News: MD Records - Two Upcoming 45 Releases - Video Interview

It was Shifty I heard first play this at 100 Club in the 90's. He moved his (battered copy) on to Mich H as part of a larger deal. I had a CD of it that we had recorded at a friends house at a pre 100 Club session where Shifty had it covered and played it for us.

Mick wasn't playing it out, I always requested it, but it never got played unfortunately. I also regularly offered to buy it.

Years later (around 2006/7) I cut an acetate from the CD and used to play it out regularly at DDA, Soul or Nothing, Rugby and other venues. I had no idea who it was by and played it as Deep South by Deep South. It's on my Mixcloud from back then. Just as Shifty had done, I played it at a considerable minus speed.

When Dave Thorley turned up a 'real' one quite a while ago and told me who it was by, I stopped playing mine out (still have it)

Brilliant detective work getting this out on a release where the artist get paid. Well done to all.

• Thanks 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Paul-s said:

It was Shifty I heard first play this at 100 Club in the 90's. He moved his (battered copy) on to Mich H as part of a larger deal. I had a CD of it that we had recorded at a friends house at a pre 100 Club session where Shifty had it covered and played it for us.

Mick wasn't playing it out, I always requested it, but it never got played unfortunately. I also regularly offered to buy it.

Years later (around 2006/7) I cut an acetate from the CD and used to play it out regularly at DDA, Soul or Nothing, Rugby and other venues. I had no idea who it was by and played it as Deep South by Deep South. It's on my Mixcloud from back then. Just as Shifty had done, I played it at a considerable minus speed.

When Dave Thorley turned up a 'real' one quite a while ago and told me who it was by, I stopped playing mine out (still have it)

Brilliant detective work getting this out on a release where the artist get paid. Well done to all.

Shifty had it covered as Royston Vasey....after League of Gentlemen or Chubby Brown?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!