Who was/is Colin Bee?

All through the mid to late 1970's, Colin Bee used to run big adverts in music papers like Black Echoes etc, to sell all the latest Northern Soul pressings/reissues.

There was a lot of them at it, but he seemed to have the latest, newest pressings first.  He ran his business from Surrey. 

Sometimes certain DJ's used to get annoyed, because records that still had a lot of life in them were getting pressed, far to early.  This always caused the record to be dropped from major dj's playlists.

I have always wondered if Colin Bee was his real name? Was he a DJ or promoter? Was he just a leach on the scene? Was he providing a needed service?

DSC05494.JPG

DSC05495.JPG

DSC05492(1).JPG

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Sorry to reply to my own post, but I like the HMV advert to the right of the first picture!😜

Dave Evison, Dave McAdden and Frank Elson buy their records from HMV.         BUT don't let that fact put you off😁😆

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

12 hours ago, The Tempest said:

Never seen a boot of the Illusions  in nearly 40 yrs of collecting ! That one did surprise me ! 👍🏻

Well spotted!  Probably getting hard to find on this boot these days!

Picture of the boot.  Boot is styrene as opposed to the vinyl original.

index  Ellusions you didn't have to leave boot..jpg

Edited by Halogen
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

• 2 weeks later...

why when I am reading this topic am I thinking of a record shop in the bullring Birmingham late 70s?

sure it was a familiar back pages of echoes name such as 'colin bee'

I could be wrong but if am.. does anyone know what was the name?

Social source share

Yes same here bought a lot of boots from him, I didn't know any different at the time, still got them. Had my flat rewired recently, & while shifting stuff around came across a load in a box & thought I'll play them later. Some were decent quality others were dreadful 😆 Think I have some lists somewhere, I'm sure he sold cheaper end originals as well. 

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!