Earl White Jr 'Very Special Girl' -withdrawn reissue.

Joesoap

This got reissued on Soul Brother last year then apparently withdrawn. Sales also blocked on Discogs.

Assume with it being an established reissue label they put it out believing they had the licensing, etc then withdrew owing to some kind of mix up or dispute over that?

What's the story here then?

And assuming my guesswork is correct how do we categorise releases like that - (ie not put out as a bootleg but withdrawn for copyright / legal reasons)?

image.thumb.png.ef7cc65c5237764f9311b00c26299192.png

Edited by Joesoap
typo
Social source share

20 minutes ago, Joesoap said:

This got reissued on Soul Brother last year then apparently withdrawn. Sales also blocked on Discogs.

Assume with it being an established reissue label they put it out believing they had the licensing, etc then withdrew owing to some kind of mix up or dispute over that?

What's the story here then?

And assuming my guesswork is correct how do we categorise releases like that - (ie not put out as a bootleg but withdrawn for copyright / legal reasons)?

image.thumb.png.ef7cc65c5237764f9311b00c26299192.png

This what Discogs said about The Soul Brother (I checked in the history)

"Release has been blocked from the Marketplace as a result of a legal notice received by Discogs from the rights holder. Ref. #333552"

There also are/were look-a-like counterfeit copies of the original release being sold for a lot of money as genuine originals[which they are not].The printing on the song title isn't quite right,[the C in "Special" and G in "Girl" are slightly larger than the other lettering]…….Spotted on ebay 7/2/16. Seller claiming to be from Osaka, Japan but actually based in France.

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This what Discogs said about The Soul Brother (I checked in the history)

"Release has been blocked from the Marketplace as a result of a legal notice received by Discogs from the rights holder. Ref. #333552"

where was that said?

I can't see it, can you provide a link?

There also are/were look-a-like counterfeit copies of the original release being sold for a lot of money as genuine originals[which they are not].The printing on the song title isn't quite right,[the C in "Special" and G in "Girl" are slightly larger than the other lettering]…….Spotted on ebay 7/2/16. Seller claiming to be from Osaka, Japan but actually based in France.

the above is a discogs members comment right? not actually 'what discogs said' yep?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If you click on 'Edit Release' at the top right of the page you can view the comment about the Soul Brother release from a Discogs staff member there.

The counterfeit doesn't have a listing on there...

image.thumb.png.442396fb3f052947bfb87ccb531dfeed.png

Edited by Joesoap
Social source share

57 minutes ago, Mike said:

great stuff, most helpful - thanks 👍

Sorry Mike you have to be a member of Discogs to see what was said by staff

I will try and find out from them what #333552 means and who did what and when (but I am guessing they will withhold that info as the whole world is going far to PC when it comes to these things)

A similar thing with David Ruffin and Joe Simon is here

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Sorry Mike you have to be a member of Discogs to see what was said by staff

I will try and find out from them what #333552 means and who did what and when (but I am guessing they will withhold that info as the whole world is going far to PC when it comes to these things)

Joesoaps reply sorted my request out, was wondering where you got that info from, I know now

no need for you to do anything further apart from make your posts clearer in future 

thanks

Social source share

I remember that eBay listing for the fake copies of Earl White Jr, also listed at the same time were fake promo copies of Innersection. The seller was a guy from France who made out he was based in Japan.

Here's the old link - 

Social source share

2 hours ago, Kjw said:

I remember that eBay listing for the fake copies of Earl White Jr, also listed at the same time were fake promo copies of Innersection. The seller was a guy from France who made out he was based in Japan.

Here's the old link - 

Hope the French seller on Discogs is not the same person

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!