Tempo Rhythm - Candy

Mal C

Hi folks, I come across this track on my i-Tunes every so often, I really really like it, but I cannot find anything about the group other than they were mentioned on an Excello release by Mildred Woodard And The Tempo Rhythms - Don't Let Anybody Know, which is a tough R&B 45...both in price and quality...

Anyhow, I cant find the CD that I imported Candy from, think it was the 'Ref-o-Ree story' or something; is this this an unreleased track cause its not listed on the web in any form as far as I can see...

Love to know more

Mal

Edited by Mal C
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

6 hours ago, Mal C said:

Unreleased, well that explains it, cheers for that.  That said for such a great track, there is bugger all discussion on the web... do you think Maybe the Tempo Rhythms were a house band of sorts?

M

6 hours ago, The Yank said:

They probably were-I can't find any info on the group.  They also backed Rubin Russell on this release - 

RR.jpeg

Seems they might have been the Ref-O-Ree house band as you first said

The Poncello story is merely one chapter in the bigger picture that is Ted Jarrett’s extraordinary career as a mover and shaker in Tennessee R&B. Poncello was founded by Jarrett in 1960, after he had started out as a staff producer with Nashville’s Republic label in the early 50s. Subsequently, Jarrett found success both as a songwriter and producer at the Champion and Cherokee imprints in the late 50s and later enjoyed considerable success when the Stones covered his You Can Make It If You Try.

From the outset, Poncello was conceived as something considerably more ambitious. With a house sound that featured horns, strings and expanded rhythm sections, its artist roster included Earl Gaines (whom Jarrett had brought with him from Champion), Gene Allison, his brother Levert, and Herbert Hunter (both of whom allegedly got their breaks standing in for Gene when he was too drunk to perform). Various artistsH Along with its Valdot and Spar imprints, Poncello was pretty much the archetypal 60s independent soul label. However, come 1967 Jarrett wound the label up with the funkier sound of tracks from the Tempo Rhythms, anticipating the template of his next label, Ref-O-Ree. 

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

I guess Ady Croasdell might know more having done that deal with Ted Jarrett or his estate. Be good to know if can add anything, think they have a man out there on the west coast Alec Palao? perhaps he was the guy..

anyhow, it's a fab track, and a favourite group of labels for sure :-)

• Thanks 1
Social source share

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/04/2021 at 10:25, Mal C said:

I guess Ady Croasdell might know more having done that deal with Ted Jarrett or his estate. Be good to know if can add anything, think they have a man out there on the west coast Alec Palao? perhaps he was the guy..

anyhow, it's a fab track, and a favourite group of labels for sure 🙂

I think whatever I knew about them was in the notes; probably nothing. I’m glad you all like it as well 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!