Philly International - The Rare & The Good

Richard

Hi all

Can anyone give me a run down on any rarer Philadephia International, TSOP and Golden Fleece sides.

Don't think I've ever heard anything on the Golden Fleece label, are any there any good releases at all??

Cheers

Richard

Edited by richard
Social source share

• Replies 445
  • Views 30k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Hi all

Can anyone give me a run down on any rarer Philadephia International, TSOP and Golden Fleece sides.

Don't think I've ever heard anything on the Golden Fleece label, are any there any good releases at all??

Cheers

Richard

Not one to miss a SSSC moment,one on Golden Fleece for you.

12896 refosoul

Social source share

Two hard and great PIR tracks:

Carolyn Crawford - You move, you lose - monster dancer

Ebonys - Do you like the way I love you - non lp goodie

How rare is the Carolyn Crawford?

Harder ones include....off the top of my head

Also Brockington Sisters "Stretch out" (TSOP) a great little non hit

McFadden & Whitehead "Ain't no stopping us now" the sports versions on TSOP

Issues of "Hey baby" by Anthony White

Social source share

Also, different City related demo's of 'Clean up the ghetto'. As part of the promotion of this tune Philly Inter put out a bunch of demo's for major citys. On the intro instead of "I was in New York City the other day" Lou sings I was in Detroit or Washington etc. Not sure how many versions they put out in total, maybe someone else can say. I have about four versions somewhere.

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Also, different City related demo's of 'Clean up the ghetto'. As part of the promotion of this tune Philly Inter put out a bunch of demo's for major citys. On the intro instead of "I was in New York City the other day" Lou sings I was in Detroit or Washington etc. Not sure how many versions they put out in total, maybe someone else can say. I have about four versions somewhere.

Hi Dave

Just checked my demo of "Clean up the ghetto" and Lou "was in San Francisco the other day" on my copy.

Funny hadn't noticed it till u mentioned the variations on the lyrics.

cheers

Derek

Social source share

I have about 5 different ones.

Social source share

Harder ones include....off the top of my head

Also Brockington Sisters "Stretch out" (TSOP) a great little non hit

McFadden & Whitehead "Ain't no stopping us now" the sports versions on TSOP

Issues of "Hey baby" by Anthony White

would have to agree with you there Steve.....oh by the way it's Brockington Singers and the issue has "My Inspiration" on the other side which is better imo :wicked: it's a shame that the other side of the Anthony White issue ain't that good!

Another great choon but I don't know if it's rare is Silk "I can't stop turning you on"

The "Let's Cleean Up The Ghetto" mixes I have St Louis & Miami

Social source share

THERES ANOTHER CAROLYN CRAWFORD IM GONNA GIVE A RUN OUT AT LOWTON THAT IS THE BRILLIANT JUST GOT TO BE MORE CAREFUL,NEVER SEE THAT ABOUT MUCH AT ALL AND IT IS SO GOOD,ONLY ISSUED ON THE DEMO I THINK[COULD BE WRONG BUT].

BAZ A.

Exists on issue Baz!

two hard 45 releases by Archie Bell & the Drells:

"Old people"

"Where will you go when the party's over"

Social source share

Exists on issue Baz!

two hard 45 releases by Archie Bell & the Drells:

"Old people"

"Where will you go when the party's over".

Mistake!.

Edited by ken
Social source share

Hi Dave

Just checked my demo of "Clean up the ghetto" and Lou "was in San Francisco the other day" on my copy.

Funny hadn't noticed it till u mentioned the variations on the lyrics.

cheers

Derek

I just checked mines and it says was in "Baltimore the other day" 5 and counting then, any smaller obscure cities anyone know about?

Pretty sure that chap who does occasional Philly Shows on Solar (forgot your name apologies as know you are on here :wicked: ) had discussion with Steve P about this.

ANy cheap Philly WD's for sale I am always interested as for some crazy reason I have loosely collected them over years.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

would have to agree with you there Steve.....oh by the way it's Brockington Singers and the issue has "My Inspiration" on the other side which is better imo :wicked: it's a shame that the other side of the Anthony White issue ain't that good!

Another great choon but I don't know if it's rare is Silk "I can't stop turning you on"

The "Let's Cleean Up The Ghetto" mixes I have St Louis & Miami

Spot on re the Silk Val, great tune, and dont see it too often, does anyone have a demo of this, I have issue but would like WD.

Social source share

THERES ANOTHER CAROLYN CRAWFORD IM GONNA GIVE A RUN OUT AT LOWTON THAT IS THE BRILLIANT JUST GOT TO BE MORE CAREFUL,NEVER SEE THAT ABOUT MUCH AT ALL AND IT IS SO GOOD,ONLY ISSUED ON THE DEMO I THINK[COULD BE WRONG BUT].

BAZ A.

Good call Baz, great vocals and good uptempo dancer.

I have another one as well, It Takes Two To Make One, more funky and mainstream but great vocals, not as good as the other two.

Cmon Ms Rachel can see a Philly International monday coming on! :wicked:

Social source share

Not sure.. I've found three copies since I started looking for it about a year ago when I re-newed my interest for the philly sound. It seems to be pretty much unknown despite being re-issued on Pir 12" a few years ago. I have a feeling it's rarer than issues of Anthony White actually + it's an absolute killer so price should raise quickly once more known.

Social source share

I have another one as well, It Takes Two To Make One, more funky and mainstream but great vocals, not as good as the other two.

Yes think she has 3 PIR 45's in total. There was another thread on here discussing the possibility of unreleased PIR stuff by her?

Jocko - Steve Plumb had W/D "Old people" on his website @ £25 but I think it sold?

Social source share

ANy cheap Philly WD's for sale I am always interested as for some crazy reason I have loosely collected them over years.

Cheers

Jock

Jock,

If you drop me a PM with the WDs you are looking for then the next time I go to my storage space I'll have a look for you. Got a pile of PIR stuff down there that I haven't sorted through in ages...might be able to help you out on some.

Adam.

Social source share

Not sure.. I've found three copies since I started looking for it about a year ago when I re-newed my interest for the philly sound. It seems to be pretty much unknown despite being re-issued on Pir 12" a few years ago. I have a feeling it's rarer than issues of Anthony White actually + it's an absolute killer so price should raise quickly once more known.

I know Ian Levine was saying it was very rare because Caroline didn't know it came out.

I have two copies, both issues.

Social source share

I know Ian Levine was saying it was very rare because Caroline didn't know it came out.

I have two copies, both issues.

Probably a silly question, given your reputation for hoarding vinyl :wicked: , is one for sale? Although given above comment if so may be a bit rich for me, but if so PM and we can discuss.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

oh yes nice that jock,love the whole logo,cant beat a bit Pendergrass also,ANYONE GOT THE LP DISCOGRAPHY?

BAZ A.

Social source share

just got to be more careful is in the book at £50 ,but i have never seen it on the issue and i know i have not seen many about,do many people know this?

BAZ A.

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Here's one of my favourite PIR rarities.

Never seen an issue, or the LP it advertises, anyone out there have either?

Anyone doubting its relationship to PIR need only look at the address around the bottom of the label (or hear the record!)

TONE

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...and here's another:

...my favourite HM and the Bs dancer -only issued on 45 in Jamaica, available everywhere else in the world on the "Wake Up Everybody" LP....

TONE

Social source share

Jocko - Steve Plumb had W/D "Old people" on his website @ £25 but I think it sold?

Yep, i had two mint copies - i updated the site last week and they went in the first couple of hours!!!!!

It's on the 'Let's clean up the ghetto' LP too if anyone who wants it didn't know that?

It's a longer mix too!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

I just checked mines and it says was in "Baltimore the other day" 5 and counting then, any smaller obscure cities anyone know about?

Pretty sure that chap who does occasional Philly Shows on Solar (forgot your name apologies as know you are on here :D ) had discussion with Steve P about this.

Cheers

Jock

Yep, it was Neil Forbes...................I was lucky enough to pick up mulitple copies of 7 or 8 different US 45 edits of 'Let's clean up the ghetto', so when i saw he was doing a Philly Int Special, i sent him a pack of each edit! Since then he has picked up a further 3...........................I'll list all the ones i have and i'll contact him for the extra ones he's picked up and we'll all become LCUTG anoraks :wicked::unsure::D

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

...and here's another:

...my favourite HM and the Bs dancer -only issued on 45 in Jamaica, available everywhere else in the world on the "Wake Up Everybody" LP....

TONE

What a coincidence Mr Rounce!

After Sam's little Philly duet on Friday, me and Barry Maleady were talking about playing this 'LP only' cut for a change...........then someone comes along with a Jamaican copy :wicked: I could have done with this for me write up in the last Shades of Soul too!!!!

btw Great to finally meet you at The Orwell :unsure:

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

What a coincidence Mr Rounce!

After Sam's little Philly duet on Friday, me and Barry Maleady were talking about playing this 'LP only' cut for a change...........then someone comes along with a Jamaican copy :wicked: I could have done with this for me write up in the last Shades of Soul too!!!!

btw Great to finally meet you at The Orwell :unsure:

Cheers

Steve

Yes, you too, mate - the four of us who came up all had a splendid time, the tunes were absolutely wonderful and I'm glad you beat me to the George Wilson Stang 'shelf-filler' - at least I can eat this month, having not had to buy it :D

I may still have a spare of "Keep On Lovin' You" somewhere, I'll have a rake through the dupes over the weekend and it's yours if I do. The bonus here, BTW, is that the other side is the full-length version of "Don't Leave Me This Way", rather than the faded out version that was on the UK 45.

TONE

Social source share

Lets not forget Billy Paul, what a voice. I have been plugging away with a midtempo dancer "The Whole Towns Talking" for ages, britsh issue. Finally got someone to dance to it at Denton Brithish Legion last friday. Great track. People mistake it for the Teddy P track "The whole towns laughing".. Cheers John

Social source share

Here's some good links to some info on PI, TSOP and Golden Fleece album discographies

https://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/pi.html

https://www.discogs.com/label/Philadelphia+...ational+Records

https://www.discogs.com/label/TSOP

https://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/tsop.html

https://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/goldenfleece.html

Also Gamble

https://www.bsnpubs.com/columbia/gamble.html

Not sure how comprehensive but a nice little read. I've spotted a few inaccurate bits on these such as some of the info about Harold Melvin and the Bluenotes but may be usefull info on there for some

Edited by richard
Social source share

Lets not forget Billy Paul, what a voice. I have been plugging away with a midtempo dancer "The Whole Towns Talking" for ages, britsh issue. Finally got someone to dance to it at Denton Brithish Legion last friday. Great track. People mistake it for the Teddy P track "The whole towns laughing".. Cheers John

Talking about Billy Paul - is his "You're my sweetness" only available on his Greatest hits album?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Talking about Billy Paul - is his "You're my sweetness" only available on his Greatest hits album?

No, it was on a single too - don't have the number to hand, unfortunately.

TONE

Social source share

No, it was on a single too - don't have the number to hand, unfortunately.

TONE

Thanks for the info! We might need to add this to the rare list - found no info on the net of a 45 when I looked before. Found a record number now - 3736. rolleyes.gif

One more rare on 45, I long thought this was LP only:

Jones Girls "This feeling's killing me"

45 disco here, you people in the know might be able to help to fill the gaps? For instance neither the mentioned Jones Girls nor the Billy Paul is included.

https://www.soulfulkindamusic.net/pir.htm

Social source share

Hi all

Cheers

Richard

Try Robert Upchurch "The Devil Made Me Do It" on Golden Fleece
thumbsup.gif

Ken put a nice Love Committee Golden Fleece track up a couple of months ago, sounded good

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Yep a great track by a great singer, nice one John
thumbsup.gif
Norman Jay used to play this at some of his "rare groove" nights back in the day.

Have you tried Billys "I Trust You"? Or "Brown Baby"?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

just got to be more careful is in the book at £50 ,but i have never seen it on the issue and i know i have not seen many about,do many people know this?

BAZ A.

never realised it was so hard just assumed it was as easy as most others probably because i got mine in the olden days rolleyes.gif when stuff was cheap

mark

Social source share

Pretty sure that chap who does occasional Philly Shows on Solar (forgot your name apologies as know you are on here
blush.gif
) had discussion with Steve P about this.

Cheers

Jock

Hi Jock,

I've got 11 versions

Philadelphia

Chicago

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Dallas

Houston

Miami

St Louis

Washington DC

and San Francisco

I"ve also heard an LA version.

Think I"ve got about 20/30 different titles WD's spare. PM me if your interested and I'll send you a list.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

Shelf filler???? :angry: It's wonderful - not the side Sammy boy plays but the other side. thumbsup.gif

It's a private joke, Steve, but you're welcome to share in it :thumbsup:

It is indeed a wonderful record - both sides - and I would love to own it on a single. I won't tell you how much Sam wanted for his spare copy but there was a mid range single digit and some zeros on the price tag. Luckily for Steve P, Sam was in a trading mood... yes.gif

TONE

Social source share

Hi Jock,

I've got 11 versions

Philadelphia

Chicago

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Dallas

Houston

Miami

St Louis

Washington DC

and San Francisco

I"ve also heard an LA version.

Think I"ve got about 20/30 different titles WD's spare. PM me if your interested and I'll send you a list.

Cheers Paul

HELLO PAUL

GOT A SPARE ANTHONY WHITE NEVER REPAY YOUR LOVE ON A WHITE PROMO,I STILL NEED TO SEND YOU SOMETHING ALSO [LOU COURTNEY SO IF YOU WANT TO DO A BIT TRADING YOU CAN HAVE IT]JUST PM ME MATE.

BAZ A.

PS I RATE NEVER REPAY YOUR LOVE IT IS SO SOULFUL.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!