Soul Fan Seeks R&b Info

Headsy

despite thinking most R&B is glorified rock and roll I do like the term hardsoul which is what I always use to define when I buy what is really an R&B record........ whistling.gif ........so have come across the following,

Denna Johnson and Ricky Davis on SIMPSON records white demo...called ''who me ? yeah you!''

now I know absolutely nowt about R&B as I just dont go to the dos and if its a mixed venue and they play some I go off and make a nuisance of myself ( ask jamie ) so, is this well known ? is it worth owt ? and at a push I would dance to it ( subject usual factors :yes::(:( know what I mean )

anybody help with info as if known,overplayed,worth owt etc etc, the impression I get from talking to a few R&B fans is that the records on the R&B scene are still turning up and while northern and crossover are known by loads of people ,you can still turn up the odd unknown or obscure one thats not known by that many.

that said I bet this is an obvious/well known one but thought I would ask, niceish mid -uptempo flip mind that could get played in the northern rooms ''theres gonna be a showdown'' not the Archie Bell of course.

cheers

Social source share

• Replies 8
  • Views 1.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

that said I bet this is an obvious/well known one but thought I would ask, niceish mid -uptempo flip mind that could get played in the northern rooms ''theres gonna be a showdown'' not the Archie Bell of course.

cheers

Great record this one, not often heard out, if ever...has anyone the balls to play it????

Edited by chalky
Social source share

despite thinking most R&B is glorified rock and roll I do like the term hardsoul which is what I always use to define when I buy what is really an R&B record........ laugh.gif ........so have come across the following,

Denna Johnson and Ricky Davis on SIMPSON records white demo...called ''who me ? yeah you!''

now I know absolutely nowt about R&B as I just dont go to the dos and if its a mixed venue and they play some I go off and make a nuisance of myself ( ask jamie ) so, is this well known ? is it worth owt ? and at a push I would dance to it ( subject usual factors  :(   :(   :D   know what I mean )

anybody help with info as if known,overplayed,worth owt etc etc, the impression I get from talking to a few R&B fans is that the records on the R&B scene are still turning up and while northern and crossover are known by loads of people ,you can still turn up the odd unknown or obscure one thats not known by that many.

that said I bet this is an obvious/well known one but thought I would ask, niceish mid -uptempo flip mind that could get played in the northern rooms ''theres gonna be a showdown''  not the Archie Bell of course.

cheers

link

I remember giving this a few spins at These Old Shoes maybe five years back (not that I'm making any sort of claim on it :yes: ) It's an OK R&B dancer IMO, not expensive at maybe 10- 15 quid. I would imagine it's probably had some spins on the mod scene from the 80's onwards though I doubt if it's ever been 'big' or if it ever would be (not rare enough for starters :( ). Well worth a go though, and a refreshing change to many of the more hammered to death tunes (northern or R& cool.gif .

Martin

Social source share

Great record this one, not often heard out, if ever...has anyone the balls to play it????

link

If you are Talking Who me,Yeah you then I played it at Soulsville.

Social source share

he's talkimg about the flip Karen,do you like the flip ? any price idea or is it a cheapy ?

cheers

link

Yes I do like the flip, the tempo is slightly too slow for me though and I prefer the a side.

It is indeed a cheapy, I paid £3.50 for my copy off ebay laugh.gif

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!