MFSB - "Used To Be My Guy"/"Redwood Beach"

3651 : ARCHIE BELL & THE DRELLS - "Old People"/"On The Radio"

3652 : O'JAYS - "Brandy"/"Take Me To The Stars"

3653 : LOU RAWLS - "There Will be Love"/"Unforgettable"

3654 : JEAN CARN - "Don't Let It Go To Your Head"/"I Bet She Wont Love You Like I Do"

3655 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Only You"/"Get Up Get Down Get Funky Get Loose"

3656 : JERRY BUTLER - "(I'm Just Thinking About) Cooling Out"/"Are You Lonely Tonight"

3657 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Only You"/"It Dont Hurt Now"

3658 : PEOPLES CHOICE - "Rough Ride"/"Stay With Me"

3659 : EDWIN BIRDSONG - "Kunta Dance Pt I"/x"Pt II

3660 : ???????

3661 : FUTURES - "Party Time Ma"/"You Got It (The Love That I Need)"

3662 : RONNIE JAMES - "Wonder Girl"/"I Must Have Done It Right"

3663 : MFSB - "Lets Part Down"/"To Be In Love"

3664 : JERRY BUTLER - "(I'm Just Thinking About) Cooling Out"/"Are You Lonely Tonight" 12"

3665 : FUTURES - "Party Time Ma"/"You Got it (The Love That I Need)" 12"

3666 : JEAN CARN - "Theres a shortage of good Men"/"(No No) You Can't Come Back Now"

3667 : ???????

3668 : MFSB - "Dance With Me Tonight"/"Is It Something I Said"

3669 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Life Is A Song Worth Singing"/"Cold Cold World"

3670 : EDWIN BIRDSONG - "Phizz Phizz"/"Goldmine"

3671 : EDWIN BIRDSONG - "Phizz Phizz"/"Goldmine" 12"

3672 : LOU RAWLS - "Send In The Clowns"/"This Song Will Last For Ever"

3673 : JERRY BUTLER - "I'm Glad To Be Back"/"Nothing Says I Love You Like I Love You"

3674 : FUTURES - "Ain't Got Time For Nothing"/"(Your the One) Someone Special"

3675 : McPHADDEN & WHITEHEAD - "Ain't No Stopping Us Now"/"I Got The Love"

3676 : BILLY PAUL - "Bring The Family Back"/"Its Critical"

3677 : JOCKO - "he Rockeship"/"Instrumental"

3678 : BILLY PAUL - "Bring The Family Back"/"Its Critical" 12"

3679 : THE FORCE - "Rock Your Baby Parts I and II)" 12"

3680 : JONES GIRLS - "Your Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else"/"Who Can I run To"

3681 : McPHADDEN & WHITEHEAD - "Ain't No Stopping Us Now"/"I Got The Love" 12"

3682 : JONES GIRLS - "Your Gonna Make Me Love Somebody Else"/"Who Can I run To" 12"

3683 : JERRY BUTLER - "Lets Make Love"/"Dream World"

3684 : LOU RAWLS - "Let Me Be Good To You"/"Lovers Holiday"

3685 : THE FORCE - "Rock Your Baby"/"Feeling So Fine"

3686 : LOU RAWLS - "Let Me Be Good To You"/"Lovers Holiday" 12"

3687 : ???????

3688 : ???????

3689 : INTRUDERS - - "I'll Always Love My Mama"/"Save The Children" 12"

3680 : SILK - "Midnight Dancer"/"Get On Up"

3691 : SILK - "Midnight Dancer"/"Get On Up" 12"

3692 : DEXTER WANSELL - "I'll Never Forget My Favourite Disco"/"It's Been Cool"

3693 : MICHAEL PEDICIN JR - "Thats A Good One"/"Song For Sherry"

3694 : BOBBY RUSH - "I Wanna Do The Do"/"Hey Western Union Man"

3695 : BOBBY RUSH - "I Wanna Do The Do"/"Hey Western Union Man" 12"

3696 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Turn Off The Lights"/"If You Know Like I know"

3697 : FRANTIQUE - "Strut Your Funky Stuff"/"Getting Serious"

3698 : TEDDY PENDERGRASS - "Turn Off The Lights"/"If You Know Like I know" 12"

3699 : BILLY PAUL - "I Gotta Put This Life Down"/"False Faces"

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Blimey! Is this thread still running?? unsure.gif

Did I mention I found a Spanish copy of the Soul Survivors TSOP album on a market stall? Never seen one before. (It's on PIR) There were lots of Italian pressings of "Let's Clean Up The Ghetto" album knocking around in the 80's also I recall. Nice quality.

Social source share

Blimey! Is this thread still running?? :thumbsup:

Did I mention I found a Spanish copy of the Soul Survivors TSOP album on a market stall? Never seen one before. (It's on PIR) There were lots of Italian pressings of "Let's Clean Up The Ghetto" album knocking around in the 80's also I recall. Nice quality.

Hi, Mel Brat,

As I have explained before, I "founded it" in a second hand store (with a Fausto Papetti vinyl in the inner of the sleeve!), but the logo in the sleeve is TSOP. I also have "We Got The Rythm" spanish LP (from People's Choice) with TSOP logo in the sleeve and the PIR logo in the label of the vinyl.

I think these are the artists who recorded for TSOP Pir subsidiary (some of wich recorded before for North Bay and after for PIR or in a way alternative): Talk Of The Town, Dee Dee Sharp, Love Committee, Soul Survivors, People's Choice, O'Jays, Stylistics, Elliot Hoffman, Archie Bell & The Drells, Jean Carne.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Hi, Mel Brat,

As I have explained before, I "founded it" in a second hand store (with a Fausto Papetti vinyl in the inner of the sleeve!), but the logo in the sleeve is TSOP. I also have "We Got The Rythm" spanish LP (from People's Choice) with TSOP logo in the sleeve and the PIR logo in the label of the vinyl.

I think these are the artists who recorded for TSOP Pir subsidiary (some of wich recorded before for North Bay and after for PIR or in a way alternative): Talk Of The Town, Dee Dee Sharp, Love Committee, Soul Survivors, People's Choice, O'Jays, Stylistics, Elliot Hoffman, Archie Bell & The Drells, Jean Carne.

Yes, the logo on the Soul Survivors Spanish issue SLEEVE says TSOP I think, but the actual label design is PIR. (It was on TSOP in the US of course, along with the single releases) Mentioning Elliot Hoffman (again!), do you know the title of the B-Side to "Another World" by any chance? Thanks.

Social source share

Guest soulville

Great stuff Manny. Never knew about some of those 7". As for Rachel Welch and Ronnie Walker both news to me. I wonder if Rachels has a couple of standouts :o) They don't get a mention in the House on Fire book. Does anybody have a complete list of the PIR LP's?

What is the rarest issued LP? Just curious.

BTW Richard are you the Richard I used to swap tapes with?

I plan to expand the philly page on this website

Anybody can add to this site? Anybody want to give it a go?

BTW that Spanish site looks good. Is there an English version cause were all lazy gits with languages :o)

George Reid

Social source share

Hi again, Mel Brat,

I knows Elliot Hoffman only because I'm a member of the Soulfuldetroit forum and there are a nice thread (from around year ago) by SDF member Soulaholic who is a great soul collector. Her's a pic by a Elliot Hoffman 45 on TSOP.

You can get to:

After, in the menu you can go to "Platinum threads", and there are a nice thread in five parts all by 45's label scans of PIR, TSOP and outside productions by PIR regular personel (on babylon, Silver Blue, Atco,...).

Also on "Platinum threads" you'll found a very nice trhead in various parts by Weldon McDougal, full of nice pics of PIR artists. There are one by Gamble, Huff and Mrs. Raquel Welch.

Hi, Soulville,

When I siad "Ronnie Walker" I should to say Ronnie "The Hawk" James (the one who plays guitar on Salsoul Orchestra and cowrote "Runaway" with Montana). I'm confused with another Philly artist, Michael Walker, who recorded for Thunder records (a Thom bell label) but some track appeared in some PIR compilations.

I forget to mention another TSOP artist: mcFadden & Whitehead (the Talk Of The Town trio reduced to a duo), who, after their first LP on PIR, published "I Heard It In A Love Song" album on TSOP.

Also, something rare is the fact that in the 70's, in USA, some artsists like Yellow Sunshine and Intruders published the singles on TSOP and the LP's on Gamble.

I got an "oficial" LP's list at home in the inner book of the 14 LP's box "Philadelphia History" (by UK Street Sounds). I'll check tomorrow. But they says in this booklet that this is not the USA list and do not includes Gamble and some TSOP albums.

Cheers and Soul Food

Social source share

Guest soulville

Check this website for more discography info superb. I'm gonna mail them with some updates on PIR and csablanca. Fantastic resource for all us vinyl junkies. Some LP scans on some pages as well.

I'l be checking the soulful detroit forum. I know Bobby Eli is on there. One of my non philly philly faves is TUME Love Shortage whch came out on MGM LP and 7" superb uptempo philly that will be huge one day. Mr Eli is behind that one.

https://www.bsnpubs.com/

George

Social source share

Think it's a bit unfair of you to single out just Eddie Levert as the great lead voice of the O'Jays. Walt Williams took almost as many leads as Eddie and many of us (well, me for a start) hold him in equal regard.

Walt often took the verses - as in "Use Ta Be My Girl" - wth Eddie coming in on the chorus or bridge. I'm sure that you don't, but I bet there are a lot of people out there who don't realise that many killer O'Jays tracks boast twin lead vocals...

...It should go without saying, however, that Eddie Levert is one of the greatest singers of all time, any genre...

TONE

Tone,

I know Walt sang as much as Eddie.....but gis a break :D

David Ruffin is a great voice to me..but the Temps had more good voices...(don't start on Paul Williams lol)

and with the O'Jays..Eddie is a great voice..really does it for me..that extra bit that makes it great

..I promise to write 100 times...I must try harder with my webpage in case Tone visits again

Barry :P

Social source share

• 1 month later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!