Switching energy suppliers and smart meters- any advice

Posted

Gas and electricity prices are going up in April so I thought I'd look at switching and maybe going "green". The ones I've look at are Bulb, Ecotricity and Ovo. The prices are not much different to other suppliers or my current one (SSE) . Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these companies or any other better recommendations.

I've been resisting having a smart meter fitted so far as I heard about problems with compatibility and accuracy. Also the companies make claims for them when basically they want to automate another worker's job and make more profit. Any advice or horror stories on smart meters. 

Rick

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 12
  • Views 343
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I've just switched to SO ENERGY through Money saving expert site. Trying to avoid having a Meter so only considered new energy providers who are generally behind the big boys in rolling them out.

MARTIN LEWIS [MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM] CHEAP ENERGY CLUB YOU LOG YOUR USAGE ETC. & THEY SHOW ALL DEALS AVAILABLE, CHEAPEST/CUSTOMER SERVICE ETC/GREEN ENERGY YOU ARE CONTACTED WHENEVER A BE

I have an account  with Bulb for electricity,   I have no problems with but no smart meter.  I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas on 30.12.20 on the 28.3.21 it stop sending  readings to read

Posted
1 hour ago, Rick Cooper said:

Gas and electricity prices are going up in April so I thought I'd look at switching and maybe going "green". The ones I've look at are Bulb, Ecotricity and Ovo. The prices are not much different to other suppliers or my current one (SSE) . Has anyone had any good or bad experiences with these companies or any other better recommendations.

I've been resisting having a smart meter fitted so far as I heard about problems with compatibility and accuracy. Also the companies make claims for them when basically they want to automate another worker's job and make more profit. Any advice or horror stories on smart meters. 

Rick

I have an account  with Bulb for electricity,   I have no problems with but no smart meter. 

I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas on 30.12.20 on the 28.3.21 it stop sending  readings to readings British Gas and has not done since despite several webchats and 1 phone call .

I get the impression I am just been fobbed off with excuses , along the lines we will fix it remotely within 7 to 10 days .

I wish I never agreed to go down the smart route the meters seem as dumb as the customer service agents employed by British Gas. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

MARTIN LEWIS [MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM] CHEAP ENERGY CLUB

YOU LOG YOUR USAGE ETC. & THEY SHOW ALL DEALS AVAILABLE, CHEAPEST/CUSTOMER SERVICE ETC/GREEN ENERGY

YOU ARE CONTACTED WHENEVER A BETTER DEAL IS AVAILABLE

CAN'T RECOMMEND ANYTHING BETTER.......BEEN USIN THEM FOR YEARS

2 YEARS AGO I SWITCHED TO AVRO ENERGY & FOUND THEM EXELLENT-YOU ENTER METER READINGS

MONTHLY & HAVE THE OPTION TO MAKE ONE-OFF PAYMENTS SO YOU DON'T FALL BEHIND WITH D/DEBITS

AFTER THE FIRST YEAR I WAS OFFERED ANOTHER YEARS DEAL WHICH WAS ACTUALLY CHEAPER !!!

AS FOR SMART METERS I WOUDN'T TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE

I AIN'T THAT SMART BUT KNOW WHEN I'M USING MORE POWER/FUEL I PAY MORE

THAT LEWIS GEEZER IS ON OUR SIDE-GIVE IT A TRY

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I was with British Gas had a smart meter but changed through look after my bills but most smart meters won’t transfer, but I wasn’t bothered as they are waste of time as they only show you what you are using but you can’t change that if having a drink kettles on cooking dinner do you want it hot. The only  way you can save is changing your methods led lights more efficient boiler, increasing efficiency of your property. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, Shinehead said:

I have an account  with Bulb for electricity,   I have no problems with but no smart meter. 

I had a smart meter fitted by British Gas on 30.12.20 on the 28.3.21 it stop sending  readings to readings British Gas and has not done since despite several webchats and 1 phone call .

I get the impression I am just been fobbed off with excuses , along the lines we will fix it remotely within 7 to 10 days .

I wish I never agreed to go down the smart route the meters seem as dumb as the customer service agents employed by British Gas. 

That's what I'd heard about smart meters, but the companies seem intent on pushing them. Hopefully Bulb will be better than British Gas.

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
1 hour ago, 25miles said:

MARTIN LEWIS [MONEYSAVINGEXPERT.COM] CHEAP ENERGY CLUB

YOU LOG YOUR USAGE ETC. & THEY SHOW ALL DEALS AVAILABLE, CHEAPEST/CUSTOMER SERVICE ETC/GREEN ENERGY

YOU ARE CONTACTED WHENEVER A BETTER DEAL IS AVAILABLE

CAN'T RECOMMEND ANYTHING BETTER.......BEEN USIN THEM FOR YEARS

2 YEARS AGO I SWITCHED TO AVRO ENERGY & FOUND THEM EXELLENT-YOU ENTER METER READINGS

MONTHLY & HAVE THE OPTION TO MAKE ONE-OFF PAYMENTS SO YOU DON'T FALL BEHIND WITH D/DEBITS

AFTER THE FIRST YEAR I WAS OFFERED ANOTHER YEARS DEAL WHICH WAS ACTUALLY CHEAPER !!!

AS FOR SMART METERS I WOUDN'T TOUCH WITH A BARGEPOLE

I AIN'T THAT SMART BUT KNOW WHEN I'M USING MORE POWER/FUEL I PAY MORE

THAT LEWIS GEEZER IS ON OUR SIDE-GIVE IT A TRY

I've not heard of Avro so I'll have a look at them. Martin Lewis always comes across as a good guy , but I'm not sure about some of the other price comparison sites.

I'd agree with you on Smart meters, not smart for users. 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
8 minutes ago, Rick Cooper said:

That's what I'd heard about smart meters, but the companies seem intent on pushing them. Hopefully Bulb will be better than British Gas.

I do not think so Rick numerous Bulb customers on their community page complaining about the same problem with their smart meters. 

Changing suppliers is a no brainer , stupid not to but I would give smart meters a big miss if my experience is anything to go by .

• Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I would also add that when the smart meter goes wrong I get the impression that fixing the problem is not that easy.

Smart they ain't it seems.

Edited by Shinehead
  • Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

have ya tried moving it around

mine needs to be in a certain place for it to work/transmit reliably

basically directly above the actual  meter

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
7 minutes ago, Mike said:

have ya tried moving it around

mine needs to be in a certain place for it to work/transmit reliably

basically directly above the actual  meter

It is the smart meter not sending readings to British Gas that is the problem, unless it is fixed I will have to send meter readings in for my next bill .

The agent I spoke to in the screenshot above stated that they have not received readings since 28.2.21, the monitor is only giving data when the smart meter is working properly. 

It is the meter that send readings to British Gas not the monitor.

Edited by Shinehead
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
3 minutes ago, Shinehead said:

It is the smart meter not sending readings to British Gas that is the problem, unless it is fixed I will have to send meter readings in for my next bill .

The agent I spoke to in the screenshot above stated that they have not received readings since 28.2.21, the monitor is only giving data when the smart meter is working properly. 

It is the meter that send readings to British Gas not the monitor.

no worries

just some off the cuff advice

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I've just switched to SO ENERGY through Money saving expert site. Trying to avoid having a Meter so only considered new energy providers who are generally behind the big boys in rolling them out.

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
14 hours ago, Rick Cooper said:

I've not heard of Avro so I'll have a look at them. Martin Lewis always comes across as a good guy , but I'm not sure about some of the other price comparison sites.

I'd agree with you on Smart meters, not smart for users. 

martin is one of us

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. Us Record Suppliers
    All About The Soul by savisure on Tue 07 Apr 2015