JMAuction - 05/05/2021 - Results!

Saxie Russell is a brilliant nighter record. It has built in allnighter atmosphere!   But that price is the usual madness we have come to expect with these auctions!  Len Jewell is the same, great traditional Northern Soul classic, but about three times more money than I have ever seen it go for!

Edited by Do The 45
  • Up vote 2
Social source share

Edwin Starr - WOW, went for less than half this on eBay within the last week.

Saxie Russell - UNBELIEVABLE, tripling in price. Perfectly understandable though as it’s a great record, now in very short supply as who would part with their copy?

Danny Price is virtually unknown. Odd considering it’s on a major label.

Valentines shot up a fair bit, doubling in price. Another classic that collectors evidently want. Big tune back in the day and one of the best on the label.

With hundreds of potential buyers out there, it’s hardly surprising the wealthiest scoop up the tiny number of scarce or rare records offered in top condition.

Thanks to John for another riveting auction

• Up vote 1
Social source share

35 minutes ago, Martyn Pitt said:

Saxie Russell is a dancers record Steve 😉, awesome loud and booming, but 1500 quids worth? ... somebody thinks so.

🤣. Martin when I was a dancer it wasn't for me. Just like little bit hurt, Keep on keeping on, among others mate. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

22 minutes ago, Winsford Soul said:

🤣. Martin when I was a dancer it wasn't for me. Just like little bit hurt, Keep on keeping on, among others mate. 

I had forgotten about those two days in 1976 Steve 😉, it would be a boring world if we all liked the same thing.

• Up vote 2
Social source share

I doubt there would be many duplicate top 500s if it come to it....

These prices must simply reflect the size of the market for collecting original vinyl.

Its a world wide market place for sure.

£100 grands worth has turned into a £million in twenty years.

Its definitely a serious business these days.

Ed

• Up vote 2
Social source share

15 hours ago, Skegsoul said:

Did sweet pearl really go for £2831 🤔 let our copy go for around the £250 mark not that long ago .

Some of the prices john clocks up are truly jaw dropping 😳.  

Truly amazing

It's a £200 + record and one sold (condition was G+) for just over £50 on Evilbay this month

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373559124451?hash=item56f9dbe1e3%3Ag%3ABFUAAOSwMxRgiV1w&nma=true&si=Eq15Gs7KwCiVWkd4Ty3HgaPHpyc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price cannot be correct and whoever bought it will cry in their cornflakes paid 10x too much, but well done John for getting it.

John's auctions are becoming like watching the Games in Ancient Rome with the Roman Gladiators buying records and us being the audience watching the slaughter. John sitting as the Emperor with his thumb reaching upwards every time one of these items ends.

(I wish I could draw cartoons)

Edited by Blackpoolsoul
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

The one I’m going to find interesting is the ultimates , at least 15 years ago jm sold a copy on auction for £640 ish , I was staggered as I’d paid about 20 some years before but can’t remember exact year and thought at the time of auction it’d make maybe 60! My thought is , who paid all that all them years ago and what must they be thinking about the colossal amount they paid  back then , where are these people from ? They must be very private as if it was a mate of mine I’d know or do they keep it to themselves what they’ve bought and more so the amount they’ve blown and do they have a secret room they keep them in so nobody knows and play them to themselves. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

56 minutes ago, Colnago said:

Where are these people from ? They must be very private as if it was a mate of mine I’d know or do they keep it to themselves what they’ve bought and more so the amount they’ve blown and do they have a secret room they keep them in so nobody knows and play them to themselves. 

Yes, who are these people? I wish they would buy my records!

I would be embarrassed to tell anybody that I had paid any of these way over the odds, prices! 

Edited by Do The 45
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

2 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

Truly amazing

It's a £200 + record and one sold (condition was G+) for just over £50 on Evilbay this month

https://www.ebay.com/itm/373559124451?hash=item56f9dbe1e3%3Ag%3ABFUAAOSwMxRgiV1w&nma=true&si=Eq15Gs7KwCiVWkd4Ty3HgaPHpyc%3D&orig_cvip=true&nordt=true&rt=nc&_trksid=p2047675.l2557

The price cannot be correct and whoever bought it will cry in their cornflakes paid 10x too much, but well done John for getting it.

John's auctions are becoming like watching the Games in Ancient Rome with the Roman Gladiators buying records and us being the audience watching the slaughter. John sitting as the Emperor with his thumb reaching upwards every time one of these items ends.

(I wish I could draw cartoons)

I totally agree the price JM got is insane, but a G+ copy is hardly a relevant comparison, wouldn’t you agree?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Bloody Groundhog day! again! 

we all like a good moan, thats what this thread is right? but can we do other dealers auctions, and then we can moan at a different monkey 🙂 lol 

To be fair I’ve absolutely nothing against jm in fact I sold a collection to him . My post was really just about the ultimates 45 and the buyers 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

1 hour ago, Mal C said:

Bloody Groundhog day! again! 

we all like a good moan, thats what this thread is right? but can we do other dealers auctions, and then we can moan at a different monkey 🙂 lol 

moaning about moaning ain't never a good look

if ya want to discuss other auctions then just start a new topic and post up the results

sure be of interest

• Up vote 1
  • Thanks 1
Social source share

Don't forget though we are talking about an auction site.

There's books and books wrote about the adrenalin pumping as a sale is ending, which translates into extreme behaviour, just to win.

Same on that homes under the hammer, some folks double their initial maximum, and mostly kick themselves after I suspect.

These sky high prices would never be reached in a set sale, because no seller could imagine any buyer would pay that much.

Its a trait that's here to stay, thats for sure.

Ed

Social source share

2 minutes ago, Tomangoes said:

Don't forget though we are talking about an auction site.

There's books and books wrote about the adrenalin pumping as a sale is ending, which translates into extreme behaviour, just to win.

Same on that homes under the hammer, some folks double their initial maximum, and mostly kick themselves after I suspect.

These sky high prices would never be reached in a set sale, because no seller could imagine any buyer would pay that much.

Its a trait that's here to stay, thats for sure.

Ed

Ed. I  wouldn't buy a record of that rarity/ price from ebay unless i personally know the seller and how reputable they are regarding the legitimaticy  of the record and the circumstances. ie who was selling and why. And if I knew all that I would have probably have made them a offer before it went down the ebay route 

Social source share

1 hour ago, Mike said:

moaning about moaning ain't never a good look

if ya want to discuss other auctions then just start a new topic and post up the results

sure be of interest

I will !    I might, I probably wont...

its not really that interesting is it. it's Just moaning for moaning sake, and as you say that's not a good look mike...

btw, no ego's were harmed in the making of this thread, we love our dealers, we wouldn't be without them, as we would have nothing to moan at :-0  he he!

Social source share

22 hours ago, Ladymidnight said:

I totally agree the price JM got is insane, but a G+ copy is hardly a relevant comparison, wouldn’t you agree?

I am sorry I should have explained myself a little more and the maths but I thought the members here would have known

G+ description

Generally worth 10-15% of the Near Mint value. A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be played through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise, scratches, and visible groove wear. While the record will be playable without skipping, noticeable surface noise and "ticks" will almost certainly accompany the playback.  

So to clarify the EVilbay one at £40 G+ and if we said 10% would put a NM copy at £400 not anywhere near £2831

I assume some people have John's guide which has £200 ?

• Up vote 2
Social source share

13 hours ago, Blackpoolsoul said:

I am sorry I should have explained myself a little more and the maths but I thought the members here would have known

G+ description

Generally worth 10-15% of the Near Mint value. A record in Good or Good Plus condition can be played through without skipping. But it will have significant surface noise, scratches, and visible groove wear. While the record will be playable without skipping, noticeable surface noise and "ticks" will almost certainly accompany the playback.  

So to clarify the EVilbay one at £40 G+ and if we said 10% would put a NM copy at £400 not anywhere near £2831

I assume some people have John's guide which has £200 ?

Yes, of course. But in my experience most people, myself included, would never be interested in a G+ copy at all, that’s why I deemed it a less than perfect comparison.

Edited by Ladymidnight
  • Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!