Jesse Davis - Touch Me / You Are My Love

Bree

Too curious not to give it a spin. Couldn't find the songs online so had a listen. Record plays almost perfect would say, no scratches or bumps. Slightly warped though, but weighting it down with a puck helps a lot.

Surprised by how clear the recording sounds. Lot better then the stuff they are pressing modern albums on. The songs are a bit more downtempo though compared to some of his other work.

The specks on the photo are dust, but don't want to clean it wrongly so will let them be for the time being.

Is this sought after? On Discogs not as many people seem to want it as Jesse's other singles, but that also might be because it doesn't seem to have been sold before. Discogs and Popsike don't list any sales history so I would consider it very rare. But is this one also valuable?

7SRY6DA.jpg

eanimHz.jpg

Social source share

On 07/05/2021 at 12:37, Bree said:

I dug up this single from an attic and trying to gauge its rareness. To my untrained eye it looks unplayed and scratch free.

Discogs information is accurate;

https://www.discogs.com/Jesse-Davis-Touch-Me-You-Are-My-Love/release/8830708

It may be rare but not necessarily valuable and as both sides are ballads it will only appeal to those collectors

It gets a mention from Jesses's wife here on the link below

https://www.anorakscorner.com/soul-artists-jesse-davis

• Thanks 1
Social source share

I think compared to his 60’s stuff thiis will struggle in comparison,also because of his unique voice his vocal is overdone on this 45,its a bit to bar music for me! Compared to “room for me” “hang on” and “so full of love” i cant see it will have any appeal to anyone other than jesse collectors! I suppose all his 45’s are rare! I had “so full of love” on “jaboth” which is shockingly rare,and a decent enough tune,but it was a hard sell when i got rid of it!

• Thanks 1
Social source share

Fair enough assessment. Figured that a lack of sales and discussion regarding this single could have to do with the songs on it. They are indeed very "bar music" and bit too much for my taste.

Still cool to have something in hand that's rare and cannot be found on Spotify or Youtube for a young guy like me. Will see if I can get a decent offer on it, otherwise it will go into my collection for curiosity value.

Social source share

3 hours ago, Bree said:

Fair enough assessment. Figured that a lack of sales and discussion regarding this single could have to do with the songs on it. They are indeed very "bar music" and bit too much for my taste.

Still cool to have something in hand that's rare and cannot be found on Spotify or Youtube for a young guy like me. Will see if I can get a decent offer on it, otherwise it will go into my collection for curiosity value.

Put it back in the box and wait for “bar music” to creep its way into northern soul along with all the other sub standard genres over the years! Then sell it for thousands 😂

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!