Furthest travelled 45s.

Ha! Ha!  I've bought hundreds of 45s in various cities, towns, and even a couple countryside swapmeets or markets all over England and Scotland, that came from The West Coast of USA, and bought over 50 UK issues in L.A. and a handful I found in The San Francisco Bay Area (about same distance from London as L.A. because, although it is not as far south, it is farther west, than L.A.  Too bad I didn't buy any UK or US, or Canadian 45s when I was in Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur?  Those are about as far as one can go from the East Coast of USA (half way around The World.  😎

Social source share

I once had a Detroit record on Puff Records, that was found in USA, and taken to The UK.  Rod Shard got ahold of it (either it had been found by him or Dave Withers on a USA trip).  He sent it to me, in Los Angeles(at that time) in a swap for some records from me.  I didn't like it enough for the value I swapped to him, so we re-adjusted the trade, and he replaced it with a record I wanted more.  So it was returned to him from L.A by me, either by post, or I hand delivered it to him on my next visit to him (at least once a year, but sometimes 2).  So, it started, issued in Detroit, probably was distributed to another US city, then was found by a Brit, and taken to The Greater Manchester Area, then sent to L.A., then sent back to The Greater Manchester Area.  I don't know where it went from there (probably another city in The UK).  But that's a lot of miles.  🤓

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

Some years back I had a USPS-tracked 45 from eBay go from NYC to LA to Tokyo to LA to NYC and then over to me in the Netherlands. 

Not only a well-travelled 45, but it survived to tell the tale!

I also had one go from NYC to the tiny Caribbean island of Montserrat (10 miles long by 7 miles wide). From there it was sent back to NYC and then on to me in NL. The packaging had a local post office rubber stamp on it that says “misdirected to Montserrat” - which clearly means it ain’t the first time it’s happened.

But I thought it really great that the person in the Montserrat post office took the time to do that rather than take it for themselves or just dump it. I’ve still got that packaging now.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Some years back I had a USPS-tracked 45 from eBay go from NYC to LA to Tokyo to LA to NYC and then over to me in the Netherlands. 

DING! DING! DING!  - Or should I say, CLANG!  CLANG!  CLANG!  - We have a winner!!!!!!  🤪

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

7 hours ago, Robbk said:

DING! DING! DING!  - O should I say, CLANG!  CLANG!  CLANG!  - We have a winner!!!!!!  🤪

Haha - what an accolade. Having said that, I'm sure loads of records have travelled many more miles than that particular one.

Thought I had a screen grab of the USPS travel log, but can't find it. But here's the packaging for the 45 that ended up on a little Caribbean island and still found its way home - eventually!

2081960540_AMontserrat-package.thumb.jpg.959db80ab4079b1d6336c0c2f41fb10e.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

Sold a ujima to Japan and a hearstoppers lp to nu yak.

But, somebody cut the taj mahal lotta love lp down to a 7 inch single with a stanley knife i think around 77 when it was big, and it must have been sold a lot as it seemed to turn up everywhere...

Oh the days when there was a real frenzy to get hold of that elusive tune.

Ed

Social source share

I had many Lp's from Miami when I was there couple decades ago, that had literally just been shipped over, and a bunch of 45's I got another chap in Vancover who said to me he had bought the very same 45s from the Uk when he had visited last in the 8ts.. stuff moves in mysterious ways... Not least Northern Spain, allot of rare soul in Northern Spain...my favourite part of the world 🙂

Social source share

On 09/04/2021 at 08:59, Amsterdam Russ said:

Haha - what an accolade. Having said that, I'm sure loads of records have travelled many more miles than that particular one.

Thought I had a screen grab of the USPS travel log, but can't find it. But here's the packaging for the 45 that ended up on a little Caribbean island and still found its way home - eventually!

2081960540_AMontserrat-package.thumb.jpg.959db80ab4079b1d6336c0c2f41fb10e.jpg

No wonder it got lost if they only addressed it to Russell in Netherlands with no street name, city etc. 🤣

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Hurray! Can't believe it took so long for someone to say that. 😜 

The Netherlands only has 150 people, and only one of them is named "Russell", with no last name?  Having a frontal lobotomy is not a good thing for a record dealer to have.  The post office in USA should have sent it back to the sender, with a note:  "Please list a complete address, when shipping items to countries with more than 14 million people, and where their convention is to use both given and family names!  We want to keep decent relationships with cooperative foreign post offices.  We also suggest you seek medical help!"

• Up vote 1
Social source share

back in 2017 picked up half a dozen US records in a shop in Wellington NZ and brought back to the UK.

all were unknown to me and had to buy blind as no player in the shop when got back 5 rubbish 1 OK but all 6 only cost me 5 quid equivalent in NZ money .

Social source share

17 hours ago, Richard said:

No wonder it got lost if they only addressed it to Russell in Netherlands with no street name, city etc. 🤣

6 hours ago, Robbk said:

The Netherlands only has 150 people, and only one of them is named "Russell", with no last name?  Having a frontal lobotomy is not a good thing for a record dealer to have.  The post office in USA should have sent it back to the sender, with a note:  "Please list a complete address, when shipping items to countries with more than 14 million people, and where their convention is to use both given and family names!  We want to keep decent relationships with cooperative foreign post offices.  We also suggest you seek medical help!"

Of course, it could just be that I used Photoshop to delete my surname and address from the pic. :thumbup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Check this out. Just landed on the mat today. How many 1000's of miles?!

LH134630414US

April 19, 2021, 3:05 pm
Delivered
UNITED KINGDOM

Your item was delivered in UNITED KINGDOM at 3:05 pm on April 19, 2021.
April 17, 2021, 4:40 am
Processed through Facility

UNITED KINGDOM
April 17, 2021, 1:00 am
Processed Through Facility

UNITED KINGDOM
April 16, 2021, 4:23 pm
Departed

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
April 16, 2021, 11:20 am
Departed

TOKYO, JAPAN
April 16, 2021, 7:24 am
Departed

LONDON, UNITED KINGDOM
April 16, 2021, 1:42 am
Departed

TOKYO, JAPAN
April 1, 2021, 1:45 pm
Departed

LOS ANGELES, UNITED STATES
April 1, 2021, 10:55 am
Departed

FORT WORTH, UNITED STATES
March 30, 2021, 6:00 pm
Departed

CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
March 30, 2021, 5:59 pm
Arrived

CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
March 29, 2021, 1:13 pm
Processed Through Regional Facility

CHICAGO IL INTERNATIONAL DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
March 27, 2021, 8:00 pm
Departed

CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
March 26, 2021, 8:07 am
Arrived

CHICAGO, UNITED STATES
March 25, 2021, 9:38 am
Departed USPS Regional Facility

March 25, 2021, 9:38 am
Arrived at Regional Facility

March 21, 2021, 10:19 am
Processed Through Regional Facility

March 20, 2021, 6:41 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

March 20, 2021, 6:41 am
Arrived at Regional Facility

March 19, 2021
In Transit to Next Facility
March 16, 2021, 5:44 pm
Departed USPS Regional Facility

DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
March 14, 2021, 12:55 am
Arrived at USPS Regional Facility

DETROIT MI NETWORK DISTRIBUTION CENTER 
March 13, 2021, 6:13 pm
Departed Post Office

DETROIT, MI 48233 
March 13, 2021, 1:34 pm
USPS in possession of item
DETROIT, MI 48233 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Had one many years ago which I ordered from Craig Moorer. After 1 month no delivery so I contacted him and he checked everything and confirmed my address was correct etc. Fast forward 8 months and there is a knock at the door and the postie is holding the familiar brown cardboard box which he handed over. I had no idea what it was as I had no records on order at the time.

On it was Craig's label but the box was absolutely covered in stamps and stickers from various countries which included US, Malaysia, Japan, Russia and a host of other countries between the UK and APAC. The box was fully in tact and all the 45's were in place and no damage. 

I thought they's gone forever.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!