JMAuction - 24/03/2021 - Results!

That four perfections is a record that when I've not heard it for a while, its brilliant again and again, but heard for a third or forth time in quick succession is boring! Love to own it though. Surely the price is inflated these days?

Also when did the cliff nobles start getting big? Can't remember it in the 70s or 80s, but it must have been known about.

Ed

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Thank you for sharing as always 😊.  

Marvin Gaye is a fair price for a tough one especially with the picture sleeve.  Considering there was ( allegedly) 600 pressed to go with the 600 unrealised Marvin tracks found in the vaults

Cliff  Nobles.  Come on who has bought this at this price. OMG It was a soul pack record 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Tomangoes said:

That four perfections is a record that when I've not heard it for a while, its brilliant again and again, but heard for a third or forth time in quick succession is boring! Love to own it though. Surely the price is inflated these days?

Also when did the cliff nobles start getting big? Can't remember it in the 70s or 80s, but it must have been known about.

Ed

Four Perfections has crept past £600 and £700 in recent years. Cliff Nobles is a more recent spin, probably overlooked in the 70’s due to the artist being well known on a common label.

Social source share

18 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Marvin Gaye is a fair price for a tough one especially with the picture sleeve.  Considering there was ( allegedly) 600 pressed to go with the 600 unrealised Marvin tracks found in the vaults

Cliff  Nobles.  Come on who has bought this at this price. OMG It was a soul pack record 

Can anyone confirm how many copies of Marvin Gaye were pressed? I read 200 somewhere but not sure. I thought all copies were in a picture sleeve but I guess some may have been discarded by DJ’s filing in white card sleeves.

Cliff Nobles is a tough record to find these days and is a great sound too. You won’t find too many in soul packs today, or thrown off the stage at Allnighter anniversaries...

• Up vote 1
Social source share

39 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

If Cliff Nobles is fetching that amount on atlantic,what price for the J-V first label press?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Can anyone confirm how many copies of Marvin Gaye were pressed? I read 200 somewhere but not sure. I thought all copies were in a picture sleeve but I guess some may have been discarded by DJ’s filing in white card sleeves.

Cliff Nobles is a tough record to find these days and is a great sound too. You won’t find too many in soul packs today, or thrown off the stage at Allnighter anniversaries...

When I bought my Marvin Gaye.  Its killing me .( love starved heart ,) I lost the picture sleeve somewhere because I  filed my copy  in a white cardboard sleeve for DJ purposes as you mention Frankie. 

It would be interesting to find out how many actually got released you mention 200 , I thought 600 . Possibly somewhere in-between.  Who knows  ? 

Ste

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

When I bought my Marvin Gaye.  Its killing me .( love starved heart ,) I lost the picture sleeve somewhere because I  filed my copy  in a white cardboard sleeve for DJ purposes as you mention Frankie. 

It would be interesting to find out how many actually got released you mention 200 , I thought 600 . Possibly somewhere in-between.  Who knows  ? 

Ste

There was far more than 200 pressed. They were given away at a launch party for the CD set The Master if memory serves.  Many were discarded, thrown on the floor.  I know one who went round picking copies up.  All had picture sleeves to begin with. 

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Wheelsville1 said:

If Cliff Nobles is fetching that amount on atlantic,what price for the J-V first label press?

I had a JV copy once for £3. The JV label looks very dull and unattractive. A mucky dark green and black!

Either label, I think it's a great solid Northern Soul classic!

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Wheelsville1 said:

If Cliff Nobles is fetching that amount on atlantic ,what price for the J-V first label press?

In the 90's they both went for the same sort of money £20 - £30 (if my memory serves me correctly)

Edited by Martyn Pitt
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

13 hours ago, Chalky said:

There was far more than 200 pressed. They were given away at a launch party for the CD set The Master if memory serves.  Many were discarded, thrown on the floor.  I know one who went round picking copies up.  All had picture sleeves to begin with. 

Yes Chalky, that is the story I know of also.
All the peeps at the launch just discarded them - left all over the place.
AND someone (or more) did go around hoovering them up - good on them !
I first saw it on a Mick Smith list for £70 when they reached our shores (he had a few).
I had never heard it and was an avid UK Motown R/W demo collector at the time.
He said buy it, you will not be disappointed - so I did and I wasn't.

Nobody ever mentions the flip side - Desperate Situation.
Think this is great - in its own right.

Best,    Tom.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

14 hours ago, Chalky said:

I did say 600 copies to go with the 600 unreleased tracks in the vaults and was released with the iconic two globes design label choice for the promotion , harking back to the 60,s label

Social source share

6 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

I did say 600 copies to go with the 600 unreleased tracks in the vaults and was released with the iconic two globes design label choice for the promotion , harking back to the 60,s label

Not sure about the 600 unreleased in the vaults notion, probably many more than that

Social source share

44 minutes ago, Chalky said:

Not sure about the 600 unreleased in the vaults notion, probably many more than that

Karl.  There was supposed be 630 I think the number was quoted as unreleased Marvin Gaye tracks that where found in the vaults   no other artists where mentioned mate. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Weingarden said:

There are two original issues of "Oh Lover" with different flips. The one with "Acting Up" (the one you have, presumably) is much rarer.

Many thanks for info, yes, mine has "Acting Up" on the other side. Wonder if the repro had something to do with the Doowop guys.

Social source share

2 hours ago, Weingarden said:

Geoff, I'm not aware of the repro. Which sides are on it?

2 hours ago, Weingarden said:

Geoff, I'm not aware of the repro. Which sides are on it?

Don't know myself. It was Mr Manship that mentions a repro in his auction listing, as above.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!