article on the origins of record collecting in England

• Replies 4
  • Views 575
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

This focuses on the birth of jazz record collecting...pretty interesting...   https://flashbak.com/bombs-jazz-and-junkers-the-birth-of-record-collecting-441959/  

A wonderful article - informative, well-told, and full of romance about pursuits not otherwise documented.  Thank you ever so much for sharing this absolute gem of an editorial!

Yes,really interesting. A nice illustration too,of the importance of that great (but now sadly endangered) institution,the British Junk Shop in the history of record collecting and in social history g

Posted
3 hours ago, Ljblanken said:

This focuses on the birth of jazz record collecting...pretty interesting...

A wonderful article - informative, well-told, and full of romance about pursuits not otherwise documented. 

Thank you ever so much for sharing this absolute gem of an editorial!

• Up vote 5
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Yes,really interesting. A nice illustration too,of the importance of that great (but now sadly endangered) institution,the British Junk Shop in the history of record collecting and in social history generally.Always loved junk shops,even as pre-record collecting boy,when I'd look for old football programmes,war memorabilia etc. Sadly, hardly any left here in South London,not sure about rest of UK.

I have the Sleepy John Estes 1944 UK Brunswick 78' mentioned (one of only a very few 'pure' Country Blues records issued  in the UK in the 30's & 40's) but was amazed to hear about Blind Lemon Jefferson and Blind Blake Paramounts being found -how on earth did they turn up here in the UK?! Only US 78' from that time I've ever found in a junk shop was a 30's Louis Armstrong on Okeh .I'm not a Jazz fan at all but kept it just because I was so amazed to find it-just wish it had been say, a Blind Lemon Jefferson on Okeh!

The article shows that us Brits -well some of us- have always had a love affair with  American 'roots' music, and reaffirms what I have often thought,that Britain was not as musically backward,pre- Rock n' Roll ,as popularly believed; even before R n' R there were a handful of Rhythm & Blues artists in the  40's and early 50's who sold very well here in the UK-notably Louis Jordan, R&B saxophonist Earl Bostic and one of the great forgotten/unsung pioneers of Rock n' Roll, Sugar Chile Robinson,who topped the bill at the London Palladium in 1951 and whose Capitol 78's were all good sellers here (his UK-only 10-inch LP is tough to find though)  Further back,the great white Blues singer and father of Country Music Jimmie Rodgers -a big influence of fellow Mississippian Howlin' Wolf - was a very popular artist in Britain in the 1930's, his 78's selling consistently well.

• Up vote 3
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

Thanks for posting. A really interesting read. Certainly a scholarly article. I could see a lot of resemblance between the jazz junkers of the war years, and the soul crate diggers of the last five decades. Whatever music was popular in bygone eras, there would be a small band of collectors digging for obscure gems years down the road; makes you wonder what Generation Z will be hunting for as new vinyl and CD’s barely exist.

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now

Join Soul Source

A free & easy soul music affair!

Join Soul Source now!

Jump right back in!

1. Record Origins
    Look At Your Box by John Elias on Sun 04 Mar 2007
    • 4 / 534