JMAuction - 07/04/2021 - Results!

51 minutes ago, Girdwoodinc said:

Wendy Rene, always sought after by hip hop guys due to the Wu Tang sample but didn’t think it would reach that price - was also released a few months prior with a different flip side 

About 3 times the going rate (& I thought that was high !!! )

Whats on the flip of the earlier release ?

Cheers Paul

Social source share

19 minutes ago, The Yank said:

The 1st release had "What Will Tomorrow Bring" as the B side.

!.jpg

2.jpg

I had always gone with this - She’s Moving away in Jul and What will a couple of months later 

regardless for me an absolutely stunning record that thankfully I have 

4612C150-ACC5-4145-BB86-392A61FB60A1.png

• Up vote 2
Social source share

2 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Meh !

I've been running a site for the sale of extinct seabirds for 40 years and let me tell you madam it's a great auktion !

Funny you should say that Rod my sweet, but I've been sneakily running a tricksy sale of primary foot soldiers of the Dark Lords' armies on the side for the last few years.  It's become a fantastic orction 😉

• Up vote 1
Social source share

7 minutes ago, Theresa said:

Funny you should say that Rod my sweet, but I've been sneakily running a tricksy sale of primary foot soldiers of the Dark Lords' armies on the side for the last few years.  It's become a fantastic orction 😉

So that was you ?

I knew someone was orcestrating that site behind the scenes.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Girdwoodinc said:

I had always gone with this - She’s Moving away in Jul and What will a couple of months later 

I think you're right- I got confused with the Discogs info.

"The Complete Stax/ Volt Singles 1959-'68" has the release date as August 19th.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

55 minutes ago, Halogen said:

£10,020 for a record with multiple marks, and pops and ticks while playing!

I would only want a mint record for that kind of money! 

But dead, dead rare and an awesome floor-filler. Perhaps one of the late, great discoveries on the scene. When you can’t buy a mint copy, you have to settle for second best and sort an upgrade out later.

Social source share

I'm well aware how a real auction works having bid by telephone as an absentee bidder at Sotheby's Christies Sworders on paintings books furniture etc etc fornearly 40  years. In fact every auctioneer has a different method of receiving bids.Some rattle through the bids super fast and don't allow dithering others it's like watching paint dry.I was just unaware that online auctions worked in that way and why does the clock countdown if the auction is to be extended for several minutes? I'll have to scrutinise the rules more closely..However if that is the established  process then fair enough. I suppose i've been using other online auctions as a yardstck.

• Up vote 1
Social source share

32 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

But dead, dead rare and an awesome floor-filler. Perhaps one of the late, great discoveries on the scene. When you can’t buy a mint copy, you have to settle for second best and sort an upgrade out later.

One of the over rated records I've ever heard ..

• Up vote 2
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Modernsoulsucks said:

Just thought you'd wade in with that one did you ?

And surely "birth sleeve" ?

It's a winner from the nascence of its first umbilical chord 😄

Which neatly takes us back to my earlier post - if you want to avoid low-flying snipes, come and visit the JM auction 🐦  Night all xx 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

John's record auctions are great,i am a registered member and bid in the auctions

whenever i want to,i have won some rare gem's and continue to bid whenever i like.

That is the point,absolutely not one person tells me or forces me to bid,the rules

and explanations are there for all to see,nothing hidden,all fair and open to all.

There are always fine Northern Soul,Soul,Motown,etc: records,acetates and test press's

to tempt all buyers,the individuals budget will vary depending on their resources,

common sense tells me that the Mega Rare and "Holy Grail" examples will always

sell for big money,that is the way of the world,if you have the money and want it

then why not.But,again,you are not forced to bid,you do so on your own merits,

win or lose and unless you have really deep pockets,you won't win everything 

anyway,i don't always win,there are other auction sites and dealers to buy from

and not just the UK.

Whoever wins the record or records,i just say good luck to you and best wishes

for the future in what you decide to do with it,whether it be £10 or £10,000.

All the best and stay safe folks.

Edited by Mustang
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

5 hours ago, Girdwoodinc said:

Another fantastic tune by Wendy indeed. Maybe a "first" issue as such if ever, but certainly an alternate release from another pressing plant with 'after laughter' featured as the 'B' side !!! Not a first 'trial and tribulation' from this fantastic record stable... Where a 'B' side becomes an 'A' side. 

If truly a first press the radios must have gone noticeably for this 'B' side. This very pressing with 'she's moving away' I believe to be from the PL (Plastic) pressing plant where the other vinyl (promo & stock) from SP (Speciality) and finally the styrene (promo & stock) from MO (Monarch).

• Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, Theresa said:

😆

I'm looking for a Mighty Plovers if you've got one up your sleeve?

Anyone who seriously collects vinyl should understand how John's auctions work and they have worked like this for some time - if you don't like it, you don't bid ... simples. 

Don't have one up my sleeve , but did go to the 3rd Anniversary and got the patch - always love a patch :) 

And I think its a great tune - wish I had a winning lottery ticket 

image.png.38c18e28f8d173d0433160c13ba00fac.png

Edited by Stevegods
  • Up vote 3
Social source share

6 minutes ago, Frankie Crocker said:

A bit like the Executive Four on Lumar - another ‘overrated record’ and the whole of Motown’s Detroit output, recorded in an echo chamber of a studio? Try reading Temples of Sound by Cogan and Clark to find out about the 60’s recording industry. Maybe visit the Sun, Stax or Motown studios and see the equipment used to produce the sounds.

And hats of to the ‘overraters’, the know-alls who don’t collect records but think Aquamen, Manny Cockadoodledoo and Al ‘Snake’ Wilson are the greatest ever as they play You Tube clips on a smartphone. You’ve convinced me - chuck Arthur Willis in the dustbin with Walter and his Admerations, Saints, Chuck Jackson, Parliaments, Eddie Parker, Delites etc anything sounding too raw and atmospheric for these who prefer CD fidelity.

Arthur Willis.

Years ago you had to go a nighter to listen to these rarer tunes as it was the only places that played them but in todays somewhat sterile,  comfort zone scene you can hear most stuff so  its great to have a record that goes back to what to me its all about. Or reminds me of what the scene used to be like. 

Hope that makes sense. 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

7 hours ago, Frankie Crocker said:

A bit like the Executive Four on Lumar - another ‘overrated record’ and the whole of Motown’s Detroit output, recorded in an echo chamber of a studio? Try reading Temples of Sound by Cogan and Clark to find out about the 60’s recording industry. Maybe visit the Sun, Stax or Motown studios and see the equipment used to produce the sounds.

And hats of to the ‘overraters’, the know-alls who don’t collect records but think Aquamen, Manny Cockadoodledoo and Al ‘Snake’ Wilson are the greatest ever as they play You Tube clips on a smartphone. You’ve convinced me - chuck Arthur Willis in the dustbin with Walter and his Admerations, Saints, Chuck Jackson, Parliaments, Eddie Parker, Delites etc anything sounding too raw and atmospheric for these who prefer CD fidelity.

Blimey ! Hit a nerve there !

I dont like it. Like I said, sounds like it was recorded in a dustbin. I do collect.......I do like most of the others you listed except Delites, (never have).....I wouldn't chuck Arthur in the dustbin, I'd sell it pretty dammed quick & buy 20 or so more records I do like 

• Up vote 3
Social source share

1 hour ago, Merve said:

Blimey ! Hit a nerve there !

I dont like it. Like I said, sounds like it was recorded in a dustbin. I do collect.......I do like most of the others you listed except Delites, (never have).....I wouldn't chuck Arthur in the dustbin, I'd sell it pretty dammed quick & buy 20 or so more records I do like 

Delites - Nor me! Why the heck that is ever played in a dance comp I'll never know (Impossible to dance to) Why the heck dance comps is another question......

A 'Had to be there' tune I do except :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Len said:

Delites - Nor me! Why the heck that is ever played in a dance comp I'll never know (Impossible to dance to) Why the heck dance comps is another question......

A 'Had to be there' tune I do except :wink:

Len :thumbsup:

I was there when Sam first played it in 78. It made my toes curl up.....Fair enough I was - & still am it seems, in a minority 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

13 minutes ago, Merve said:

I was there when Sam first played it in 78. It made my toes curl up.....Fair enough I was - & still am it seems, in a minority 

Top tune in my ever top ten...  dance to it if you dig it. Rare 'soul' is that ! The uncanny. The rest is  a trend, a fashion, Carnaby street or what ever ! Not a scene. Never that...

Edited by Tlscapital
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

11 hours ago, Stevegods said:

Anyone who seriously collects vinyl should understand how John's auctions work and they have worked like this for some time - if you don't like it, you don't bid ... simples. 

Don't have one up my sleeve , but did go to the 3rd Anniversary and got the patch - always love a patch :) 

And I think its a great tune - wish I had a winning lottery ticket 

image.png.38c18e28f8d173d0433160c13ba00fac.png

🤣
Me too, I'll show you my Sandpipers when we're allowed out again.

an-bd-0024.jpg

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Tlscapital said:

Top tune in my ever top ten...  dance to it if you dig it. Rare 'soul' is that ! The uncanny. The rest is  a trend, a fashion, Carnaby street or what ever ! Not a scene. Never that...

I did say I was in a minority 😉......The one I really did like from around the same time from Sam was his Primettes cover up, really Judy Hughes Ocean of Emotion on Crusader. Now that IS a tune. Has anyone on here ever come across one ?

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!