What Do You Think Of This?

Pete S

Of course I am expecting the inevitable 'shit''worst record ever' and all that, also 'it isn't soul' but I've been playing this a lot today and it's so catchy I can't get rid off it so I thought I'd send it up to see what you think, nb. it would be far better in mono.

Oh bollocks I'll save you the trouble - it's shit, don't download it laugh.gif

Edited by Pete-S
Social source share

• Replies 25
  • Views 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most active in this topic

Most active in this topic

Of course I am expecting the inevitable 'shit''worst record ever' and all that, also 'it isn't soul' but I've been playing this a lot today and it's so catchy I can't get rid off it so I thought I'd send it up to see what you think, nb. it would be far better in mono.

Oh bollocks I'll save you the trouble - it's shit, don't download it  laugh.gif

link

Even I like it and you know Im a 70s fan HEE HEE :yes:

Social source share

After listening to this about 25 times I have now decided that it is brilliant and will have a row with anyone who disagrees  :D

link

You are going deaf then!

Very similiar in feel to Harold Melvin - get out!

£10.00 then........................?

Social source share

This has gotta be the same Sonics that did a version of Have Love Will Travel and a record called Psycho (White 60's garage band)

Love it!

Jodie x

link

If it is it's on the LP The Sonics Boom (1966) :D

A rock & roll band from Tacoma, WA, the Sonics' original members were Gerry Roslie (lead singer and piano/organ), Andy Parypa (guitar), Larry Parypa (bass), Bob Bennett (drums), and Rob Lind (saxophone). Forming in the wake of the early-'60s success of local favorites the Kingsmen and the Wailers (whose Etiquette label they recorded for), the Sonics combined the classic Northwest-area teen-band raunch with early English band grit (particularly influenced by the Kinks), relentless rhythmic drive, and unabashed '50s-style blues-shouting for a combination that still makes their brand of rock & roll perhaps the raunchiest ever captured on wax. Lead singer Gerry Roslie was no less than a white Little Richard, whose harrowing soul-screams were startling even to the Northwest teen audience, who liked their music powerful and driving with little regard to commercial subtleties. With hit after hit on the local charts (and influencing every local band that ever took the stage), the band inexplicably was never able to break out nationally, leaving their sound largely undiluted for mass consumption. Breaking up in the late '60s (after one ill-fated album attempt to water down their style for national attention), the Sonics continue today to be revered by '60s collectors the world over for their unique brand of rock & roll raunch. Artists Direct.

Social source share

If it is it's on the LP The Sonics Boom (1966)  :shhh:

A rock & roll band from Tacoma, WA, the Sonics' original members were Gerry Roslie (lead singer and piano/organ), Andy Parypa (guitar), Larry Parypa (bass), Bob Bennett (drums), and Rob Lind (saxophone). Forming in the wake of the early-'60s success of local favorites the Kingsmen and the Wailers (whose Etiquette label they recorded for), the Sonics combined the classic Northwest-area teen-band raunch with early English band grit (particularly influenced by the Kinks), relentless rhythmic drive, and unabashed '50s-style blues-shouting for a combination that still makes their brand of rock & roll perhaps the raunchiest ever captured on wax. Lead singer Gerry Roslie was no less than a white Little Richard, whose harrowing soul-screams were startling even to the Northwest teen audience, who liked their music powerful and driving with little regard to commercial subtleties. With hit after hit on the local charts (and influencing every local band that ever took the stage), the band inexplicably was never able to break out nationally, leaving their sound largely undiluted for mass consumption. Breaking up in the late '60s (after one ill-fated album attempt to water down their style for national attention), the Sonics continue today to be revered by '60s collectors the world over for their unique brand of rock & roll raunch.  Artists Direct.

link

Oooh Get her!! :D

Jodie xx

Social source share

I think I'll get a dub cut of this but get it put into mono, see how it sounds, get someone to play it.

I wonder why it showed up as being The Sonics, I took the name off it when I recorded it! Jodie would have got it anyway, they have a very distinctive sound, Psycho must be in my all time top 20 records of any type.

Social source share

Everything on the first two Sonics LPs is absolutely awesome and some of the best music ever recorded in the history of the universe.

Would've been nice if they would've used the mono masters for that recent remaster CD on BigBeat/ACE instead of the inferior stereo ones though... :thumbsup: Let me know if you need the original mono master version of "Don't Be Afraid..." and I'll e-mail it to you, Pete.

Edited by Sebastian
Social source share

Everything on the first two Sonics LPs is absolutely awesome and some of the best music ever recorded in the history of the universe.

Would've been nice if they would've used the mono masters for that recent remaster CD on BigBeat/ACE instead of the inferior stereo ones though...  :thumbsup: Let me know if you need the original mono master version of "Don't Be Afraid..." and I'll e-mail it to you, Pete.

link

Cheers mate, but I just got this one converted and put onto vinyl for my own consumption :yes:

never gonna find the original 45...

Social source share

Oh bollocks I'll save you the trouble - it's shit, don't download it

In the right venue that would be an absolute cult record. It's complete shit to me but right place right time would definitely take that on board. It reminds me of something but I don't know what. Think it might be toothache.

Social source share

In the right venue that would be an absolute cult record. It's complete shit to me but right place right time would definitely take that on board. It reminds me of something but I don't know what. Think it might be toothache.

link

Tall Paul Robinson plays The Sonics and other 6T's garage stuff at his monthly night The GoGo in Edinburgh. He and Angus A GoGo have a guest each month playing Northern Soul. It's a young crowd and a great gig full of people who want to dance. For me it's a chance to play out some records that others would regard as too played out or too well known. Len Barry's 1,2, 3 and Shirley Ellis and The Clapping Song sound wonderful played off 45's in a club. They went down a storm. I've played Patti Austen, the Butlers and other recent Northern plays too. The GoGo is a chance to indulge oneself by playing records that meet the criteria of instant danceability. And you can certainly dance to The Sonics Try their version of Money.

Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!