Reissues

Anyone else feel irritated when a record you’ve spent time, effort and money tracking down an original of is reissued for a tenner?

Willie Tee, Sean Oliver, etc just in the last couple of weeks, and of course thousands more, but I do see red when it’s one of my prized originals 

Double standards to some extent because  I’ve bought some myself, but really only when there’s basically nil chance of me ever owning an original

Any thoughts?

• Up vote 1
Social source share

It used to annoy when I DJd more but all it tends to do is push the price up of the originals with what I buy so I now no longer care.

Its the record industry equivalent of wanking off a bloke behind a pub for a tenner, someone once said to me, which made me chuckle. 

If it’s legit at least the artist might get some dough for their work. 

• Up vote 1
Social source share

What I find more annoying is the actual amount of new releases supposedly in limited numbers. There was a time when the quantity of limited numbers would be in abundance once all those interested had got a copy. It now seems more than ever are buying such 45's leading to second runs or inflated prices from the outset. The sheer number prohibits all but the rich (or indeed those in the know and within touchy feely reach of those putting the product out)  getting their hands on copies. I've given up!!!

• Up vote 1
Social source share

If you're serious about collecting, only want the originals, only collect the originals and have deep pockets, surely that's a different market from reissues of anything made legally and affordable so allowing the artist possibly if still alive, to make a living and the younger generation a chance to own a copy. 

Bootlegs a different subject and hated or should be by everyone,  but still especially the early ones fetch a few quid and I bet the artists never received a penny. 

I think legitimate reissues have a place, go back in time most of the early Motown, released twice or more, most UK releases are effectively re-releases of U.S. first releases, yes a few but not bucketfuls UK only, it's all about demand, the first issue, promo, picture sleeve, acetate, market will always endure .

• Up vote 2
Social source share

1 hour ago, Frankie Crocker said:

Nothing to worry about if you’re sitting on an original copy. The re-issues are for these who are unable to obtain an original. The demand for great music is out there, so we need to face up to the current trend - in a way, it’s not too different to the Grapevine, Inferno and Soul City releases of the 70’s.

Providing the reissues can not be confused with originals, there is no conflict for buyers. If royalties are paid to the artists, somebody could be well pleased with both the money and the recognition. I don’t see these reissues being spun at OVO events but they could well be played at college discos, weddings, pub-do’s etc and spread a little happiness.

The buyer of re-issues today may well be the buyer of your unwanted original 45’s in 20 years time, so good luck to them as they collect the alternatives available.

Agree entirely and at least many of the re-issues of the old stuff now seem to be legit (Outta Sight etc)... my concern is still with the new product, post 2015 onwards really. there definitely seems to be some sort of monopoly on supply / demand of tailor made things

• Up vote 1
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!