Furthest travelled 45s.

Posted

How many miles do these things travel?

A recent upgrade of a favourite, showing a Soul Bowl price sticker all the way from Portland.

This 45 must have travelled over the Atlantic at least 3 times☺️

USER_SCOPED_TEMP_DATA_MSGR_PHOTO_FOR_UPLOAD_1617879104984_6785876801554742428.jpeg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 14
  • Views 614
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I once had a Detroit record on Puff Records, that was found in USA, and taken to The UK.  Rod Shard got ahold of it (either it had been found by him or Dave Withers on a USA trip).  He sent it to me,

Had a Clangers LP as a kid so think I win. 

I once saw an Oldham Tinkers album in Rochdale but then I don't get around much.

Posted Images

Posted

I recently bought a UK first issue Deram-  "Who's little girl are you" Danny Williams from a guy in New York.

In 1979 I bought a UK London yellow demo of Darrell Banks in Los Angeles!

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Ha! Ha!  I've bought hundreds of 45s in various cities, towns, and even a couple countryside swapmeets or markets all over England and Scotland, that came from The West Coast of USA, and bought over 50 UK issues in L.A. and a handful I found in The San Francisco Bay Area (about same distance from London as L.A. because, although it is not as far south, it is farther west, than L.A.  Too bad I didn't buy any UK or US, or Canadian 45s when I was in Singapore, and Kuala Lumpur?  Those are about as far as one can go from the East Coast of USA (half way around The World.  😎

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

I once had a Detroit record on Puff Records, that was found in USA, and taken to The UK.  Rod Shard got ahold of it (either it had been found by him or Dave Withers on a USA trip).  He sent it to me, in Los Angeles(at that time) in a swap for some records from me.  I didn't like it enough for the value I swapped to him, so we re-adjusted the trade, and he replaced it with a record I wanted more.  So it was returned to him from L.A by me, either by post, or I hand delivered it to him on my next visit to him (at least once a year, but sometimes 2).  So, it started, issued in Detroit, probably was distributed to another US city, then was found by a Brit, and taken to The Greater Manchester Area, then sent to L.A., then sent back to The Greater Manchester Area.  I don't know where it went from there (probably another city in The UK).  But that's a lot of miles.  🤓

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Bought Aussie issued singles which sold back to someone in Australia so that must count as all the way around the world surely 🤣

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Some years back I had a USPS-tracked 45 from eBay go from NYC to LA to Tokyo to LA to NYC and then over to me in the Netherlands. 

Not only a well-travelled 45, but it survived to tell the tale!

I also had one go from NYC to the tiny Caribbean island of Montserrat (10 miles long by 7 miles wide). From there it was sent back to NYC and then on to me in NL. The packaging had a local post office rubber stamp on it that says “misdirected to Montserrat” - which clearly means it ain’t the first time it’s happened.

But I thought it really great that the person in the Montserrat post office took the time to do that rather than take it for themselves or just dump it. I’ve still got that packaging now.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
4 hours ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

I once saw an Oldham Tinkers album in Rochdale but then I don't get around much.

You never saw one in L.A. or Denver, New York, or Chicago? 🤓

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)
9 hours ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Some years back I had a USPS-tracked 45 from eBay go from NYC to LA to Tokyo to LA to NYC and then over to me in the Netherlands. 

DING! DING! DING!  - Or should I say, CLANG!  CLANG!  CLANG!  - We have a winner!!!!!!  🤪

Edited by Robbk
soul source url
Social source share
Posted
7 hours ago, Robbk said:

DING! DING! DING!  - O should I say, CLANG!  CLANG!  CLANG!  - We have a winner!!!!!!  🤪

Haha - what an accolade. Having said that, I'm sure loads of records have travelled many more miles than that particular one.

Thought I had a screen grab of the USPS travel log, but can't find it. But here's the packaging for the 45 that ended up on a little Caribbean island and still found its way home - eventually!

2081960540_AMontserrat-package.thumb.jpg.959db80ab4079b1d6336c0c2f41fb10e.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I had a package sent UK to Netherlands a couple of years back that went via Singapore. Was sent one a little earlier from Spain I think it was that went via Barbados 🤷🏼‍♂️

soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

Log back in to Soul Source now!
  1. The Furthest Who Regularly Travelled
    All About The Soul by 123-motown on Tue 30 Dec 2008
    • 28 / 1831