Philly International - The Rare & The Good

Richard

Guest mel brat
Steve G said:
He tried to sell me his copy and that's when he came out with the "it's very rare" comment.

Mentioning IL and this thread, we should of course mention Elliot Hoffman-dreadful, but surely one of the rarest on TSOP - it was one of the last gaps in my collection of that label.

I based my assertion on the fact Levine played "If You Move You Lose" at a Mecca revival do, back in the early '90s which I attended. When he announced over mic that it "hadn't been issued" my mate and I exchanged puzzled looks! It doesn't really matter though, as all three came out as confirmed in 'Voices From The Shadows' in a later article. Just shows though, even Levine is wrong sometimes!

:)

Guess what that "rare TSOP" track is called that I couldn't recall earlier?? :( Yes, it's Elliot Hoffman! Actually I quite like it in it's way, which is why I still own it. Have heard far worse recordings (and on Philly too!) , Mine is a demo copy but I wondered what the B-side is like?

Social source share

• Replies 445
  • Views 30.3k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

mel brat said:

Hee hee - everytime young Mr Guarnori disses Elliot Hoffman on TSOP in public, i always jump in and defend him :(

This must be the third or fourth time in as many years!

I actually like the tune....................it's totally non-Philly which is why i think it puts folks off BUT i believe (IMHO) it has a certain charm :)

I think the fact Ian Levine stated it was a Modern Soul monster was the issue.....which it clearly is NOT!

Hope you're well Mr G :lol:biggrin.gif

Cheers

Steve

Social source share

Hi Garth, the ones in Berwick St came to England via Amsterdam. The dealer who bought them from the states told me they were bankrupt stock from a distributer in New Jersey. In all there were between 60 to 70 thousand and I got to go through them all..... twice! The secound time was a labour of love sorting them to be sold on. Thats why I know the Berwick St ones were those, the boxes had my writing on them. An awful lot of multi copies as you"d expect, I can remember 2/3000 copies of "I'll Always Love My Mama" and about the same of Billy Pauls "Let Em In".

A good range age wise tho from Billy Pauls "Am I Black Enough For You" through to Shirley Jones solo 45's.

Cheers Paul

Gareth/Paul I had heard about the Amsterdam find, a chap from EMS was supposed to get me list but never did. Didnt know about Berwick St, might be in London for a couple of days mid week and might go down for a scout, believe its quite good around there for LP's also at moment. Not been record hunting in London for a good few years now!!

Thanks for info both of you.

Cheers

Jock

Social source share

Recommend Trammps - where do we go from here, also Trusting heart - both on Golden Fleece. very cheap tunes

Lofty

Other side of Trusting Heart, (on UK PIR I have it) is Down Three Dark Streets and is fantastic deep soul, did this ever come out on US PIR, or only Golden Fleece?

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

...'Twas on Golden Fleece 3255.

Two fantastic Trammps sides, that were only issued in the US on the 'cash-in' "Disco Champs" album, are "Promise Me" and "Just Say The Word". The former - which did come out on a UK PIR flipside - is maybe just a smidge too fast for today's floors (but could be pitched down - 1 and work) but "Just Say the Word" is stupendous stuff.

In case you've ever wondered, there's an unreleased vocal to "Trammps Disco Theme". Tom Moulton once told me that Gamble and Huff specifically asked him to mix the multitrack tape as an instrumental due to its melodic similarity to "Penguin At the Big Apple", although he says that the vocal to TDT is not a remake of "Penguin"s vocal, "Zing! Went The Strings Of My Heart"...

While I'm here, another good - and hard to find - earlyish PIR release is Bunny Sigler's 1973 dancer "Heaven Knows I've Changed" (PIR 3536). Non-album, as far as I'm aware - and not released in the UK (I have it on a South African PIR, will try to remember to post it up at some point)...

TONE

Social source share

Hee hee - everytime young Mr Guarnori disses Elliot Hoffman on TSOP in public, i always jump in and defend him :boxing:

This must be the third or fourth time in as many years!

I actually like the tune....................it's totally non-Philly which is why i think it puts folks off BUT i believe (IMHO) it has a certain charm :yes:

I think the fact Ian Levine stated it was a Modern Soul monster was the issue.....which it clearly is NOT!

Hope you're well Mr G :D:D

Cheers

Steve

Well thanks Stevie and enjoying this thread thumbsup.gif

Social source share

Aww Mel, thought we had kissed and made up, dont tell me it was all one way
beer.gif:boxing:

And actually since you mention it should say my user name is actually taken from the very dj/rapper you talk about.

For those not in the know there is a great Philly single by Jocko (was he not a famous Philly DJ) called Rythm Talk (I think), to the backing of McFadden and Whitehead Aint No Stopping Us Now he raps all over with the maddest lyrics you could imagine (seriously mad, would have to go over it again) think there is a 7" version and a different 12" version (which is very relevant if you listen to the lyrics).

In my early days of collecting I picked this up blind and due to my name it became my signature tune, especially the bit in the middle where he repeats something like Jocko Your The King, even had it on my answer machine for a while in my younger, more cocky days. Must go and dig it out.

Now has anyone seen a WD of this, would be great for framing for wall of record room, would probaly pay about £3.50 for that one!!
:yes:

Cheers

Jock "Jocko" O'Connor
Oh eck I think I might have Jocko I'll have to have a look. Is one of the lines "Gucci made my boots"?

Cheeers Paul

Social source share

Guest the dukester

Recommend Trammps - where do we go from here, also Trusting heart - both on Golden Fleece. very cheap tunes

Lofty

ALSO......... I KNOW THAT FEELING - GOLDEN FLEECE.

Social source share

Hi Chris

This would be the KC Royals v Phila.

"The Philly fanatics are just as mean".....as well as the football one I mentioned yesterday (which has had a few spins from me over the years) there is also a basketball version...

Steve

Hey Steve, is that the "Philly Philles" (TSOP) version or is that ice hockey?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Oh eck I think I might have Jocko I'll have to have a look. Is one of the lines "Gucci made my boots"?

Cheeers Paul

Maybe it's "Simon Soussan made my 'boots'..." ?? :yes:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

For those not in the know there is a great Philly single by Jocko (was he not a famous Philly DJ) called Rythm Talk...

Cheers

Jock "Jocko" O'Connor

"Rhythm Talk" it was sure 'nuff. Incidently, I'm pretty certain I heard somebody play a track off the Jocko album not so very long ago, (though that could mean any time in the last 20 years in my little world!) Straight singing vocal I think, and it sounded nice enough! I'm sure Jordy would know, as it may have been him in fact (playing it, not singing on it! - though ya' never know the depth of his particular hidden talents...!) laugh.gif

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

I think the fact Ian Levine stated it was a Modern Soul monster was the issue...

Cheers

Steve

I WONDERED what the previous reference to Mr. Levine had to do with Elliot Hoffman, as I hadn't heard of IL's comments regarding the tune. (What IS the other side like though?)

Another of my faves on TSOP that I almost forgot to mention is the Soul Survivors "What It Takes" which I always felt sure would go down well on the dancefloor.

:wicked:

Love that Soul Survivors track for ages, very dancefloor friendly to I'd have thought. Who knows if "Party Time Man'' can do it?
rolleyes.gif

I'll check my Elliot Hoffman 45 for yah can't remember if its stereo/mono or what at the moment,..... or if my copy is a demo or not
:D

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Guest TONY ROUNCE

"Rhythm Talk" it was sure 'nuff. Incidently, I'm pretty certain I heard somebody play a track off the Jocko album not so very long ago, (though that could mean any time in the last 20 years in my little world!) Straight singing vocal I think, and it sounded nice enough! I'm sure Jordy would know, as it may have been him in fact (playing it, not singing on it! - though ya' never know the depth of his particular hidden talents...!) laugh.gif

You're right, he does sing on one side of his Wand single, but I can't remember whch side. That album, by the way, is a Various Artists album, although it's marketed under Jocko's name. I haven't seen a copy in years but I seem to recall that Jocko's only two tracks were the two that made up both sides of that very same Wand 45.

He did have another PIR release, before "Rhythm Talk", called "The Rocketship" - there was definitely a 12 inch promo of it, and probably a commercial one, too. Dunno if it was issued on a US PIR single, but an edited version also came out in various European territories and, I think, here also.

He was in his mid sixties when he made his PIR records, by the way!

TONE

Social source share

Great thread this. I would eat my left arm (I use the right one errrr....quite a lot) to hear the Trammps Disco Theme vocal. They're a seriously underated group in Soul circles imho.

Agree with The Soul Survivors 'What It Takes'..great record but maybe not strong enough for the dancefloors?

Has anyone mentioned the other side of the Ebonys 45 'I'm So Glad I'm Me'? Great Northernesque stomper.

Social source share

Great thread this. I would eat my left arm (I use the right one errrr....quite a lot) to hear the Trammps Disco Theme vocal. They're a seriously underated group in Soul circles imho.

Agree with The Soul Survivors 'What It Takes'..great record but maybe not strong enough for the dancefloors?

Has anyone mentioned the other side of the Ebonys 45 'I'm So Glad I'm Me'? Great Northernesque stomper.

Where've you been Mr White?!!! I mean 3 pages on Philly and this is your first post?
biggrin.gif

Cheers Paul

Social source share

Where've you been Mr White?!!! I mean 3 pages on Philly and this is your first post?
:wicked:

Cheers Paul

LOL Paul...been a busy week !

I like my Philly outside of the Philly International label too....great stuff on the label (s) of course but often it's the 'other' ones that interest me, with the same musicians and production sounds but on different labels.

That being said, Jean Carn 'No No You Can't Come Back Now' on PIR has to come up for a mention in this thread now.

thumbsup.gif

Oh, and another two on PIR I just thought of, bit left field but Leon Huff 'I Ain't Jivin', I'm Jammin' and Peoples Choice 'Asking For Trouble'

Social source share

LOL Paul...been a busy week !

I like my Philly outside of the Philly International label too....great stuff on the label (s) of course but often it's the 'other' ones that interest me, with the same musicians and production sounds but on different labels.

That being said, Jean Carn 'No No You Can't Come Back Now' on PIR has to come up for a mention in this thread now.

thumbsup.gif

Oh, and another two on PIR I just thought of, bit left field but Leon Huff 'I Ain't Jivin', I'm Jammin'

Is Jean Carn on 45?

How about Leon Huffs "Tight Money" (or is it "The Moneys Tight"?) as the "Wade In The Water" for the new millenium?
:D:wicked:

Social source share

Is Jean Carn on 45?

How about Leon Huffs "Tight Money" (or is it "The Moneys Tight"?) as the "Wade In The Water" for the new millenium?
:wicked:no.gif

Jean is on 45...don't know that Leon Huff tho.

Soul-Integrity...I've wondered about a vocal to 'Tom's Song' too....I bet there's one in the vaults somewhere. I really like 'Rubber Band' from the same batch.

Social source share

Living The Life - trammps - lp track

14172 refosoul

Simon White says they're an under-rated group in soul circles. I have to agree with tracks like this. Not rare, just good.

Social source share

Soul-Integrity said:
Baby Im Yours - force of nature - pir

One that i dont think been mentioned... Force Of Nature "baby im yours" got Jimmy bishop back wid kenny Gamble here!... and Richard... a sound clip for ya! thumbsup.gif

steve

Thats nice and have found a copy but just noticed its on another serial number of 4213. is 4213 a reissue/later or UK issue????

back_disco_anim.gif

Social source share

He did have another PIR release, before "Rhythm Talk", called "The Rocketship" - there was definitely a 12 inch promo of it, and probably a commercial one, too. Dunno if it was issued on a US PIR single, but an edited version also came out in various European territories and, I think, here also.

He was in his mid sixties when he made his PIR records, by the way!

TONE

i spend a lot of time in portugal and i remember a record im guessing round 84/5 there was this record similar to rhythm talk with the aint no stopping backing, never bought it and never heard it since, for sure it was euro only, cant remember anything more about it though unsure.gif

i think so far nobody has mentioned BOBBY BENNETT DAYS GO BY....

Social source share

Guest mel brat
Soul-Integrity said:

Touch My Life - dee dee sharp - tsop

With Dee Dee's mouth watering (for me) visit to Prestatyn comin up, thort Id stick this ace flip to her "Happy Bout The Whole Thing" 45 up.

steve

Yes, that's a superb record alright, as is the whole album. Love her to bits! thumbsup.gif:wicked:

Social source share

Guest mel brat

Jean is on 45...don't know that Leon Huff tho...

I have "Tight Money" on a UK promo only compilation that I won in a Blues & Soul competition way back when! (1980?) Pretty sure it came out on US 45 at least, though not sure about UK.

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Guest mel brat

I like my Philly outside of the Philly International label too....great stuff on the label (s) of course but often it's the 'other' ones that interest me, with the same musicians and production sounds but on different labels..

Loads of great Philly stuff. Philly Devotions anyone? - also Virtue studios (Prince Johnny Robinson), those numerous Philly productions on Salsoul label... Loleatta Holloway on Goldmind, just goes on and on! In 1975 Colin Curtis used to spin "Hit Man" (have forgotten name of group!) on Branding Iron, an obscure Philly group who later went on to become Ten Per Cent I believe! Have another single on Branding Iron also, by none other than Tommy Keith of All Platinum fame.

Have you all read Tony Cumming's book "The Philadelphia Story" ? Must dig it out...

Edited by mel brat
Social source share

Cheeers Paul

Thats the one, and the immortal chorus's of "My Baby's A Man" & "Jocko Jocko your the king"

Must dig it out, not sure I ever got the 12" so dont know if its significantly different.

Social source share

Nobody could ever take yor place - dee dee sharp gamble - philadelphia international

14192 refosoul Refosoul Rare and Northern Soul Clip library

OK cheating a bit, not a hard to find one, but stunning

Dave :lol:

Now thats anice tune-

Rarity- How about a 12"45 test press of "Where do you go when the party is over" Archie beel.

Another hard one is Anthony white Issue - of never repay your love which has the excellent "Never let you get away from me" Dont see it very often on 45!

Social source share

Anyone got any idea if the Trammps LP on Golden Fleece is worth picking up as well??

100% Richard ! :lol: I've always rated thier later and not - Philly- really Atlantic track 'Looking For You' too. But then I like anything they did.

Not sure if this counts as 'Rarer' (as per thread title) but The O'Jays '992 Arguments' is well worth a mention.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Source Advert