WALLY COX,THIS MAN

• Replies 17
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

1 hour ago, Stephen Houghton said:

Hi all I'm just after some info on this tune by wally cox .its on wand but one lot of writing is red on some ,and just black on others ,why is this and what price difference is there .any help appreciated 

Like Tomangoes say's, and on most Wands, the demo has black print and  issue has red print!

Social source share

On 03/04/2021 at 12:54, The Yank said:

I'll let you be the judge- 

I didn't know that Wally was a C&W yodeling cowboy singer!  I had seen that RCA record hundreds of times back in the 1950s, but never had the guts to listen to it, and I never heard it played on the pop stations, back in Winnipeg.  Once we got to Chicago, I never heard it, even though it might have been played, sporadically, as an "Oldie", on the Pop stations, - or, more likely, on the Hillbilly C&W stations.  But. I didn't have any Hillbilly friends.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

10 hours ago, The Yank said:

I never heard it until a few minutes before I posted it- it's different ! 

Somehow, Wally managed to make Billboard's "Winners Destined For Headlines in 1954" list! This probably had more to do with "Mr. Peepers" than his 45 - 

Wally.jpg

Not a bad prediction though.

Frank Sinatra, Liberace, Harry Belefonte, Jackie Gleason, Eddie Fisher, Eartha Kitt, Victor Borge, all became stars. Even Champion (presumably "The Wonder Horse") is in there.

Social source share

21 hours ago, Robbk said:

I didn't know that Wally was a C&W yodeling cowboy singer!  I had seen that RCA record hundreds of times back in the 1950s, but never had the guts to listen to it, and I never heard it played on the pop stations, back in Winnipeg.  Once we got to Chicago, I never heard it, even though it might have been played, sporadically, as an "Oldie", on the Pop stations, - or, more likely, on the Hillbilly C&W stations.  But. I didn't have any Hillbilly friends.

If you had heard it Rob you wouldn't have bought it

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

5 hours ago, Mick Holdsworth said:

Even Champion (presumably "The Wonder Horse") is in there.

Billboard is referring to Marge and Gower Champion the dance duo who were in quite a few 50's Hollywood musicals. There's some videos on you tube where you can see them in action 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

This version is better 

I dislike this much more than Cox's version.   The guitar is nice (but only sporadic, a few notes at a time.  The singing is abysmal.  It's "corny", the kind of country farmers' music that drove me to "Race Music", back in the early '50s.  Thank goodness we made annual visits to Chicago, back then, so I could get records.

Social source share

Actor, game show host, comedian, and anything but an accomplished singer, Robert Q. Lewis was another of  "Winners Destined For Headlines in 1954".  This "gem" was one of his hits:

What surprises me is that this terrible song was written by such excellent Brill Building songwriters, Hal David and Leon Carr.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Actor, game show host, comedian, and anything but an accomplished singer, Robert Q. Lewis was another of  "Winners Destined For Headlines in 1954".  This "gem" was one of his hits:https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UqwoVtKCcRY

We don't seem to have a video insert tool anymore.  How can I upload a YouTube video into a post anymore?  Other posts above still have them.  😟

Just copy (You Tube) and paste the web link (in to the thread) of the you tube video Rob (I was joking as well by the way all versions are yuk IMO)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!