car insurance -is there such a thing?

Posted

all I want is car insurance from a firm that has a good reliable reputation, and does business in such a way that there is no need whatsoever for me to phone up every year when renewal comers round and haggle with them for a lower price

Just been through a hour of fun with my current insurance firm, a hour or so of 'on hold'  and telephone haggling to save me £70 odd quid on the next years new premium

is there a firm that avoids all this online haggling malarkey

just offers a low price both at first year and then the same low price at every renewal... ?

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 15
  • Views 856
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Check out lookaftermybills.com they appeared on dragons den a while back so we looked into them...They are now going into car/house insurance etc. Currently we have all our utilities with them and the

It's all done for you I don't need to do anything I get an e-mail from lookaftermybills saying we are moving you to this company and saving you £X you get a farewell email from the old company you wer

It seems to be a fact of life that insurers make money from 'inertia', people simply renewing year after year, despite the ease of using a comparison website. I've had instances in the past where I co

Posted (edited)

Check out lookaftermybills.com they appeared on dragons den a while back so we looked into them...They are now going into car/house insurance etc. Currently we have all our utilities with them and they have saved us a fortune ! When each contract comes to an end they search for the best deals for you then notify you via e-mail. It's a free service and all you have to do is register. If not for car insurance check them out anyway they have halved most of our energy bills ! No phone calls either I hasten to add they do the switching for you.

Edited by bitchdj
  • Thanks 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
19 minutes ago, bitchdj said:

Check out lookaftermybills.com they appeared on dragons den a while back so we looked into them...They are now going into car/house insurance etc. Currently we have all our utilities with them and they have saved us a fortune ! When each contract comes to an end they search for the best deals for you then notify you via e-mail. It's a free service and all you have to do is register. If not for car insurance check them out anyway they have halved most of our energy bills ! No phone calls either I hasten to add they do the switching for you.

thanks Cookie, useful, but you would still have to go through the cancelling and then the starting up yep?

am more after an insurance firm that just doesn't  either rip me off after the first year or go thru a hour of phone bartering fun

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Not sure who you are insured with but the last 2 years with direct line my yearly renewal has been cheaper than the previous and it's not because I have got more no claims bonus as I  have had full no claims for years and 2 years ago when someone hit my car and did a runner apart from my small excess it didn't affect my premiums or no claims.. I suppose that their are people out there who will have had a different experience with direct line but been ok for me 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 minutes ago, Greedy Mick said:

Not sure who you are insured with but the last 2 years with direct line my yearly renewal has been cheaper than the previous and it's not because I have got more no claims bonus as I  have had full no claims for years and 2 years ago when someone hit my car and did a runner apart from my small excess it didn't affect my premiums or no claims.. I suppose that their are people out there who will have had a different experience with direct line but been ok for me 

Mick. Similar experience with Lloyd's.  Gone down last three years so stuck with them. And very competitive prices.  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I'd recommend looking for a new policy every year; the discount is  to attract new customers who'll then plod along paying year after year .  They should tell you 30 days in advance of their intention to renew your policy, using the same card,  D.D. etc again, 'for your convenience' ha bloody ha. You should always look at the comparison   sites at least 21 days prior to when you want the new policy to start - you are seen not as a miser, but someone who's on top of their financial affairs and not gonna cancel during the cooling off period because you are skint!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I change every year..previous insurers always put price up..I do hardly any miles..ain't getting younger..most dont even ask when I cancel..last years wanted £40 more this year..check martin lewis website defo best to look 6-8 weeks before..takes hardly any time to sort..most contact each other so no need to send no claims proof

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I thought the discount for new users was now illegal, they can’t discriminate between new and old users?

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 hours ago, Simon T said:

I'd recommend looking for a new policy every year; the discount is  to attract new customers who'll then plod along paying year after year .  They should tell you 30 days in advance of their intention to renew your policy, using the same card,  D.D. etc again, 'for your convenience' ha bloody ha. You should always look at the comparison   sites at least 21 days prior to when you want the new policy to start - you are seen not as a miser, but someone who's on top of their financial affairs and not gonna cancel during the cooling off period because you are skint!

all backwards, I'm buying a product, they should be running around after me for my cash, not the other way around every year

I'd pay a few bucks extra to avoid all the 'on hold' and faux-haggling sessions

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Where did the contempt start for customer loyalty?

Totally alien to my training etc.

AA is a classic example, new customers get the best deal, existing customers only get the same if they threaten to leave etc.

Its rife.

Maybe its due to the apathy most humans show to most things, most of the time.

Elections spring to mind. 20% turnout when things are calm 70% when the world is going to end.....30% never vote..or change suppliers under any circumstances.

Ed

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
16 hours ago, Mike said:

thanks Cookie, useful, but you would still have to go through the cancelling and then the starting up yep?

am more after an insurance firm that just doesn't  either rip me off after the first year or go thru a hour of phone bartering fun

It's all done for you I don't need to do anything I get an e-mail from lookaftermybills saying we are moving you to this company and saving you £X you get a farewell email from the old company you were using and an email from the new company saying hi basically no messing about with setting up DD's or anything once you are registered it's all done for you.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
10 hours ago, Bitchdj said:

It's all done for you I don't need to do anything I get an e-mail from lookaftermybills saying we are moving you to this company and saving you £X you get a farewell email from the old company you were using and an email from the new company saying hi basically no messing about with setting up DD's or anything once you are registered it's all done for you.

ahh thats interesting and something to look deeper at

you said they may be doing the same for car insurance, hopefully soon

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

It seems to be a fact of life that insurers make money from 'inertia', people simply renewing year after year, despite the ease of using a comparison website. I've had instances in the past where I could buy the same policy cheaper via a comparison site than the renewal premium offered direct to me, shameful, these people do not seem to be interested in building customer loyalty.

This year I phoned my insurer to say I would not be renewing because they were £40 off the mark, they said they could not reduce the premium, but could offer me a £50 prepaid Mastercard! - what!

The whole industry needs some kind of regulation, or some standards/morals!

Tim.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just 'done the dance' with the RAC Insurance. I did 25% of the usual miles last year due to the Pandemic and the renewal quote was £100 more! Had a look round and rang them with the quotes from other companies.  Not interested, quite happy to ditch me rather than match any other quote. Needless to say I am now a customer of LV... until next year at least!

Dave  

soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Just changed Mrs B's from LV to Hastings. Slightly better cover and over £100 saved.

Used Go compare website.

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Insurance - House Contents Insurance To Cover Records
    All About The Soul by Premium Stuff on Wed 24 Dec 2008
    • 5 / 527