Do you insure your collection?

Followers 6

Posted

I've been uploading my record collection up on to Discogs, not just soul but all my CD's etc as well, it's still a work in progress, 

As I have been going I have noticed that Discogs values your collection at the same time, minimum, medium & maximum

My question is, do you insure your collection? and if you do which valuation do you take? I know from watching Antiques Roadshow and such they always give a higher valuation for insurance purposes so would you go by the the higher documented value displayed on Discogs, given that is is a worldwide valuation resource?

I'd be very interested to hear your thoughts

atb, Andy

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share
  • Replies 5
  • Views 710
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

I did for 2 years. but it cost way too much money. So, I stopped.  If you have a fire or major theft, you'll never be able to replace them, anyway.  You'd spend way too much money over a long period o

Hi Andy, I don't have my records insured, but they now are locked away behind a roller shutter door. We got burgled years ago, and it happened while we were at a soul night.  I saw that my r

Ha!  Ha!  I just thought of a use for those "Nuclear War underground survival shelters people dug into the ground during the panic of the 1950s.  If they are sealed well, one's records could be safe f

Posted Images

Posted

Hi Andy,

I don't have my records insured, but they now are locked away behind a roller shutter door.

We got burgled years ago, and it happened while we were at a soul night.  I saw that my record box had been opened, I raced to it in a panic, only to find they hadn't taken a single one - What's wrong with my records?! :D

Insurance wise, I'd say highest valuation.  But rather than insuring, I'd look at the security for them.

Len :thumbsup:

• Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

I started doing the same with Discogs a few years ago and, like you, it's a work in progress. My soul records are pretty worthless but I've got some other stuff that's worth a fair bit. Did think about insuring them separately but haven't got round to it. 

I used to work in insurance assessing for a while and saw enough devastating house fires, floods and escapes of water to be aware that the whole lot could go up in smoke at any time.

In the meantime I'd rely on the upper Discogs valuation and probably claim for the higher value ones and a lump sum for the rest. My policy is capped for single items and a maximum value for contents but I don't think the lot is worth that much.

As Robbk says though it wouldn't be that viable to replace them, I'd just take a cash settlement!

soul source url
Social source share
Posted (edited)

Ha!  Ha!  I just thought of a use for those "Nuclear War underground survival shelters people dug into the ground during the panic of the 1950s.  If they are sealed well, one's records could be safe from, heat, fire, and flood!!!  And pretty reasonably safe from theft, too!!! 🤣

Edited by Robbk
  • Up vote 2
soul source url
Social source share
Posted

The record collector's version was slightly more expensive - 

shelter.jpg

• Up vote 1
soul source url
Social source share

Get involved with Soul Source

Add your comments now