Cleveland

Dallas

Houston

Miami

St Louis

Washington DC

and San Francisco

I"ve also heard an LA version.

Think I"ve got about 20/30 different titles WD's spare. PM me if your interested and I'll send you a list.

Cheers Paul

I'll add Detroit to the list

Social source share

• Replies 445
  • Views 30.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Lets not forget Billy Paul, what a voice. I have been plugging away with a midtempo dancer "The Whole Towns Talking" for ages, britsh issue. Finally got someone to dance to it at Denton Brithish Legion last friday. Great track. People mistake it for the Teddy P track "The whole towns laughing".. Cheers John

check out billys version of elton johns "your song" i think its on the flip of the early copies of mrs jones, and isnt there a jean carne track called "i just thought of a way" thats pretty hard to get

Social source share

I`m no collector but if i was i would collect this label, love it to bits!

I picked up a different version of "Aint no stoppin us now"... all about the Philly football team going for the superbowl...same track different lyrics.

I have been playing and pushing the Ebonys "I`m so glad i`m me" lately.

I met Phil Hurt a couple of years ago and asked him all about Anthony White, he said the company put lots of money behind him and really tried to promote him but it just never happened for him......

Chris

Social source share

I`m no collector but if i was i would collect this label, love it to bits!

I picked up a different version of "Aint no stoppin us now"... all about the Philly football team going for the superbowl...same track different lyrics.

Chris

Hi Chris

This would be the KC Royals v Phila.

"The Philly fanatics are just as mean".....as well as the football one I mentioned yesterday (which has had a few spins from me over the years) there is also a basketball version...

Steve

Social source share

The only thing missing from this thread is the SOUND CLIPS where are they has Pete Smith blocked them sorry Pete wicked.gif

:shades: Sound clips please.

or if mods will give it the go ahead we can make Friday Philly International Friday (pleeeaaassseee) thumbsup.gif then we can have some great underplayed cheapies as well as the rarer goodies

Edited by richard
Social source share

Golden Fleece wise, I've always rate the flip side of Love Epidemic...... "I Know That Feeling".

A PITCHES biggie at one time!

Also, I used to play "Where Do We Go From Here" as a new release. Luvverly tune.

Seems to be a bit of a revival on the Philly Sound of late and I'm pleased to see it.

Bought pretty much every Philly Int I could get my hands on at the time.

The new interest in the output should please Gary Pelley no end!

:thumbsup:

Sean

Social source share

Two from the Trammps that spring to mind are "Trusting Heart" and "Where do we go from here" :thumbsup:

steve

2 crackers :wicked:

We've bin spinning 'The Trammps - Stop & Think' of late too (both versions)

And talking of Anthony White, we're also spinning 'Stop and think it over' (LP only)

Sean's right, there is a revival at the mo' and it ain't just on the rarer stuff either.

Sam's bin throwing total classics into his sets and on Friday at The Orwell, threw in 'Satisfaction Guaranteed' & 'Let's clean up the Ghetto' (Chicago edit i think?)

At the Hilton he played 'Ain't no stopping us now' and 'The love i lost'

I think with the success of the recent Tom Moulton & Vince Montana things, folks are digging back to the classic Philly sounds again, which is all good in my book!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Let's clean up the ghetto - Special edits

Philadelphia

Chicago

Baltimore

Cincinnati

Cleveland

Dallas

Houston

Miami

St Louis

Washington DC

San Francisco

LA

Detroit

NYC

For all the anoraks out there, i'm just getting the record numbers of these babies together and will post them up later unless someone beats me to it. Don't have Detroit, Philly, Miami so any help on their numbers would be nice? Any more city edits not on the above list?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

It's a private joke, Steve, but you're welcome to share in it :P

It is indeed a wonderful record - both sides - and I would love to own it on a single. I won't tell you how much Sam wanted for his spare copy but there was a mid range single digit and some zeros on the price tag. Luckily for Steve P, Sam was in a trading mood... :(

TONE

Yeah Steve, it was a private joke.........i once put it into the 'wants' section as a Stang label filler :thumbsup: and young Tone remembered. In fact on Friday as me and Sam were 'doing the deal' Tony leant over and said 'aah that's the George Wilson label filler you were looking for' (hee hee)

Nice one Tony :wicked:

And yes Steve, both sides are great aren't they :ohmy:

.............now, that other Stang label filler by the Young Girls is next :D

Cheers

Steve

Edited by Steve Plumb
Social source share

Not really on the topic of rare Philly singles, but more an aside on the WDs that you mention, Jock: last year there was a relative flood of these on the market that I was told was Kenny Gamble's own residual stock: some tens of thousands of remaindered Philly singles mostly on WDJ copy that were turning up all over the place as the collection was broken up. Mister CD in London's Berwick Street had a huge number and were selling them at something like a pound a piece if you bought ten or more. I bought a few dozen things that I had previously only had on albums or UK singles. They've still seemingly got tons of them, although I suspect that many of the cream titles have been combed out.

Social source share

Let's clean up the ghetto - Special edits

Philadelphia AE7 1136 ZSP 163637

Chicago AE7 1141 ZSP 163647

Baltimore AE7 1137 ZSS 163640

Cincinnati

Cleveland AE7 1143 ZSS 163652

Dallas AE7 1144 ZSP 163653

Houston AE7 1140 ZSP 163645

Miami AE7 1135 ZSS 163636

St Louis AE7 1139 ZSS 163644

Washington DC AE7 1134 ZSP 163633

San Francisco AE7 1145 ZSP 163655

LA

Detroit

NYC

For all the anoraks out there, i'm just getting the record numbers of these babies together and will post them up later unless someone beats me to it. Don't have Detroit, Philly, Miami so any help on their numbers would be nice? Any more city edits not on the above list?

Cheers

Steve

ONLY ONES I'VE GOT STILL LOOKING FOR OTHERS :wicked: CHRIS MORGAN

Social source share

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

???? AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

Los Angeles AE7 1146

Detroit ????

NYC Don't know if this exists in this series?

Normal NYC Issue is ZS8 3627 i presume the demo is the same - anyone?

Didn't put the ZSS/ZSP #'s down as these are mono/stereo and are different on each side i.e. St Louis is ZSS 163644/ZSP 163643

So Detroit & NYC #'s needed PLUS any other edits we've missed?

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

???? AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

Los Angeles AE7 1146

Detroit ????

Didn't put the ZSS/ZSP #'s down as these are mono/stereo and are different on each side i.e. St Louis is ZSS 163644/ZSP 163643

Cheers

Steve

my mistake :wicked:
Social source share

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

???? AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

Los Angeles AE7 1146

Detroit ????

Cheers

Steve

Detroit AE7 1138

Other cities you'd think there would be one for Atlanta, Nashville, Pittsburg, New Orleans??????????

Edited by Dave Thorley
Social source share

Detroit AE7 1138

Other cities you'd think there would be one for Atlanta, Nashville, Pittsburg, New Orleans??????????

Nice one Dave :wicked:

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

Detroit AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

LA AE7 1146

NYC Don't know if this exists in this series? Normal Issue is ZS8 3627 i presume the demo is the same - anyone?

Someone give Steve Guarnori a nudge and get him to check his shelves!

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Not really on the topic of rare Philly singles, but more an aside on the WDs that you mention, Jock: last year there was a relative flood of these on the market that I was told was Kenny Gamble's own residual stock: some tens of thousands of remaindered Philly singles mostly on WDJ copy that were turning up all over the place as the collection was broken up. Mister CD in London's Berwick Street had a huge number and were selling them at something like a pound a piece if you bought ten or more. I bought a few dozen things that I had previously only had on albums or UK singles. They've still seemingly got tons of them, although I suspect that many of the cream titles have been combed out.

Hi Garth, the ones in Berwick St came to England via Amsterdam. The dealer who bought them from the states told me they were bankrupt stock from a distributer in New Jersey. In all there were between 60 to 70 thousand and I got to go through them all..... twice! The secound time was a labour of love sorting them to be sold on. Thats why I know the Berwick St ones were those, the boxes had my writing on them. An awful lot of multi copies as you"d expect, I can remember 2/3000 copies of "I'll Always Love My Mama" and about the same of Billy Pauls "Let Em In".

A good range age wise tho from Billy Pauls "Am I Black Enough For You" through to Shirley Jones solo 45's.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

It's a private joke, Steve, but you're welcome to share in it :wicked:

It is indeed a wonderful record - both sides - and I would love to own it on a single. I won't tell you how much Sam wanted for his spare copy but there was a mid range single digit and some zeros on the price tag. Luckily for Steve P, Sam was in a trading mood... :thumbsup:

TONE

Jeepers, he's not selling it already, he's only had it a few months!!! rolleyes.gif

It's a great little record though.

Social source share

Yeah Steve, it was a private joke.........i once put it into the 'wants' section as a Stang label filler whistling.gif and young Tone remembered. In fact on Friday as me and Sam were 'doing the deal' Tony leant over and said 'aah that's the George Wilson label filler you were looking for' (hee hee)

Nice one Tony :thumbsup:

And yes Steve, both sides are great aren't they :wicked:

.............now, that other Stang label filler by the Young Girls is next :(

Cheers

Steve

Oh yeah I remember that speculative post - Too right mate great double sider, likewise the Young Ladies :yes:

Social source share

check out billys version of elton johns "your song" i think its on the flip of the early copies of mrs jones, and isnt there a jean carne track called "i just thought of a way" thats pretty hard to get

Hi codfromderby the Jean Carn tracks from the "Sweet And Wonderful" LP. Don't know if its a 45. Its not listed in her discography in "In The Basement" no 27.

I heard her 45 of "My Love Don"t Come Easy" was a hard one to get.

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Nice one Dave thumbsup.gif

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

Detroit AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

LA AE7 1146

NYC Don't know if this exists in this series? Normal Issue is ZS8 3627 i presume the demo is the same - anyone?

Cheers

Steve

All right all right....NY demo here but run out groove is BP ZS8-3627-3. No Ae7 number so I presume NY came first.....

Social source share

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

Detroit AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

LA AE7 1146

Cheers

Steve

All right all right....NY demo here but run out groove is BP ZS8-3627-3. No Ae7 number so I presume NY came first.....

Social source share

Washington DC AE7 1134

Miami AE7 1135

Philadelphia AE7 1136

Baltimore AE7 1137

Detroit AE7 1138

St Louis AE7 1139

Houston AE7 1140

Chicago AE7 1141

Cincinnati AE7 1142

Cleveland AE7 1143

Dallas AE7 1144

San Francisco AE7 1145

LA AE7 1146

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Not sure.. I've found three copies since I started looking for it about a year ago when I re-newed my interest for the philly sound. It seems to be pretty much unknown despite being re-issued on Pir 12" a few years ago. I have a feeling it's rarer than issues of Anthony White actually + it's an absolute killer so price should raise quickly once more known.

All three Carolyn Crawford releases on PIR were known (and loved!) at the time of release. "Just Got To Be More Careful" was a Blackpool Mecca spin when new and is something of a minor Mecca "anthem" (Levine spun it as such at the Mecca Millenium Allnighter) The other two PIR releases are "If You Move You Lose" with the old Ruby Andrews tune of "Good n' Plenty" as the official A-Side, and "It Takes Two To Make One". All three were regular releases, though with the latter side, mostly demos seem to turn up. I personally wouldn't describe "It Takes Two To Make One" as "funky" really - to me more like a bouncy, early 70's release, almost Northern in fact. Great lyrics! I think all three are TREMENDOUS records, all very different, but all highly recommended. I bought the Silk record as a new release too and went ape over it, only to find out later that they were non other than Anglo Saxon Brown featuring Deborah Henry, whom I had gone equally ga-ga over three years earlier! (She later performed a duet with Jerry Butler on one of his PIR albums, but I heard little else about her, despite writing to PIR for info in 1980!)

P.S. Have posted elsewhere that Carolyn herself informed me in 2000 of several tracks that remain unreleased! (She has them on tape) - Not only that, but at least two of those songs were included on the magnificent first Jean Carn album! No doubt in my mind then that Carolyn would probably have had an album issued had she stayed with the company...

Further to the original request (!), Kaleidoscope on TSOP seems to have been largely forgotton, Typical Philly. Also Sons Of Robin Stone had a release on EPIC in 1976. I also have a very obscure release (I think!) on TSOP somewhere, but will have to dig it out to even recall the title!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Got a Texus and others............ :ohmy:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

I know Ian Levine was saying it was very rare because Caroline didn't know it came out.

I have two copies, both issues.

No, Levine thought that "If You Move, You Lose" had not been released, as he'd missed it, but he was mistaken. All three were actually issued.

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Not really on the topic of rare Philly singles, but more an aside on the WDs that you mention, Jock: last year there was a relative flood of these on the market....

This is really ironic, as we were chasing PIR/TSOP demos like crazy back in the 70s! yes.gif (they were usually vinyl copies see...) You have to laugh... :ohmy:

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

This is really ironic, as we were chasing PIR/TSOP demos like crazy back in the 70s! yes.gif (they were usually vinyl copies see...) You have to laugh... :ohmy:

Why do you have to laugh. Explain a bit further?

You are obviously well informed, if a little full of self importance, a real name would probably help people understand your views better, as already a few wild guesses have been out there about your identity! Its nice to know who you are being mocked by.

Social source share

All three Carolyn Crawford releases on PIR were known (and loved!) at the time of release. "Just Got To Be More Careful" was a Blackpool Mecca spin when new and is something of a minor Mecca "anthem" (Levine spun it as such at the Mecca Millenium Allnighter) The other two PIR releases are "If You Move You Lose" with the old Ruby Andrews tune of "Good n' Plenty" as the official A-Side, and "It Takes Two To Make One". All three were regular releases, though with the latter side, mostly demos seem to turn up. I personally wouldn't describe "It Takes Two To Make One" as "funky" really - to me more like a bouncy, early 70's release, almost Northern in fact. Great lyrics! I think all three are TREMENDOUS records, all very different, but all highly recommended. I bought the Silk record as a new release too and went ape over it, only to find out later that they were non other than Anglo Saxon Brown featuring Deborah Henry, whom I had gone equally ga-ga over three years earlier! (She later performed a duet with Jerry Butler on one of his PIR albums, but I heard little else about her, despite writing to PIR for info in 1980!)

P.S. Have posted elsewhere that Carolyn herself informed me in 2000 of several tracks that remain unreleased! (She has them on tape) - Not only that, but at least two of those songs were included on the magnificent first Jean Carn album! No doubt in my mind then that Carolyn would probably have had an album issued had she stayed with the company...

Further to the original request (!), Kaleidoscope on TSOP seems to have been largely forgotton, Typical Philly. Also Sons Of Robin Stone had a release on EPIC in 1976. I also have a very obscure release (I think!) on TSOP somewhere, but will have to dig it out to even recall the title!

One of the Kaleidoscopes is an excellent record - they did more than one on TSOP, as I am sure you know.

Social source share

No, Levine thought that "If You Move, You Lose" had not been released, as he'd missed it, but he was mistaken. All three were actually issued.

He tried to sell me his copy and that's when he came out with the "it's very rare" comment.

Mentioning IL and this thread, we should of course mention Elliot Hoffman-dreadful, but surely one of the rarest on TSOP - it was one of the last gaps in my collection of that label.

Social source share

Away from 45's. The Philly Sound promo box set is hard to find. UK CBS/Philadelphia International release S PIR 63995. Each one came individually numbered, whole bunch of artist Biogs and photo's and a letter from Kenny and Leon.

Dave :ohmy:

Edited by malayka
Social source share

Guest mel brat

Why do you have to laugh. Explain a bit further?

You are obviously well informed, if a little full of self importance, a real name would probably help people understand your views better, as already a few wild guesses have been out there about your identity! Its nice to know who you are being mocked by.

Who's mocking you or anyone else? I'm simply saying that I and my friends were always chasing PIR demos in the 70's because they were on vinyl rather than styrene and considered more "desirable". Now it appears there are thousands of them around, whereas the issues are more sought after. Surely the joke's on ME? What's wrong with that statement? I'm sorry if my opinions come across as "arrogant" to you. However, as I no longer collect records and am not directly involved in the scene, my anecdotes and opinions tend to be PERSONAL (and often dated!) ones, rather than of wider general interest. I'm simply trying to put the record straight in most cases. No axe to grind. I try to get my facts as right as possible, for the benefit of younger folk who weren't there at the time, and when several contributors appear to be making similar mistaken guesses.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Who's mocking you or anyone else? I'm simply saying that I and my friends were always chasing PIR demos in the 70's because they were on vinyl rather than styrene and considered more "desirable". Now it appears there are thousands of them around, whereas the issues are more sought after. Surely the jokes on US? What's wrong with that statement? I'm sorry if my opinions come across as "arrogant" to you. However, as I no longer collect records and am not directly involved in the scene, my anecdotes and opinions tend to be PERSONAL (and often dated!) ones, rather than of wider general interest. I'm simply trying to put the record straight in most cases. No axe to grind. I try to get my facts as right as possible, for the benefit of younger folk who weren't there at the time.

Huge unresereved apologies.

I thought your laughing comments were directed at people chasing the Philly WD's now when you were chasing them in 70's, I didnt get the vinyl vs styrene part, dangers of always assuming the worst of people, so again I apologise.

Your views and anecdotes are great, thats why I was a little dissapointed when I thought you were mocking, my bad interpretation obviously. I love informed and correct anecdotes and views from the past so dont let my slight strop put you off.

Would still be good to put a name to virtual id though, as I said its easier to discuss.

Once again apologies

Cheers

Jock O'Connor

Edited by jocko
Social source share

Guest mel brat

One of the Kaleidoscopes is an excellent record - they did more than one on TSOP, as I am sure you know.

NO. I didn't actually! :) I have never collected Philly per se., just picked a few up along the way!

(Oo! - that rhymes! Jocko eat your heart out!) :(

P.S. I mean 'Jocko' the DJ/rapper on PIR - NOT Jocko above!

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

NO. I didn't actually! :lol: I have never collected Philly per se., just picked a few up along the way!

(Oo! - that rhymes! Jocko eat your heart out!) biggrin.gif

P.S. I mean 'Jocko' the DJ/rapper on PIR - NOT Jocko above!

Aww Mel, thought we had kissed and made up, dont tell me it was all one way :(:(

And actually since you mention it should say my user name is actually taken from the very dj/rapper you talk about.

For those not in the know there is a great Philly single by Jocko (was he not a famous Philly DJ) called Rythm Talk (I think), to the backing of McFadden and Whitehead Aint No Stopping Us Now he raps all over with the maddest lyrics you could imagine (seriously mad, would have to go over it again) think there is a 7" version and a different 12" version (which is very relevant if you listen to the lyrics).

In my early days of collecting I picked this up blind and due to my name it became my signature tune, especially the bit in the middle where he repeats something like Jocko Your The King, even had it on my answer machine for a while in my younger, more cocky days. Must go and dig it out.

Now has anyone seen a WD of this, would be great for framing for wall of record room, would probaly pay about £3.50 for that one!! :)

Cheers

Jock "Jocko" O'Connor

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!