Black Echoes. Nov 1977. Blackpool Highland closes??

All good things must come to an end!!? Or does it! 

Even the Highland room had more than one last night! Because it really didn't close then!!

It went on in a different format for several years after that. With many Northern Soul alldayers and Soul nights held in the Highland room, to great success and into the early 80's!

Just a bit of nostalgia🙂!

DSC05493  Nov 1977.JPG

Blackpool Mecca Highland Room 001.jpg

In the Highland Room.jpg

Edited by Halogen
Social source share

My first trip was about 79, and it was a soul night. Not sure why our crowd never went earlier, but Cleggy was easier to get to I suppose.

Last trip must have been around 80 or 81 which was a 're opening' one off event, or so it was advertised as.

Realistically though, those lucky enough to have been there at the beginning really were spoiled.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

17 hours ago, Tomangoes said:

My first trip was about 79, and it was a soul night. Not sure why our crowd never went earlier, but Cleggy was easier to get to I suppose.

Last trip must have been around 80 or 81 which was a 're opening' one off event, or so it was advertised as.

Realistically though, those lucky enough to have been there at the beginning really were spoiled.

Ed

Yes we were, late 71 onwards for me. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

9 minutes ago, Chalky said:

There was a topic about the closure of The Mecca I started but I can’t find it.  Any MODs help?

yep sure

will use as a demo of the methods members can use to track down other posts/topics

ouch, can't see any, was it a different title or when abouts was it?

here's a shortcut to the topics ya have started

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/profile/225-chalky/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

search engine for topics by yourself with mecca 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/search/?&q=mecca&author=Chalky&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

Social source share

3 hours ago, Mike said:

yep sure

will use as a demo of the methods members can use to track down other posts/topics

ouch, can't see any, was it a different title or when abouts was it?

here's a shortcut to the topics ya have started

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/profile/225-chalky/content/?type=forums_topic&change_section=1

search engine for topics by yourself with mecca 

https://www.soul-source.co.uk/search/?&q=mecca&author=Chalky&search_and_or=and&sortby=relevancy

I cannot remember Mike, it may be under a different title but was about  the closure of the scenes venues late 70s early 80s

Social source share

• 4 weeks later...

The Highland Room was  always, and remains, at the centre of my personal northern soul experience. In 1972/3 we'd travel the 70 miles there from Barrow, leaving late on a Saturday afternoon either five to a low-slung Morris 1100 or a hired minibus if there was more interest. There was a pub halfway up Central Drive where we'd get changed making sure we all had a tie at the ready to get past the Mecca's doormen. The pub landlord originated from Barrow too so was always welcoming. He always had a spare clip-on tie (useful for a landlord when a punter tries to drag you over the bar) which he'd loan you on condition that you returned it to his mother's house in Barrow.

That photo of the entrance to The Highland Room in this thread still makes the hairs stand up on the back of my neck. Approaching them all you could hear was this low, thumping rumble which brought only excitement of what sounds you'd be about to hear that night that no other venue in the world would be playing. Through those doors it was like entering a private party in a plush setting: low ceiling, wood-panelled walls, and thick-piled tartan patterned carpet. Behind the decks - Tony Jebb (RIP) - a masterful DJ who changed my music world as an 18-year-old.  I'm eternally grateful to Tony for introducing me to Mamie Galore "It Ain't Necessary", Johnny Sayles "Can't Get Enough", Lorenzo Manley "Swoop Down On You", Rufus Lumley "I'm Standing" and Johnny Copeland "Sufferin' City". Happy days.

• Up vote 3
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!