News: All My Life - The Songs Of Manny Campbell - Brewerytown Records

Posted
News/Article/Feature Highlight:

All songs mixed and mastered from the original 16 track multi's - except Carolynn Porter, remastered from the original 1/4 mix-down tapes.
All Songs Licensed from Emandolynn Music Co and used with permission. Copyright

View full article

soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 7
  • Views 320
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Vinyl is coming, along with a series of 45's - I'm just impatient and can't wait for 5-6 months times for the vinyl. I agree - Such a special tune

The Carolynn Porter tracks / session were done in 1968 as you can see by the take sheet.. The Porter stuff only exists on 1/4inch mix-down tapes (as far as we know) The Delights tune was the first cut

The New Establishment came first.. a company in NY via a local connection licensed the song from Manny and I think there was some sort of name infringement that lead to the band changing it for the ne

Posted
30 minutes ago, soulwolf said:

Sounds good are there any plans to release on vinyl or is the  lp download only?

Vinyl is coming, along with a series of 45's - I'm just impatient and can't wait for 5-6 months times for the vinyl.

1 hour ago, Paul-s said:

Well done. The Delights track is superb.

I agree - Such a special tune

• Up vote 4
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I used to have a studio acetate of the Carolyn Porter track 'I Want You'..can't remember which studio at the mo but west coast.. certain it went to tim Brown.. the backing track on the Delights very similar to her unissued 45/acetate so probably same musicians but be nice to learn if the same session ?? Interesting..

Edited by Ficklefingers
addition of track title
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 24/03/2021 at 17:48, Ficklefingers said:

I used to have a studio acetate of the Carolyn Porter track 'I Want You'..can't remember which studio at the mo but west coast.. certain it went to tim Brown.. the backing track on the Delights very similar to her unissued 45/acetate so probably same musicians but be nice to learn if the same session ?? Interesting..

The Carolynn Porter tracks / session were done in 1968 as you can see by the take sheet.. The Porter stuff only exists on 1/4inch mix-down tapes (as far as we know) The Delights tune was the first cut on the 16 track multi's - so my thoughts are that the rhythm tracks for this song in particular were transferred to another tape 2 years later.. However the members of the backing band stayed the same.  Baker, Harris, Young (and Eli on some occasions). It is unmistakably Earl Young on drums throughout this entire session, and Tom Moulton has said there is no doubt that it is Norman Harris & Ronnie Baker - This is also Don Renaldo's string section, and interestingly enough, every song had a "dry" run-through with just the rhythm section before Don Renaldo and Co joined in.  Hence the alternate takes on some of the tunes. 

PORTER.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
14 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Do we know which came first The New Establishment or The Randalls and why the name change ?

The New Establishment came first.. a company in NY via a local connection licensed the song from Manny and I think there was some sort of name infringement that lead to the band changing it for the new release.

2 minutes ago, BrewerytownBeats said:

Edited by BrewerytownBeats
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!