Favourite Company Sleeves?

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

I like really hard-to-find sleeves of late 1940s and '50s R&B labels:

Too bad I don't have a Ravens' National 45 to put in this one.  I did buy Ol' Man River from 1949, but that was only on 78 when I bought it.

National.thumb.jpg.7afa6cb53babaea812f45aad6ea1ea46.jpg

RPM.jpg220.jpg

Flair.jpg219.jpg

Crown.jpg221.jpg

Modern2.jpg223.jpg

King.jpg229.jpg

Federal.jpg230.jpg

DeLuxe.jpg231.jpg

Jubilee1.jpg

Gee.jpg213.jpg

Peacock1.jpg216.jpg

Dot1.jpg274.jpg

Flair-X.jpg184.jpg

NRC.jpg

R-Dell.jpg

Strand.jpg201.jpg

The King and Dot ones are so good! I really like that alternative King logo, shame that didn't make it into any actual labels (I assume?)

Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

Here are a few more:

Trumpet.jpg441.jpg.9509272713c10d6472045a9378f009ac.jpg

Wing.jpg239.jpg

VIM.jpg243.jpg

Warwick.jpg198.jpg

Startime.jpg446.jpg

Web.jpg392.jpg

Sara.jpg207.jpg

Festival.jpg

Everest.jpg264.jpg

Rendesvous.jpg287.jpg

Plaza.jpg199.jpg

Aladdin1.jpg

Class1(.jpg).jpg

PeacockGosp.jpg

HASA.jpg195.jpg

Atlantic1.jpg233.jpg

For some reason, I'm a sucker for the labels and/or sleeves that have the faces of the artists. The Aladdin is a great example! Also like the James Brown King label. Probably a whole other thread there though... 

R-2336938-1278077727.jpeg.jpg

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 hours ago, JEGeorge said:

For some reason, I'm a sucker for the labels and/or sleeves that have the faces of the artists. The Aladdin is a great example! 

R-2336938-1278077727.jpeg.jpg

2 Atlantic sleeves- the 1st an early one before they signed the Drifters, La Vern Baker and Ray Charles and a later one- 

AT1.jpg

AT3.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

1 minute ago, Amsterdam Russ said:

Just one sleevely delight from me...

This delightful one cosily wrapping an Argentine 7" of the Apollas classic track - Mr Creator.

567340033_Apollas-MrCreator-Argentcopy.thumb.jpeg.099a723cb3c063a47363b5a079594d9f.jpeg

I can just hear them singing:  "El Señor Creador............... "  Is it sung in Spanish or English?

Social source share

Like many (not all I know) of you, I've alway gathered them company sleeves everywhere I went to fit my own records in. Anytime I could that is. Even gave many to friends who proposed me money that which I've always refused. Because every good record deserves a proper company sleeve if it ever got one ! And my friend's records are my record's friend... What ever that means ; stop no none-sense (I am Belgian as well) 😜

Before the internet I was happy fitting them like I preferred them. For eye match comfort. Not necessary with the contemporary one. I've had the opportunity to venture into new old stock warehouses and have seen many records with their 'proper' company sleeves and now thanks to 'bigboppa' (RIP) site we can all even adjust better the contemporary match. If ever that is ! A most vital site that is hopefully now revived. Alleluia ! 

Those good old days of crate digging are now long gone... The opportunity to meet those company sleeves on records in the record sales box is getting rarer and rarer. The company sleeve monkey business has gone from the rare trading 'connoisseur' community (a bit like the football/base ball card community) to the regular dealer with stacks of company sleeves for sale from $1 up to... Weak I just bought my first one : American Arts.

Scan10004.thumb.JPG.9d214aa8e32ab3910cb0a9167225d743.JPG

A nice company sleeve only looks 'tops' with the record in. It's a combination. For example I love my majors like Uni (looks smashing IMO) even though it's a common 'POP' major company with only few soul releases. But they are great and look the bizz to me. Bringing found memories of my early crate digging days and musical discoveries. The rarer doesn't mean the better once again. Not so common (early blue !) yet classic I love ...

Scan10003.thumb.JPG.424f091e0a22536cb01022f211cd0ed8.JPG

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

12 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

... You won't fool us Robb 🧐, this UK company sleeve is not aiming to dress an American record 😉

Is it MY fault that Red Bird made no company sleeves for their US issues?  I think US Red Bird records look better in British Rec Bird sleeves than in generic, blank white ones.  What is much funnier, is that I keep my 1949-1955 Chicago Al Benson Parrot label records in London Parrot sleeves.  🤣

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 minutes ago, Soul-slider said:

For UK Reggae I love these but I only have a couple myself as they are tough to find...

TROJAN_SLEEVE_1970.jpg.6d9dd70ec8fda5b426fe8aa0e14cb8b7.jpg

Yev these, like the Blue Beat company sleeves have always been tough to come by as they were dressing up their 45's only for a very short time. Unlike the Pama's for example.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

3 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

Like many (not all I know) of you, I've alway gathered them company sleeves everywhere I went to fit my own records in. Anytime I could that is. Even gave many to friends who proposed me money that which I've always refused. Because every good record deserves a proper company sleeve if it ever got one ! And my friend's records are my record's friend... What ever that means ; stop no none-sense (I am Belgian as well) 😜

Before the internet I was happy fitting them like I preferred them. For eye match comfort. Not necessary with the contemporary one. I've had the opportunity to venture into new old stock warehouses and have seen many records with their 'proper' company sleeves and now thanks to 'bigboppa' (RIP) site we can all even adjust better the contemporary match. If ever that is ! A most vital site that is hopefully now revived. Alleluia ! 

Those good old days of crate digging are now long gone... The opportunity to meet those company sleeves on records in the record sales box is getting rarer and rarer. The company sleeve monkey business has gone from the rare trading 'connoisseur' community (a bit like the football/base ball card community) to the regular dealer with stacks of company sleeves for sale from $1 up to... Weak I just bought my first one : American Arts.

Scan10004.thumb.JPG.9d214aa8e32ab3910cb0a9167225d743.JPG

A nice company sleeve only looks 'tops' with the record in. It's a combination. For example I love my majors like Uni (looks smashing IMO) even though it's a common 'POP' major company with only few soul releases. But they are great and look the bizz to me. Bringing found memories of my early crate digging days and musical discoveries. The rarer doesn't mean the better once again. Not so common (early blue !) yet classic I love ...

Scan10003.thumb.JPG.424f091e0a22536cb01022f211cd0ed8.JPG

The pink Motowns all came in generic brown sleeves.  The Blue Motown sleeves didn't start until late 1963, if I remember correctly.  But, I admit to keeping my earliest Motowns in them, and then those directly after them in the red Motowns, because, I want all my records in company sleeves, if it is possible. Same goes for my Tamla records.  My early Gordy records, Miracle, Mel-O-dy, Soul, and VIP are all in 1962-64 Hitsville covers, until they run out, then in the LP photos on white background design 1965-67 Motown Corp. sleeves, as are the later Motowns and Tamlas.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

19 hours ago, Robbk said:

The pink Motowns all came in generic brown sleeves.  The Blue Motown sleeves didn't start until late 1963, if I remember correctly.  But, I admit to keeping my earliest Motowns in them, and then those directly after them in the red Motowns, because, I want all my records in company sleeves, if it is possible. Same goes for my Tamla records.  My early Gordy records, Miracle, Mel-O-dy, Soul, and VIP are all in 1962-64 Hitsville covers, until they run out, then in the LP photos on white background design 1965-67 Motown Corp. sleeves, as are the later Motowns and Tamlas.

That maybe true and to my understanding more likely right. Although on 'bigboppa's site (source I have found out to be not always correctly informing) it indicates blue Motown sleeves from 1961... 

Then the reds without a starting date for those. Up to 1964 for the switch for the black on white 'Hitsville U.S.A.' right after. That seems short lived for so many of those red ones (with variations) floating around...

Social source share

10 hours ago, Tlscapital said:

That maybe true and to my understanding more likely right. Although on 'bigboppa's site (source I have found out to be not always correctly informing) it indicates blue Motown sleeves from 1961... 

Then the reds without a starting date for those. Up to 1964 for the switch for the black on white 'Hitsville U.S.A.' right after. That seems short lived for so many of those red ones (with variations) floating around...

I was around in 1961, in The Chicago Metro Area, and periodically looking for records also in Milwaukee and Indianapolis, and on trips to Los Angeles and San Francisco.  I saw NO Motown or Tamla company covers of ANY kind until 1963.  The Blue Motown covers were first in just 1963.  The red ones in both 1963 and 1964.  The Black Tamlas were out at the same time as both colours of Motown.  The Hitsville covers started in mid 1964, and lasted into 1965.  The LP festooned covers started in 1966, and lasted into the late 1960s.  I'd bet BigBoppa wasn't even alive back then.  The red Motowns were around longer than the blue ones.

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

9 hours ago, Robbk said:

The Hitsville covers started in mid 1964, and lasted into 1965.  The LP festooned covers started in late 1965, and lasted into the late 1960s.  I'd b

I remember seeing the Hitsville covers on releases in 1966.The Lp festooned covers were not used until 1967- if you look at the albums they're current releases. Also the date they started being used (or were manufactured)  is right on the cover .

SOYA.jpg

Date.jpg

Edited by The Yank
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

the blue Motown sleeve looks great. 

Living outside Philadelphia, I. am a fan of the various Jamie 45 sleeves, like this distro sleeve

IMG_7508.jpeg

I generally like them colorful, especially when really crisp. this one is neither but still great

IMG_7509.jpeg

Edited by Djr
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

10 hours ago, The Yank said:

I remember seeing the Hitsville covers on releases in 1966.The Lp festooned covers were not used until 1967- if you look at the albums they're current releases. Also the date they started being used (or were manufactured)  is right on the cover .

SOYA.jpg

Date.jpg

Yes,I remember the Hitsville sleeves still in use in 1966, but I also remember the LP sleeves before 1967 (at least starting in 1966.  I remember when they were only the navy blue version, with earlier LPs than those on this black one, and for many months before the branched out into the other colours (black, red, green, and brown, in addition to newer blue versions, with newer LPs.  I'll see if I can find the earliest blue version.  I'm sure there was a fairly long overlap period of the different sleeves, because the distributors got whatever sleeves were used by the pressing plants, and just like record labels, they used whatever stock they had on hand, not throwing away older designs when a new one came out.

Edited by Robbk
Social source share

15 minutes ago, Robbk said:

Yes,I remember the Hitsville sleeves still in use in 1966, but I also remember the LP sleeves before 1967 (at least starting in 1966.  I remember when they were only the navy blue version, with earlier LPs than those on this black one, and for many months before the branched out into the other colours (black, red, green, and brown, in addition to newer blue versions, with newer LPs.  I'll see if I can find the earliest blue version.

OH YES, please show us those earlier ones if you please can :) 

Social source share

13 hours ago, Djr said:

the blue Motown sleeve looks great. 

Living outside Philadelphia, I. am a fan of the various Jamie 45 sleeves, like this distro sleeve

IMG_7508.jpeg

I generally like them colorful, especially when really crisp. this one is neither but still great

IMG_7509.jpeg

Never seen that Okeh sleeve before, but that is glorious! Something about that colour! 

Social source share

14 hours ago, Robbk said:

Yes,I remember the Hitsville sleeves still in use in 1966, but I also remember the LP sleeves before 1967 (at least starting in 1966.  I remember when they were only the navy blue version, with earlier LPs than those on this black one,

Here's a blue sleeve with the same albums as the black sleeve and the various production dates. If you find  a blue sleeve with earlier albums, please post. 

Blue.jpg

b967.jpg

B368U.jpg

B1268.jpg

B669.jpg

Edited by The Yank
Social source share

while looking for another 45, I stumbled across this 45 in its sleeve, which looks pretty good imo

IMG_7520.jpeg

also found while looking for Love Gonna Pack Up by Sly Slick and Wicked 45:

IMG_7521.jpeg

Edited by Djr
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!