News: Northern Soul Top 500 Book Re-Vamp - News

5 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Were there only two previous versions? I've got the original and I know there was "the definitive" version some years later with different order and some changes.

I have three editions. They came out over a short period of time. I’ve never compared them against each other, side by side: they differ in various ways though. Every now and again, I thumb through one or another just to jog the memory or add a title to the ‘wants list’. They are really fine books, nicely presented with good graphics. I look forward to the forthcoming edition in the hope it features some of the latest discoveries that have received dance floor acclaim up and down the country, not just in the North.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Personally, for me, the best thing is number 51, Alexander Patton.

When I DJed at Prestwich with Alexander on the bill, he said, and I quote " you're the guy in the book?" yes, that's me.

Still got the UK Capitol RW demo. It's been my all time favourite since '67 ( it was deleted on Capitol 66 series when I first heard it)

Thanks Kev.

Julian

• Up vote 3
Social source share

52 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

I have three editions. They came out over a short period of time. I’ve never compared them against each other, side by side: they differ in various ways though. Every now and again, I thumb through one or another just to jog the memory or add a title to the ‘wants list’. They are really fine books, nicely presented with good graphics. I look forward to the forthcoming edition in the hope it features some of the latest discoveries that have received dance floor acclaim up and down the country, not just in the North.

Looking on Amazon I see there's a "Special Edition" and the "Definitive" one is the 4th revised edition. They seem to go for a lot as well. I've got the black and white one but still a great book.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Timillustrator said:

Looking on Amazon I see there's a "Special Edition" and the "Definitive" one is the 4th revised edition. They seem to go for a lot as well. I've got the black and white one but still a great book.

Hi Tim. I’ve fallen a bit behind then. I’ll check them out on Amazon later, thanks. By coincidence, I just ordered a book from Amazon 10 minutes ago after steering clear of them for two years after they charged me for Prime which I did not want.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

45 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Hi Tim. I’ve fallen a bit behind then. I’ll check them out on Amazon later, thanks. By coincidence, I just ordered a book from Amazon 10 minutes ago after steering clear of them for two years after they charged me for Prime which I did not want.

With you there I avoid them at all costs usually, after they delivered something to the wrong address and refused to refund me, insisting someone had signed for it who I had never heard of.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

4 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

It's a great record of which I have four different copies but I guess overplayed in some venues.

...and TV adverts with BBC currently using an instrumental version to plug itself. I’ve got the Eddie Foster boot, the UK reissue and purple vinyl test press so admit to liking it a little. It certainly was great back in the heyday, and is worthy of its place in folklore.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I think there will always be a Top 50 that most of us agree on. It’s the other 450 that’s subjective. 
Strange how tastes have changed though in the last couple of decades, even as the researcher, I do find it heartbreaking that The Sweet Things on Date barely has a pulse, yet Manny Cochado’s Pow Wow has risen prominently. 
But again, it is about popularity en masse. 
Still, I have broadened the church so at least the Top 20 fan will be reading about the origins of Acetates, Cover ups, New releases and the like. A good few experts are helping with the sub scenes. 👍

• Up vote 2
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

On 29/03/2021 at 23:48, Modernsoulsucks said:

It's a great record of which I have four different copies but I guess overplayed in some venues.

"Do I Love You" was fantastic in Wigan, when it was first played as Eddie Foster.  But I have heard it too many times now.  It needs a rest for a while.

I prefer Chris Clarks version of it these days. 

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Sam is a really nice bloke, I met him properly at an event in Wrexham where I was drinking whisk , playing soul 45s at this particular night 20 years ago.

We shared a drink, I think he had orange 

I realised straight away that he is a lovely man .

Really lovely company

Social source share

I really liked the Top 500 book.  It is a book about the records and Northern Soul scene which is what I am interested in.   

I know that things slip through the net, but the most startling omission from the book was "Black Eyed Girl" by Billy Thompson. Hopefully this can be put right in the new book!

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

8 minutes ago, Halogen said:

I really liked the Top 500 book.  It is a book about the records and Northern Soul scene which is what I am interested in. I'm not really bothered about books about the life story of an artist or when he died etc!

I know that things slip through the net, but the most startling omission from the book was "Black Eyed Girl" by Billy Thompson. Hopefully this can be put right in the new book!

As much as I actually like Billy Thompson ( I was the proud owner of a Wand demo ) I'm not sure it was a big enough record to be a original top 500 tune.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

When I first got into NS, like many others it was the catchy stuff like Out on the Floor and the Flasher. Then somebody bought me that solid soul sensations LP, and I'm like wow! This stuff is incredible.

They were obviously oldies by 76 and you would never hear them played out for years and year unless in Mr Ms and such nights.

Scepter Wand produced some absolute belters for sure.

It will be interesting to see how many top 500 of 20 years ago compared to today!

Ed

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!