Apple product launch day

Posted

anyone over/under whelmed on these recent Apple launches

Apple just held its first product launch event of the year. It announced a new iMac that ships in seven colors, the new iPad Pro with an M1 chip and support for faster 5G networks, an AirTag lost-device tracking gadget and a refreshed Apple TV 4K with a brand-new remote.

https://www.cnbc.com/2021/04/20/apple-event-live-updates.html

myself be tempted by the ipad pro, maybe apple tv box if money wasn't a concern...

how about you?

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 13
  • Views 382
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Steve say nowadays there's a fair bit of 'crossover'  between different devices, apps and operating systems i use ipad regularly, tried android tablets but just not on the same level for lei

Likewise, have used Macs for many years - both for work and leisure. My biggest concern with these upgrades is the killing off of compatibility with older versions of software and hardware. Durin

Compatibility is not really a problem these days; I've used Macs - iMac's, MacBooks, G4, G5, MacPro for work and home since the 90's, must have had 6 laptops and at least 10 iMacs, got 4 iMacs in the

Posted

Mike. I've never got the whole apple thing because in my mind you would need the whole kit , mac book, ipad  iPhone  apple TV to seamlessly operate everything.  I use a Samsung galaxy s10 phone and Samsung smart TV  but a Hewlett Packard laptop and they work easy together.  Are other manufacturers compatible with iPhone etc.   As they have different Operating system is there a bridge system to link the two  ? 

I know they have a fantastic reputation 

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
32 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

Mike. I've never got the whole apple thing because in my mind you would need the whole kit , mac book, ipad  iPhone  apple TV to seamlessly operate everything.  I use a Samsung galaxy s10 phone and Samsung smart TV  but a Hewlett Packard laptop and they work easy together.  Are other manufacturers compatible with iPhone etc.   As they have different Operating system is there a bridge system to link the two  ? 

Steve say nowadays there's a fair bit of 'crossover'  between different devices, apps and operating systems

i use ipad regularly, tried android tablets but just not on the same level

for leisure in the ideal world (as in if cash wasn't a concern) I would go apple as their devices are a lot mor e intergrated together imo

but would say myself that you can use fairly easily iphones along side hp, samsung devices

anyone else add  ..?

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Mike I use Apple mac Computers for my work, have done for years, I also have iPhone and iPads which all work together seamlessly ... but I am never one who has to be chasing the latest and greatest fad so pay little interest in "launch days".

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Likewise, have used Macs for many years - both for work and leisure.

My biggest concern with these upgrades is the killing off of compatibility with older versions of software and hardware. During the week, for example, I fired up my old G4 iMac so I could play a specific game - Deep Trouble. I can only do so via that machine as Mac OS and hardware updates across the years have rendered the game useless.

The last OS upgrade I did on my 2017 iMac was to High Sierra. Most of my useful software was declared unsupported on that - Microsoft Office 11, for example, and Adobe CS4. Thankfully though, these do actually still work as the alternative would be to go to software subscription models - and rather expensive ones - which I am extremely reluctant to do.

So, every time there's an upgrade in hardware and software, it invariably comes at greater cost than just the price of the new equipment. I dislike this business model, which forces you to upgrade whether you want to or not.

I used to be a huge fan of Apple, but think the company has just become another corporate money-grabbing monster. At the same time, back in the late 90s I used to wear a Google t-shirt (bought from them) because I thought they were a cool company with a great approach to search. Certainly their offering was way better than Lycos, Alta Vista and the other search brands of the day. 

Google changed for the worse, of course, and I would deliberately cross the street to avoid them if they were coming my way. I would nowadays do the same with Apple - even if I do still use their products.

Edited by Amsterdam Russ
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I predominately use Apple products as a differentiator between home life and work life (work life is pretty much all Windows/Android based). The only Apple product I update frequently is my phone, was lucky enough for my mother to donate my last MacBook pro when she switched over to the iPad pro. I don't use Apple TV as I have it on my phone and can cast to the TV (and I don't think I need tags just yet although can see the advantage of slipping one inside my play box when I'm back out and about)

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I have been an apple user since the 9ts, and I could not come off their operating systems now for PC/Windowns, that said Ive simply grown to hate apple in all that they do, Adobe have always been bad enough in the creative apps and programmes they offer, I mean their pricing and strong arm tactics, but I simply dont trust apple these days, I never upgrade my operating system until I have to, I wont update my phone updates because they simply degrade my phone service, their products have become so expensive I haven't bought a new i-Phone in 8 years, I just wont do it, that company has had me and my family, but no More!!!

Rant over..phew....

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I love apple system, far superior to windows and a mac will long outlast a windows based machine. Privacy is far superior too as apple aren’t interested as they make their money from the hardware. I always keep my OS up to date.

I don’t take much notice of launch day though.  The life span of an imac for instance is some years and there is no need to update every new launch for something that operates pretty much the same. 

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

me to Duck Duck go is very good on privacy, Signal is good for any smart phone, and I use proton mail now, with servers in Switzerland! and you know what they are like on privacy!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted
On 22/04/2021 at 11:54, Winsford Soul said:

Compatibility is not really a problem these days; I've used Macs - iMac's, MacBooks, G4, G5, MacPro for work and home since the 90's, must have had 6 laptops and at least 10 iMacs, got 4 iMacs in the office at the moment. Don't really use tablets but got a Huawei Android one. In terms of smartphones though I've only ever had Samsung Android ones, no problems with compatibility whatsoever, keep everything on dropbox and it's seamless, most apps work across both platforms. 

I really do think Apple is treading water though, for at least the last 10 years nothing much has been a big step forward. Once I used to get excited when they launched a new OS  and actually paid for it! Now it's all incremental changes which are not always welcome. More of a pain when you finally have to upgrade and everything is just irritatingly different. 

They do last a long time though - oldest iMac I've got is mid 2008, still works fine.

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

yeah my machine is mid 2011, and is that last model you could easily open up the back and add allot of RAM to, think it has 4 ports, so I have 32gb of memory which I really need to run High Sierra. My machine 'thinks' allot, but I create websites, create artwork on PS Elements, it deals with all that fine :-)  Word however is a nightmare...!

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Apple Id - Sign In Or Up With Apple Id
    Support by Mike on Fri 04 Sep 2020
    • 1 / 420